Thunderbird 2

rridgely

• 1 month later...

Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 is released: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

What's New in Thunderbird 2.0.0.4

Release Date: June 14th, 2007

- Security Update: The following security issues have been fixed:

MFSA 2007-15 Security Vulnerability in APOP Authentication

MFSA 2007-12 Crashes with evidence of memory corruption (rv:1.8.0.12/1.8.1.4)

- New Language: Korean is now available.

Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 is released: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

What's New in Thunderbird 2.0.0.4

Release Date: June 14th, 2007

- Security Update: The following security issues have been fixed:

MFSA 2007-15 Security Vulnerability in APOP Authentication

MFSA 2007-12 Crashes with evidence of memory corruption (rv:1.8.0.12/1.8.1.4)

- New Language: Korean is now available.

How did it go from. 2.0 to 2.0.0.4?

Even so it skipped 2.0.0.1 , 2.0.0.2, 2.0.0.3. I have never seen Firefox do this and they are both Mozilla. Anyways I will update as always. ;)

I think this is the third time that they have 'skipped' versions to get back into sync with Firefox, Anthony. I remember them doing that at least a couple of times before. The problem is that there are more updates for Firefox than Thunderbird. Every now and then, Mozilla gets a little 'anal' and wants them to be the same. Then Firefox will have to bump another version while Thunderbird doesn't need one ... and so the cycle begins once again.

I think they should just let the versions go where they go. It gets very confusing to the average user. Most think: "Wow, did I miss all of those updates? What happened to the updater in T-bird?" :blink:

I think this is the third time that they have 'skipped' versions to get back into sync with Firefox, Anthony. I remember them doing that at least a couple of times before. The problem is that there are more updates for Firefox than Thunderbird. Every now and then, Mozilla gets a little 'anal' and wants them to be the same. Then Firefox will have to bump another version while Thunderbird doesn't need one ... and so the cycle begins once again.

I think they should just let the versions go where they go. It gets very confusing to the average user. Most think: "Wow, did I miss all of those updates? What happened to the updater in T-bird?" :blink:

What if you did miss an update' wouldn't the last "latest" update cover all previous updates? :mellow:

What's the best way to install it? Backup the user profile and uninstall 1.5 first, or can you just upgrade by running the exe file?

An uninstall would be cleaner but it would mean loading add-ons again.

When you uninstall Thunderbird, you don't lose messages, add-ons or settings. Just uninstall TB from 'Add/Remove program' and then install new version.

*Just don't manually delete C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Thunderbird folder, because there those add-ons etc. are stored.*

What if you did miss an update' wouldn't the last "latest" update cover all previous updates? :mellow:

Of course it would. But you have to admit that 'jumping' versions just to keep in sync with another product in your lineup is kind of an odd thing to do. It really goes against how any software is 'versioned'. You don't just skip across numbers for the sake of version unison, do you? How do you arrive at an "0.0.4" release from an "0.0.1" without an "0.0.2" or "0.0.3"? I really can't think of any other software product that does this. It's just very odd from a 'traceability' aspect ... but it is their product and they can do what they want, I guess.

I don't know about this. When I say "update" I mean the check for updates option in TB/FF. When this is used they do not download the whole program. They download and install the patch/update. So if you were on version 2.0.0.4 and skipped 2.0.0.5 I don't think using the updates would install 2.0.0.6. properly because you are missing the previous update. Of course, as mentioned earlier, you could download the whole program over your current version and you would get the whole package up to that point. There is a difference though between doing that and using the internal updater.

So if you were on version 2.0.0.4 and skipped 2.0.0.5 I don't think using the updates would install 2.0.0.6. properly because you are missing the previous update.

That may or may not be true. I guess it would depend on what is contained in that specific update ... even guys who write the small update file could miss something from a 'missed' version.

Actually there have been historical problems doing an 'update' just from one version to the next. I have found that the only way to do Mozilla products right is to use the full-install version. I uninstall the old too first and then install the new one. I've been using Mozilla products for many years and have never had any problems updating by doing it this way.

Actually there have been historical problems doing an 'update' just from one version to the next. I have found that the only way to do Mozilla products right is to use the full-install version. I uninstall the old too first and then install the new one. I've been using Mozilla products for many years and have never had any problems updating by doing it this way.

I have been fortunate in that I use the internal update and just download the patches and have had no problems with Firefox. I just started using Thunderbird and this update went well using the internal update.

I just use the automatic update aswell, no problems here,

Though I haven't compared the stability to a fresh install.

When I see 'missing' versions I just assume they where internal (without a public release)...

fireryone

Updates will work just fine 19 out of 20 times. But there have been many cases where every update brings problems for users on different Mozilla forums (just look at Mozillazine after any given update). Things like "Firefox won't shut down" ... "my bookmarks are gone" ..... lost my profile" .... "running very slowly" ... "won't start". Things like that. In almost EVERY case, the user has done an update and not a full install. Not that I'm saying that you always need to do it, but I would suggest doing it at least every third version to 're-stabilize' the program.

But even though most of these are problems with Firefox updates, I don't take any chances with Thunderbird because they share a lot of similar 'parts'.

It might be a small inconvenience to download and add the full install, but I find that it's a small price to avoid a potential problem.