Limewire

Canary

Limewire - which used to work fine on my computer - can't now connect, and I think it's because of my security, which is AVG Free Edition.

But I can't find anywhere on AVG where I can add Limewire to a 'safe list'.

Any ideas?

Limewire - which used to work fine on my computer - can't now connect, and I think it's because of my security, which is AVG Free Edition.

But I can't find anywhere on AVG where I can add Limewire to a 'safe list'.

Any ideas?

Maybe they had a crash. Saw a similar post on another forum.

What is your OS?

Since reading this a few days ago:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20060227/0211220.shtml

I have been using KTorrent. Works great.

My only suggestion is to get eMule. It is the best system out there!

I've installed eMule but now I haven't got a bloody clue what to do next!

Can someone tell me how to use it? lol

For a start, I can't for the life of me see how to download files . . .

I've installed eMule but now I haven't got a bloody clue what to do next!

Can someone tell me how to use it? lol

For a start, I can't for the life of me see how to download files . . .

Actually - I've now registered on the eMule forum, so perhaps that's the best place for me to ask for help!

Yeah, its a bit confusing at first, but once you learn how to use it and configure it, its awesome.

If you have a router, you have to set up a static ip, and then use port forwarding. Basically you are opening two ports-once for incoming and one outgoing to allow the mue to work. The static ip keeps you set up so that everytime you shut off your computer and turn it back on, it can still find you and your ports.

As well, emule is a "credit" based system. The more you let people upload from you, the more you can download. People say emule is slow, which it is compared to other systems, but the trick is to leave it on for long periods of time. I havent shut mine down for a couple of weeks, and i actually had to configure it to slow down as it was downloading so fast that my hard drive got full over night. You can also set up individual folders so that you can put only certain things from your computer to be uploaded to others.

The other great thing about emule is its own search engine. You can type in pretty much anything, and get hits for downloading. For instance, I was looking for some nice walls for my computer, and found over 10000 of them by various artists that they uploaded. I got some beautiful stuff.

Just so you know, there is emule, and emule plus. Both are good, and ive used them both at different times, but i prefer the original emule. As well, they are more friendly on their forum. :)

Let us know how it works. I've tried a number of different systems, and always come back to emule. :)

Thanks for that.

I've been chatting on the eMule forum, but I'm now more confused than ever! They obviously mean well, but I don't know what they mean by ports and private Ip etc.

I'm just looking for a basic Janet and John idiot's guide - the help section on eMule just gives me a headache!

Thanks for that.

I've been chatting on the eMule forum, but I'm now more confused than ever! They obviously mean well, but I don't know what they mean by ports and private Ip etc.

I'm just looking for a basic Janet and John idiot's guide - the help section on eMule just gives me a headache!

With KTorrent, you search for a file to download, could be through this link (http://www.torrentz.com/), although it doesn't have to be, browse to its' page, click download, everything gets set up automatically, including router. Starts downloading @ 800KB/s average speed (each) for a 4GB movie. From there you need to learn to fine tune it to get it to download faster. They have their own forum.

I know it sounds complicated, but, you have to remember, this is Linux. B)

I've never used torrents yet, but they are very popular. If you are so inclined, I am sure they are an excellent alternative. For me, if ain't broke-don't fix it. And eMule has been a great experience for me.

I've known a lot of people (myself included) that had problems with limewire, so i stay away from it personally. But it is popular, so if you feel safe using it, i guess like all other things, use at your own risk. :)