mouse not responding!

Adel

I think it was just a matter of time before I messed up.

From time to time I used to have this "page cannot be found" error or whatever that is. Yesterday I was checking some forums & I came across a thread describing exactly the same thing I have w/ my comp.

There were two suggestions to solve the problem. They both suggested to go to Start- run & then type ( in my case "ispflush" I am not too sure as I am at work now, perhaps I'll check it & post it once I get home).

Anyways, I did that, pressed ok after lots of thinking. The result: I can't open pages/close them or click the back button. Can't even go to Start- Turn off.

Iam stumped. I know I did sth stupid.

So any help resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

I think it was just a matter of time before I messed up. 

From time to time I used to have this "page cannot be found" error or whatever that is.  Yesterday I was checking some forums & I came across a thread describing exactly the same thing I have w/ my comp.

There were two suggestions to solve the problem.  They both suggested to go to Start- run & then type ( in my case "ispflush"  I am not too sure as I am at work now, perhaps I'll check it & post it once I get home).

Anyways, I did that, pressed ok after lots of thinking.  The result:  I can't open pages/close them or click the back button.  Can't even go to Start- Turn off.

Iam stumped.  I know I did sth stupid.

So any help resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Hi guys it's me again. Well I changed the mouse & voila. So far it is working perfectly. I hope I don't run into that problem again.

BTW, in run I typed ipconfig/flushdns. Does that have any effect on the mouse? Just would like to know.

Hi guys it's me again.  Well I changed the mouse & voila.  So far it is working perfectly.  I hope I don't run into that problem again.

BTW, in run I typed ipconfig/flushdns.  Does that have any effect on the mouse?  Just would like to know.

No it does not.

The problem was more than likely with your PS/2 port/connection. Try cleaning it of dust and such and it might start responding again. Often just a reboot helps, so use that Windows key to navigate to Start and Restart. ;)

No it does not.

The problem was more than likely with your PS/2 port/connection.  Try cleaning it of dust and such and it might start responding again.  Often just a reboot helps, so use that Windows key to navigate to Start and Restart.  ;)

Thx Tarun,

I did try what you said about the port connection being dusty, so I tried w/ the old mouse for almst 1& a half hrs & it was fine.

Nice to have people willing to help.

Thx Tarun,

I did try what you said about the port connection being dusty, so I tried w/ the old mouse for almst 1& a half hrs & it was fine.

Nice to have people willing to help.

I had something similar happen on an old computer. I called tech support when I got fed up, and they said. "You need to buy a new mouse." Ironically I already had a new one ordered.

When using wireless mouse "ALWAYS CHECK THE BATTERIES".

From years in maintenance, always check the easiest things first.

Batteries, fuses, connections, plugs, etc. (before throwing objects, trashing desk, etc :lol: )

I love sports, premium cigars, among other things....GO BROWNS, INDIANS (yeah I'm a die hard), BUCKEYES, YSU, NAVY.....and ND.

Actually there is a difference in report rate, especially in 9x-kernel environments. With Windows 98 and a PS/2 mouse, the report rate is defaulted to 60 samples per second, whereas a USB mouse defaults to a much higher report rate, making the mouse cursor appear more smooth. Windows NT and higher set both the PS/2 and USB default rate higher than 60... but the difference doesn't stop there...

Um, if you're referring to DOS, USB works fine in it. I access thumb drives and external CD-ROM drives all the time with DOS USB drivers, and USB mice will work in DOS if USB legacy support is enabled and supported by the BIOS... furthermore, Linux and BSD support USB, which are not Windows environments :PPPP

With USB, not only can the sample rate be higher, but the size of the samples can be higher, too, resulting in the confusing "DPI" that nobody seems to understand (even technicians). USB 1.0 is about ~48 MHz.

One more thing... PS/2 is a legacy device because it rides the 8.3 MHz ISA bus (well, nowadays it runs at a whopping 11MHz), which is a piece of crap that we need to ditch but for some reason still exists even in AMD 64 architectures... argh. die ISA, die... Once ISA and everything relying on it is gone, computing will get a bit better..

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

• 4 weeks later...

USB mouses are better than PS/2 mouses.

Optical mouses are better than ball mouses, they do not require cleaning, and they make a cool light! ;)

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

For the past few weeks my USB mouse started acting up. First I thought it was the table I have my system on, but after polishing it the thing was still jerky. The strange thing is after running NTRegOpt the problem was solved.