ADSL

MikeW

Can anyone advise if there is any advantage or speed gain using a router and network card instead of a USB modem. Or do you know any website where this has been discussed.

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

• 2 weeks later...
Is this what you're looking for ? Speed comparison or Which interface ...?

Yes this is what I was after Glenn Thank you.

I have used a USB modem for the past 3 years without any real problem. However, just been given an ethernet router and am trying this out, seems much the same as the USB, but at least there is no additional drivers to load.

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

• Moderators
Is this what you're looking for ? Speed comparison or Which interface ...?

Learned something from your speed comparison link today Glenn.

I've got 7 USB 2.0 sockets on my pc. 4 at the back and 3 at the front.

After reading that link, and checking with the Device Manager, I am now aware that one of them is a PCI Class USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller, which is apparently a high speed USB 2 comparable with Firewire.

By the way, these are not my words, just what I've read.

Now, how do I tell which is the enhanced USB, as all the sockets are labelled with the identical USB icon? (apart from plugging in each one and seeing if there's any difference.) :P

After that ones been answered, could anyone tell me exactly what my 1394 socket is for, and what uses does my firewire socket have besides connecting to something like an MP3 player.

I could go to Wiki or google search for the answers, and I'm not being lazy here, but you guys can usually explain things in a more straightforward way. 1%20(78).gif