CCleaner & Windows Vista Errors

Alrighty, a few posts have already been created concerning the widespread error in which CCleaner is not able to be automatically ran while User Account Control (UAC) is on. Otherwise, you have to o.k its running each time that you turn your computer on, which is a necessary hastle that i dont believe can be altered by CCleaner as either way your modifying the registry and it will prompt you regardless. This goes for probably nearly every registry cleaner.

The second problem lies within Windows Defender. When you set CCleaner to automatically run itself at startup youll be prompted that a startup item has been blocked. When you go within Defender to "Enable" CCleaner you are unable to do so. If you click help it says to check for an updated version of the program and whatnot. This is a very frustrating problem and i havnt quite found a way around it. I figured that i would let you guys know. Perhaps theres already a fix i dont know about, id be happy to know if it exists. You Mods know of anything about this?

*Note attached .jpg of the problem*

post-12420-1175050889_thumb.jpg

post-12420-1175050889_thumb.jpg

Alrighty, a few posts have already been created concerning the widespread error in which CCleaner is not able to be automatically ran while User Account Control (UAC) is on. Otherwise, you have to o.k its running each time that you turn your computer on, which is a necessary hastle that i dont believe can be altered by CCleaner as either way your modifying the registry and it will prompt you regardless. This goes for probably nearly every registry cleaner.

The second problem lies within Windows Defender. When you set CCleaner to automatically run itself at startup youll be prompted that a startup item has been blocked. When you go within Defender to "Enable" CCleaner you are unable to do so. If you click help it says to check for an updated version of the program and whatnot. This is a very frustrating problem and i havnt quite found a way around it. I figured that i would let you guys know. Perhaps theres already a fix i dont know about, id be happy to know if it exists. You Mods know of anything about this?

*Note attached .jpg of the problem*

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a new VISTA laptop and LOVE it, I downloaded the program and found the exact same issue. I want it to run on start up also, but went thru all I could think of. And came to the same conclusion, its a bug of somekind. I don't know what else to try, anyone have an idea I would love to know.

Thanks,

DW001

• 2 weeks later...

That doesn't seem to really address the problem. The problem as I see it is that Defender doesn't know what the program is and doesn't allow you to give it the OK. That thread is about enabling it at startup, which isn't the problem I'm having.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone learn anything useful?

I found where you can set the program to run as administrator but that doesn't fix the startup issue.

Find where the program file(CCleaner.exe) is, right click it and click properties. Click on the compatibility tab and at the bottom there is a check box to run as administrator.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone learn anything useful?

I found where you can set the program to run as administrator but that doesn't fix the startup issue.

Find where the program file(CCleaner.exe) is, right click it and click properties. Click on the compatibility tab and at the bottom there is a check box to run as administrator.

for a more secure, restricted user only clean try this solution (works with most other software too)

goto the CCleaner install folder (usually c:\program files (x86)\CCleaner)

make a copy of cccleaner.exe

rename the copy of cccleaner.exe to cccleaner-users.exe (the name dosen't really matter aslong as its different)

make a new shortcut / update the old one to point to this new file

et viola! - windows user control now lets a restricted user run CCleaner without needing administrator rights - of course it can't clean system level tracks but it can still clean the restricted users tracks

how about making the next version of CCleaner perform this trick automatically on vista systems?

remember that on each CCleaner update you will need to redo this trick or the CCleaner-users.exe will be based an old version of the CCleaner executable

-f173