New GUI for JK Defrag

Anthony A

There is a new release of the GUI for JK Defrag. Here is the link http://www.emro.nl/freeware

Since this does not require an "install" since you just unzip it to a folder how do you update to the new version from the older version? When I select update from within the older version it downloads the new zip. Am I supposed to delete the older version or just unzip the new one over the older one. 99% of my installed programs just update and do their thing these so called "no install" programs are a little different.

There is a new release of the GUI for JK Defrag. Here is the link http://www.emro.nl/freeware

Since this does not require an "install" since you just unzip it to a folder how do you update to the new version from the older version? When I select update from within the older version it downloads the new zip. Am I supposed to delete the older version or just unzip the new one over the older one. 99% of my installed programs just update and do their thing these so called "no install" programs are a little different.

I just paste it over the old gui files EXCEPT for the JKDefrag GUI config settings file.

OK thanks.

While I was looking around in the folders I noticed some weird folder activity with JK Defrag. I have it installed in C:/Program Files/JK Defrag. I just unzipped it there. Well looking around it seems that JK Defrag duplicates most of it's files in C:/Documents and Settings/User Name. They are not in a folder they are just sitting there. It looks like most of the contents from JK Defrag GUI. I deleted this stuff and when I ran JK Defrag it recreated that stuff again in the same spot. I checked this out on two machines and it's the same on both. Take a look and see if you have these files I'm talking about. Very strange.

When you open "JkDefragGui.exe" some files are extracted to the same folder. If you open the Gui file in "C:/Documents and Settings/User Name" those files are extracted there.

It seems that can there are a Shortcut'settings trouble in your case.

When you open "JkDefragGui.exe" some files are extracted to the same folder. If you open the Gui file in "C:/Documents and Settings/User Name" those files are extracted there.

It seems that can there are a Shortcut'settings trouble in your case.

I didn't open the GUI file in C:/Documents and Settings/User Name. I down loaded and extracted the package to C:/Program Files/JK Defrag. When I use JK Defrag it is recreating most of the install files in C:/Documents and Settings/User Name. Even when I delete the files in C:/Documents and Settings/User Name they get recreated when I use JK Defrag. Is that clearer now?

You are right it is a short cut problem. This only happens when I use the short cut.

What I did was pin JKDefragGUI.exe to the start menu for easy access. I checked the properties and it is pointing to C:/Program Files/JK Defrag which is where I have the program installed. I don't understand why all these files are being created in C:/Documents and Settings/User Name when I use the short cut?

I don't understand why all these files are being created in C:/Documents and Settings/User Name when I use the short cut?

Because the settings in Shortcut are erroneous. Try to change the settings like this:

Right click in Shortcut icon > "Properties" > tab "Shortcut" > in "Target" box write "C:/Program Files/JK Defrag/JkDefragGui.exe" > in "Start in" box write "C:/Program Files/JK Defrag" > "Apply" > "OK"

Now anymore the files are recreated in your "User Name" folder when you use the Shorcut! If "Start in" box is empty or with your "User Name" path the files are recreated again...

A computer is like a woman: the problem are their settings...

1%20(201).gif

Thanks MajoMo.

Here is what is going on. When I installed Jk Defrag GUI to C:/Program Files/JK Defrag I right clicked on the JKDefragGUi.exe and selected "pin to start menu". This created a start menu entry and caused the problems I explained earlier. I followed your instructions but when I right clicked on the start menu entry for JK DefragGUi.exe I didn't get the options you advised me to change. So I went into C:/Program Files/JK Defrag and right clicked the JKDefragGUI.exe and selected create short cut. This created a short cut entry in the folder. Than I right clicked that short cut and selected pin to start menu and it works fine. I guess you have to create a short cut first than pin it to the start menu. Just right clicking the exe and selecting "pin to start menu" didn't work properly this time. Learn something new every time I visit this forum.

Does jkdefrag do boot time and pagefile defragmentation?

Does jkdefrag do boot time and pagefile defragmentation?

It can do boot time defrag but it requires the use of another program - http://www.blueorbsoft.com/scandefrag/

It doesn't defrag pagefile AFAIK but you can use PageDefrag for that, or simply turn off the pagefile before defragging and turn it back on after defragging and it should be defragged. Personally I've never seen the need, I got rid of PageDefrag a while back as every time I checked my pagefile it was never fragmented (and this has been the case on both computers I've owned)

I finally got around to using Jkdefrag and I also downloaded the JKdefragGUI rar file. I first unzipped the JKdefrag file from Kessel's com and ran that, thinking that the GUI was just an additional exe file that I could add later.

What I didn't know was that the JKdefragGUI from http://www.emro.nl/freeware included the latest version of JKdefrag too!

I compared the two uncompressed folders and noticed that the GUI program contains the following files which I'm going to just copy into the JKDefrag directory (ok, I know that I could just copy the entire GUI folder over as it has the same files, but I feel more comfortable using the files downloaded from Kessels.com. :)

The GUI files I'm going to copy into the JKdefrag v3.7 directory are:

emro.gif (probably unnecessary)

JkdefragGUI.exe

JKdefragGUI.ini

jt.exe - this is an Microsoft task scheduling file from 1999 that seems to be included by Emro.nl

Before I run the GUI, I'm going to do a Zsoft analysis to see what additional changes it makes.