Laptop Specs

Jamex

Graduating from high school this june, im looking for a good high performance laptop to basically replace my old and dying desktop. Im using university as an excuse to get my mom to buy for me a decent gaming laptop. This is what im looking for.

A 2.0 ghz processor at least, but would prefer something higher, not completely out of the way like 3.0, i still want to be economical

A decent video card, since im looking at a laptop, probably something close to GeForce 7900 go, or whatever is good.

At least 2 gigs of ram.

Hard drive isnt really an issue, because i plan on getting a large external. My friend installs everything on his external and it seems to work.

And finally, Windows XP. Vista , whatever its future intentions might be, apparently isnt quite ready for supporting games.

Ive done a bit of research, and am told that generally the best prices you can find are at dell.

I also discovered that a company called rock (rockdirect.com) in the uk is highly regarded, and after the exchange rate has prices pretty comparable.

Overall, what im really looking for is some suggestions for companys or sites that i could check with decent pricing. i want to keep it under or around $3000 US. I hear alien ware has recently been bought out by dell so short of the case, dell basically provides the same thing. other than that, theres really little more out there that i know about the competition, and the best prices. Thanx for any suggestions. I really need it, my current ancient computer is starting to fail finally, and is even having trouble supporting war craft iii. You can imagine what im limited to on that comp.

• Moderators
My friend installs everything on his external and it seems to work.

Some software won't run when it depends upon some .dll or .ocx file(s) in system32, thus some software must be on drive C: or whatever partition Windows is installed upon just for it to load, albeit it's rare.

Since I don't know squat about laptops I'll let someone qualified answer those q's.

Sorry, I too am keeping an eye out for good priced gaming capable laptop, and cant recommend anything atm.

My friend installs everything on his external and it seems to work.

Also, make sure that your external is connected every time you use CCleaner (Issues clean) or it will find lost of missing files related to in the registry.

fireryone

Thanks. Also, i mean to point out that when i mean everything, i basically mean games and such, personal programs like video editors, etc. Any drivers or required programs will obviosly be installed on the desktop. Its not like ill have a shortage of space or anything, most of the places ive checked out generally have a minimum space offer of 80 or 100 gigs.

• Moderators

I don't know much about laptops and what to get, however if I had the money and some extra money to upgrade the RAM to 2GB I'd give this Gateway a whirl. I don't know what Formula 1 game HSN had playing on that laptop but I want that game too as it looked very realistic.

I havent done any gaming on my laptop, but I have been very happy with the performance so far with everything else. The specs are in my signature. I currently have 2GB of RAM, but it can be upgraded to 4GB so I have some room to grow.

I agree with your comments about hard drive space-to me its not really that important either as externals work very well and are pretty handy, and you can throw them in your laptop case and take them with you anywhere too. ;)

I don't know much about laptops and what to get, however if I had the money and some extra money to upgrade the RAM to 2GB I'd give this Gateway a whirl. I don't know what Formula 1 game HSN had playing on that laptop but I want that game too as it looked very realistic.

Thanx for the suggestion, though unfortunately i dont know how easy it is to mod a laptop. On top of that the processor doesnt really meet what im looking for. Thanx though, its helps. i can check out what else hsn.com has to offer

:)

Hey there Jamex.

Envy A228

^^---- Check that out. I configured one to what i would want and it came to around $2800, putting you right at your $3000 mark. As you know Dell is to XPS and Alienware as HP is to their Voodoo pc's. Given that im an HP fan through and through i would def go for a Voodoo PC if i had 3000 to spend on a gaming laptop.