What the heck is this file - zzzzzzzz.zzz?

JDPower

I think this was created when my Windows BSOD'd and I noticed it during a defrag after the crash. Its in my C:\Windows directory and is 447MB. That file size makes me think it must be a memory dump as I've effectively got 448MB RAM and when it BSOD'd it did a physical memory dump.

Am I right and if so can it be deleted???

Although the file is rather huge have you looked at it in a hex viewer to get some possible info of the file? IrfanView has a built in hex viewer.

I didn't know that. Alot of code and unintelligible stuff in there but a few words/phrases. Starts with 'Pagedump' followed by 'Page' written about 50 times and then a long list of code and symbols with stuff through it like 'Raw stack dump', 'Stack unwind information unavailable' and various file names/locations.

So memory dump??? (I've absolutely no idea what data is in a memory dump but it looks like it to me). And if so can it be deleted? Don't think I've ever had a BSOD memory dump leave something behind like that :unsure:

Don't know if it is even related, but when you run sdelete, the secure deletion utility from sysinternals, you wind up with files which have been renamed to zzzz.zzz, etc. After it overwrites a file, sdelete renames each letter in the file name and extension 26 times, so "date.txt" would end up as "zzzz.zzz".

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.