5.1 surround sound speakers

any ideas? this happened to me a long time ago, and i remember the fix was something simple, but i cant remember what it was. i get NO sound out of the outer two speakers-only on the main one and the left and right one.

im sure it was a setting in the system, but cant remember where.

HELP!

Try unplugging one of the speakers from the colored port on the back of your pc and put it back in, on ours the config automatically pops up.

If not, maybe you disabled it to make the system faster, either re-enable it( ours is called HDAUDPROPShortcut from c-media I believe), or reinstall the drivers to get it back, I had to I couldn't find a windows way of doing it.

fireryone

well i tried everything in both those links, but they really deal with no sound at all, rather than just missing sound from the outer of the 5.1 speakers. originally i had to update my sound card to be able to get the speakers to play, but im wondering if i turned something off or something. hmmmmmm

edit:

ok, as i was typing the above message, i was reinstalling the software that came with the soundcard-problem fixed. probably at some time either screwed up the software or forgot to reinstall when i did a windows reinstall (so many things to remember to reinstall).

but reading through the links did refresh my memory on the sound issues. :)

• Moderators

I've screwed up my sound settings a couple of times.

Mucked around with all the various levels until I couldn't get them back to the way they were originally setup.

To avoid that happening again, the last time I did a format/reinstall, I used Firestone Capture to take pics of the 4 different Sound Manager settings screens, before I got my grubby little fingers on them.

Now I can screw them up to my hearts content, and then reset them again using the pics.

:)

• Moderators
I've screwed up my sound settings a couple of times.

On my system it's very easy for it to get messed up because I not only have install the Creative SB Audigy drivers but I also have to install something called SoundMax from my Dell ResourceCD, otherwise it won't work. Then to make things even more interesting I have to manually configure it to use SB Audigy Audio [CF00] :rolleyes: - my latest Windows install had me stumped for a few minutes figuring it out all over again.