Disc Defrag apps.

Anthony A

I am looking at two specifically. Auslogics and JK Defrag. I'm a little cautions about defrag programs though. Seems installing these cam mess up the Windows built in defrager if you try and uninstall the third party defrager. I read this http://www.andreasroom.com/blog/archive/20.../18/defrag.aspx

and it has me a little nervous. I don't know if it's 3rd party programs that replace the Windows defrager that cause the problems or others as well. Any body have any problems from the two programs I mentioned?

• Moderators

Well auslogics says on their site that they actually use the windows defragger, they just speed it up a lot.(like 100000000% faster)

JKDefrag is liked by a few people here, I tried it and didn't think it was anything wonderfull, but its a good program.

Honestly defragging isn't something that needs to be done too often. You will see people that do it once a day, once a week, or once a month.

I haven't noticed any speed difference from doing it once a day and doing it once every 6 months. It just doesn't really speed stuff up that much.

To wrap up my rant I vote Auslogics, its got a nice easy interface(you just press next) and really fast.

We've had a gazillion threads on defraggers lately so I'll just make a quick list. Auslogics Defrag (as mentioned above), JkDefrag, O&O Defrag 2000, Sysinternals Contig, and Sysinternals PageDefrag (for paging files etc).

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators
We've had a gazillion threads on defraggers lately

Very true, these things tend to go in cycles though.

This month its defraggers, next month it will be cd/dvd burning programs. :P

There was recent topic about jkdefrag I think that had some pretty good posts. Look that one up. :P

We've had a gazillion threads on defraggers lately so I'll just make a quick list. Auslogics Defrag (as mentioned above), JkDefrag, O&O Defrag 2000, Sysinternals Contig, and Sysinternals PageDefrag (for paging files etc).

I know what ones are out there. After much reviewing I have narrowed it down to the two I mentioned. I just want to know if any body has experienced any problems with those two similar to the problems that are discussed in the link I provided.

I know what ones are out there. After much reviewing I have narrowed it down to the two I mentioned. I just want to know if any body has experienced any problems with those two similar to the problems that are discussed in the link I provided.

Since both programs have been discussed in-depth recently, you should be able to find what you're looking for by searching.

Personally, I use both and run them often. JkDefrag has the advantage of going beyond defragging by "optimizing" the disk, but Auslogics is definitely faster. My experience has been completely positive with no problems whatsoever. B)

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

All defraggers use the Microsoft's defragmentation API. They need that to work in Windows.

The problems that are discussed in the link that Anthony A provided comes out with Diskeeper'installation. When Diskeeper is installed the standard Windows defragger is replaced by Diskeeper. And related annoyances can arise when Diskeeper is uninstalled.

• Moderators

I use JKDefrag & Auslogics, but not too often. I have noticed a difference in the speed Windows Explorer loads and displays stuff after using JKDefrag, and I read that it optimizes the hard drive by putting all the folders first in line for quicker access.

JKDefrag takes longer, but appears to do a more thorough job.

I usually use Auslogics first because it "sounds" as if it`s easier on the drive, and then polish it up with JKDefrag, which then in turn doesn`t take as much time as it would normally.

This method might all be a crock of s**t, but it works for me. :)

• Moderators
Most Windows defraggers use the standard Windows API.

Which has drawn me to the conclusion of not even installing a third-party defrag application anymore, especially those without the ability to be controlled via a command prompt or via batch files. I prefer to soley defrag via batch files that can either just defrag and return to the desktop or restart the computer, or shutdown the computer and for me WinXP's built in defrag does everything I need.

Although with that said I do use Microsoft Sysinternals Contig on my backups just before they're automatically burned to CD-RW with CommandBurner - gotta love batch file automation!

Installed Auslogics to try out. Finished the defragging of a 230+ GB disk in 2 minutes :blink: Hmm, got to wonder how thorough this is. The disk was recently defragged with the built in Windows defragger about a month ago. The report at the end of the Auslogics defragging said that there would be an increase of 1% in disk performance. Obviously this disk was already in good shape before the defrag. Still that is fast. Super easy interface. Three clicks, desktop short cut and next button, and you are defragging.

I disagree, DiskTrix UltimateDefrag has been nothing less than stellar for me. I even bought it (usually I'd just go with freeware, but this program is ridiculously amazing).

IPB Image

I am going to try the JKDefrag. How do you install the GUI? Unzip it to the same folder as JKDefrag?

If you download the first GUI that is listed on Kessel's site, it will come with the GUI app as well as JkDefrag itself with all necessary files. So just unzip it all in one folder.

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

Is that a freeware program Humpty?

I ask because I had a look at the home page earlier, and Perfect Disk 8 is now available, but not free.

:)

No not free.Tried PD 8 but prefer PD 7.

Probably just too used to 7's gui and nothing noticed in speed or overall performance.

OK, I unzipped the GUI to a folder and created a desk top short cut to launch the app. I selected analyze which it did in about 1 min. Where are the results? Is there supposed to be some kind of report to show what was found when analyzed?

OK, I unzipped the GUI to a folder and created a desk top short cut to launch the app. I selected analyze which it did in about 1 min. Where are the results? Is there supposed to be some kind of report to show what was found when analyzed?

Yes - when you close the defrag window click on 'File>Read logfile' in the GUI.

Yes - when you close the defrag window click on 'File>Read logfile' in the GUI.

OK I see that now thanks. That file is saved in the temp folder though. It's not saved in the program folder. When I run JK Defrag exe the file is saved in the program folder. It's only when I run the GUI exe that the file is saved in the temp. Wonder why that is. CCleaner cleans my temp folder and I run CCleaner several times a day so I don't like that set up.

On the positive side that app does a great job of defragging. I ran Auslogics Defrag. Than I went into the Windows Defrag and "analyzed". Should look like a solid blue bar with some green areas once it's defraged. Never does though, there seems to always be some breaks in there and it was no different this time with Auslogics but it was much faster. So I ran JK Defrag on the "analyze, defragment and full optimization" setting. Took about 20 min to finish. Than I went into the Windows Defrag and "analyzed" again. The chart was a solid blue block with one green block. I have never seen it look that continuous before. And even though this is not the fastest setting for JK Defrag it's still much faster than the built in Windows Defrag.