Re-occuring CHKDSK error

Stephen

My computer is a couple of weeks old, and already I am getting the same re-occurring CHKDSK error message that I got on my old computer.

I run CHKDSK, and it tells it it "discovered free space marked as allocated in the master file table (MFT) bitmap". I run CHKDSK/F to no avail. I got this message consistently on my other computer as well. Does anyone know why this is occuring, and if there is a way to actually fix it?

• Moderators

Try this command instead: chkdsk /r

Note: The full scan can take upwards of 60 minutes, 2 hours or longer depending upon the size of your hard disk.

If you're still having problems with it after that, time to call tech support!

Bad sectors do corrupt and spread; is it the same hard drive? If not, I would start backing data up. The other possibility, if for whatever reason you're running FAT32, is that the filesystem itself is causing you issues. FAT32 is not journaled and I have heard all too often that certain files, and in some cases, parts of certain files, are being moved without notice.

IPB Image

• 2 weeks later...
NTFS file system. New Hard Drive.

On another forum, several people have told me this is a know bug with Windows, which can be ignored.

So there must be a link on which error messages to use and which to ignore then?