WPA encryption enabled for internet sharing?

Tunerz

Just a question. I'm using Linksys WRT54G. If I enable WPA encryption, would the router just accept one computer to be wireless and not to connect others by wireless or as long as I know the key I could set up another pc to connect using the wireless method?

• Moderators

A cellphone? I don't think you can do that.

Most cellphone internet comes from your provider(Verizon, Cingular, ect)

Unless your using something like vonage(which gives you a box you just plug into your router).

My bro is using n80 and it can get connection from our router wireless

After reading some info, is it true that non-linksys products need WEP encryption (i hate WEP) just to connect to the router?

My PC can connect without problems with encryption(using the WUSB54C). My mom's laptop uses Intel? PRO/Wireless 2200BG and can detect the router but somehow it has a hard time connecting if encryption is enabled.

hmmmm. i set my wireless router to only allow one wireless connection and it is WEP encrypted. I can detect 4 of my neighbours wireless networks (one is not secured :() and my own with my laptop. and after testing it on shieldsup, etc. i seem to be completely stealthed and secure.

For any computer that may have to connect to more than one wireless access point, you are best off creating a profile for each location with the appropriate settings, e.g., SSID, encryption type and key, etc. Then one click and you're connected.

For the access point, you have to consider the client with the lowest encryption capability.