Game consoles

Hello.

My wife and I are kicking around getting a gaming machine.

X-Box 360, PS3, or Wii.

Which does anyone recommend, and specifically why?

I am kind of leaning towards the PS3 as I understand that it plays all the PS2 games, and if so, since I havent played any of them, I could get a lot of games cheap.

But then Wii is much cheaper so that is a nice factor.

And they each seem to have a game or two that are specific that look a lot of fun.

I wont be paying for any online gaming-simply buy the game, plug it in and have some fun.

Also, what other features are built into these machines that are actually usefull?

Has anyone tried all three and can give an account of playing.

I dont like sports games, i do like bounce around mario kind of games, and also the "dungeons and dragons" sort of large world roll playing kind of games if that gives you an idea of what I am looking for.

Thanks! :)

• Moderators

For what you described I would honestly say get a PS3.

1. Since your not playing online then you won't mind the fact that the PS3s online isn't as good as xbox live.(but ps3 online is free where xbox isn't, so if you changed your mind in the future. :P)

2. Your interested in other features. The PS3 has a bigger hard drive and a blue ray player.(which means your good in the future if you have a hd tv or plan to get one.) Sure the xbox has that hd dvd add on, but I've heard its not as good as the stand alone players. And once you bought that and a bigger hard drive for the 360 you would have spent about the same amount of money.

3. Since you don't have a ps2, you will also get a huge back catalog of games to play. Also since you like games like mario, the ps2 has all of the great series like this. Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter(2nd and 3rd games are just called Jak), Sly Cooper(not as good but not bad either) and bunch more. If you get an xbox, most of the big games are shooters(mostly first person) so if you don't like those games you won't like xbox.

I finally got to play with the wii. Its ok, but I'm so used to playing with a normal controller I just didn't like it much.

• Moderators

I`ve had a PS2 for some time, and I love it.

But I`m holding back on PS3 or XBox360 purchase because apparently it`s recommended that you buy an "Intercooler" to handle the temperature these babies run at.

Also, being a meanie, I`m waiting for the price to come down. In fact, I like the PS2 so much I think it will be some time before I change, if ever.

Don`t mean to be a killjoy 1984, but it`s worth looking into every angle before you part with your hard earned cash.

This operating temperature of PS3 & XBox360 was discussed here.

This might all be a storm in a teacup, but it`s worth getting as much info as possible.

:)

Good reading there DennisD. I missed that thread.

LOL! Maybe I should just go with a PS2 for now since I've never even played it yet, and it's dirt cheap to pick one up. :) I'm off work for 2 months or so with nothing to do, so I'm going insane with boredom and we figured I would at least be able to play some vids which i never get the time to do. :)

• Moderators
I would go with Xbox 360. The games are far more superior and you can also hook it up to your PC.

Also there's a bunch more games, and let's face it the XBOX 360 is a looker while the PS3 isn't all that good looking. But of course cosmetics of the way a console looks really shouldn't be the deciding factor of, it's the specifications and power that counts.

I`ve had a PS2 for some time, and I love it.

But I`m holding back on PS3 or XBox360 purchase because apparently it`s recommended that you buy an "Intercooler" to handle the temperature these babies run at.

Also, being a meanie, I`m waiting for the price to come down. In fact, I like the PS2 so much I think it will be some time before I change, if ever.

Don`t mean to be a killjoy 1984, but it`s worth looking into every angle before you part with your hard earned cash.

This operating temperature of PS3 & XBox360 was discussed here.

This might all be a storm in a teacup, but it`s worth getting as much info as possible.

:)

First of all I want to say DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy an Intercooler. They are bad news. I've seen what they've done and they're actually worse for your console. Plus, the 360 is fine the way it is. It might run a tad hot, but I haven't had any problems.

(to the original poster) And secondly, you'd be best off getting an Xbox 360, because lets face it, the PS3 is a flop, and if you aren't a non gamer/casual gamer, the Wii doesn't offer much.

The 360 has the best line-up right now (undeniable), and (arguably) has the best line-up in the future. As I've already said, the Wii doesn't offer much, and the PS3 has nothing.

• Moderators
First of all I want to say DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy an Intercooler. They are bad news. I've seen what they've done and they're actually worse for your console. Plus, the 360 is fine the way it is. It might run a tad hot, but I haven't had any problems.

I'd actually just go and get an el cheapo $10 USD external fan - it's actually a really super small desktop fan. I've used one for several years to keep my stereo amplifier cool, and that amplifier is still running strong some 18 years later.