JKDefrag - New version

JDPower

Changelog:

- Commandline options are now accepted with and without a space between the option and the value, for example "-a3" and "-a 3".

- New "-e" commandline option to exclude files/directories.

- New "-f" commandline option to specify a size for the free area.

- New optimization method 6: Analyze, defragment, and move to end of disk.

- New setting in the screensaver for the status bar not to display filenames or not to display the status bar altogether.

- The logfile now shows a list of files in the status report that could not be moved, and a list of files that are (still) fragmented.

- The logfile now shows the date only once at the top of the file, no loner on every line.

- Fixed a bug for the "-l" commandline option that specifies a different location for the logfile, where the Windows version of the program would create a logfile at the default location containing only 1 line with "Starting, please wait...".

- Changed the screensaver's "Do not defrag if last run was less than" radio buttons into a pull-down list.

- Fixed a bug in the screensaver wrapper that made the preview window very slow.

- Fixed a bug in the screensaver wrapper that prevented screensaver with a space in their filename to run.

- Added code to the screensaver to prevent multiple copies running simultaneously.

- Added more code to the screensaver so it will not include itself in the list of alternate screensavers.

- Fixed a bug that would display the wrong name for screensavers that do not have a name.

- Removed the "2003" check when listing screensavers, the wrapper makes it possible to use non-standard screensavers.

- Added a test to quickly stop optimizing when there is nothing more to do.

- Enlarged a buffer to speed up the fragment analyzation.

- Small change in the code that reduces the number of fragments in huge files that cannot be fully defragmented.

- Changed the debug level of the "FSCTL_GET_RETRIEVAL_POINTERS error: Infinite loop" from zero to 2, so it won't always be displayed.

- Changed the debug level of the "Skipping gap, cannot fill: %I64d[%I64d]" from 3 to 5.

Changes in the DLL library:

- 2 extra parameters in the RunDefrag() call.

Get it here: http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/index.html

Also new version if the GUI:

- Added USB, Floppy and Ramdisk support, drives are selectable

- Added taskscheduler (Will be disabled in U3 or BartPE mode)

- Added manual save settings (even Scheduler Time/Interval/Days)

- Added restore settings to default

- Added transparency to JKDefrag and JKDefrag GUI

- Added fade-out on exit

- Added portuguese translation

- Fixed a small bug in User defined language value58 not set

- Fixed a small bug wrong version saved in inifile when ini file is created

- Fixed a small bug wrong action selected when selecting Analyze, defragment and fast optimization

Get it here: http://www.emro.nl/freeware/

Just so you you know, I've been experiencing a minor bug with the new version of the GUI where the defrag window sometimes doesn't open, but defrag does happen. The new version of JKD itself though is working faultlessly :)

Just so you you know, I've been experiencing a minor bug with the new version of the GUI where the defrag window sometimes doesn't open, but defrag does happen. The new version of JKD itself though is working faultlessly :)

Looks like he's already fixed the bug. These guys are too much! :lol:

http://www.emro.nl/freeware/

JKDefragGUI 0.41 (BugFix Release) 26 February 2007

Changes:

- Fixed a bug JKDefrag not showing sometimes

- Fixed a bug Scheduler not working when using an username with spaces

Kessel.com says most people won't need the GUI add-on. From the looks on emro.nl's screenshots, it looks like it gives you more control of the program and

is probably for those of us who really love to play with these programs.

What do you think is the ultimate goal of the freeware author? Is it to eventually turn it into shareware or payware, and develop a site full of programs, or to get enough people using it so that a major manufacturer will buy it from them and incorporate it into one of their multiple tool programs.

I think it's the latter.

Looks like he's already fixed the bug. These guys are too much! :lol:

http://www.emro.nl/freeware/

JKDefragGUI 0.41 (BugFix Release) 26 February 2007

Changes:

- Fixed a bug JKDefrag not showing sometimes

- Fixed a bug Scheduler not working when using an username with spaces

Kessel.com says most people won't need the GUI add-on. From the looks on emro.nl's screenshots, it looks like it gives you more control of the program and

is probably for those of us who really love to play with these programs.

What do you think is the ultimate goal of the freeware author? Is it to eventually turn it into shareware or payware, and develop a site full of programs, or to get enough people using it so that a major manufacturer will buy it from them and incorporate it into one of their multiple tool programs.

I think it's the latter.

Yup, bug fix release is working fine now. I like the GUI as its easier to use, and having a GUI was what persuaded me to try JKD. Only problem is it doesn't offer all the different methods JKD has available, the GUI author has said there should be more options in the next version.

Regarding JKDefrags authors future intentions for the program, this was asked recently as he kept mentioning a possible pro version at some point in the future. He said that even if he did make a pro version that too would be free (just more functions for advanced users) and he had no intention of making JKD a paid program.

A large changelog's! Good news? Real features improvements?

It seems the answer it must to be affirmative. At least: the screen saver mode make a much better job; this mode have more useful options; log file give us an accurate but a lot more clean info; a new optimization process; the GUI support taskscheduler now, bugs fixed.

The changes are welcomed.

P.S.: These applications are standalone - they don't need installation!

A large changelog's! Good news? Real features improvements?

It seems the answer it must to be affirmative. At least: the screen saver mode make a much better job; this mode have more useful options; log file give us an accurate but a lot more clean info; a new optimization process; the GUI support taskscheduler now, bugs fixed.

The changes are welcomed.

Also Jeroen has said there should be further file ordering options probably in the next version (possibly moving files to start of disk to compliment the new 'move files to end of disk' function) so its only gonna get better and better :)

Also Jeroen has said there should be further file ordering options probably in the next version (possibly moving files to start of disk to compliment the new 'move files to end of disk' function) so its only gonna get better and better :)

:)

Ceci n'est pas une signature

• Moderators
Get it here: http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/index.html

Also new version if the GUI:

Get it here: http://www.emro.nl/freeware/

How do you get that GUI?

All I can do with both this and the previous version was the instant start with either the command line or the green and pink graphic window.

The kessels.com download is a zip file which contains the same files as the previous version. No GUI.

The emro.nl download is a rar file which I can`t open. Unless I`m missing something, (and that`s a distinct possibility).

:)

• Moderators

Zip genius is my choice too. :)

Although the new Izarc is pretty good, I just like zip genius better.

I just tried jkdefrag. Its ok I gues, but I like the auslogics one better. jk has more features, but auslogics does what I want and its got a UI.

(yes I tried the jk version with the UI and I don't really care that much about UI, but if I have a choice I would choose the one with the better UI if it does what I want.)

I have them both, I like JKDefrag better.

Ditto. Seems more thorough. A little slower. (Auslogics is warp speed fast.)

Computer performance improvement is noticeable after using JKDefrag, has to have seriously needed defragging to notice any improvement with Auslogics.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a way you can add defragging capabilities to any file and/or folder via the context menu. This has been a much requested feature at the JKDefrag forum. Just copy the below text in a blank. txt file, give it a .reg extension, change the locations of you JKDefrag exe file (command line version), and import. The "Defrag File" entry in obviously for files and "Defrag Folder" is for folders. This works perfectly for me. Let me know if you have any trouble. If you want I can email you a customized version and all you have to do is import it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Defrag File\command]

@="C:\\Documents and Settings\\n8chavez\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\Internet Explorer\\Quick Launch\\Applications\\Utilities\\System Utilities\\Defrag.exe -a 4 -d 1 %1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Defrag Folder]

@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Defrag Folder\command]

@="C:\\Documents and Settings\\n8chavez\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\Internet Explorer\\Quick Launch\\Applications\\Utilities\\System Utilities\\Defrag.exe -a 4 -d 1 %1"

• 1 month later...

JkDefragGUI updated to v. 0.7; added JkDefrag v. 3.8.

• JkDefragGUI 0.7 is a singular GUI: 1) it's a stand-alone app. (with needed files auto-extracted in the same folder); 2) it's a installer: with it the user can to do a Windows and Screensaver (with total customization) installation/uninstallation . Either one installer'options are useful to the beginners and common users - the users want to use, not to think about. The user can disable the installer and sheduler tab's. A good work from Emiel Wieldraaijer.

• ScanDefrag was updated recently. A useful utility to a computer maintenance. To be used periodically, once in a while. With it the user can configure some disk utilities as part of the next Windows' startup process, like: ScanDisk/Chkdsk, Disk Defragmenter (with JkDefrag), to run Mark Russinovich's PageDefrag (to defrag paging files and Registry hives), etc..

• Dirk Paehl made a GUI to JkDefrag. It was with pleasure that I saw that. Dirk Paehl is a multifaceted author from open source/freeware programs, like the excellent UPX Graphical, encryption software (Protect Exe), compression (ArcConvert), PDF and burning tools. Another one welcomed work from Dirk.