IE7 Becomming a bloated POS!

Anthony A

• Moderators

I've been using IE7 with the IE7 pro plug in since last month.

I've gotten used to the interface and I actually enjoy the extra screen space I get from it.

IE7 pro gives me mouse gestures which are great and if you change max connections to 4 or 6 the browser will fly. :D (You could go higher I guess but I didn't notice any difference).

If the adfilter ever gets as good as adblock and filterset g then I know a ton of people will drop firefox like a hot potato. :P

I've been using IE7 with the IE7 pro plug in since last month.

I've gotten used to the interface and I actually enjoy the extra screen space I get from it.

IE7 pro gives me mouse gestures which are great and if you change max connections to 4 or 6 the browser will fly. :D (You could go higher I guess but I didn't notice any difference).

If the adfilter ever gets as good as adblock and filterset g then I know a ton of people will drop firefox like a hot potato. :P

What extra screen space? Firefox with the Autohide extension gives you a tool bar free screen and they all auto hide. IE7 has a half a$$ed version of autohide. You can't autohide all the toolbars or the Google Tool Bar. If you select full screen the Google Tool Bar disappears and will not auto hide. Same with the menu bar.

Have you used Maxthon? If so how does it compare IE7 + IE7 Pro in your opinion?

• Moderators

I hate autohiding toolbars. It never seems responsive enough and having my screen giggle when I call the toolbar is annoying too.(yes I'm easy to annoy. :P) I can't go full screen when browsing either because I still need to be able to access other things(I never just have my browser open. :P)

I don't use the google toolbar either(I always go to google.com to search no matter what plus IE7 has a google search box built in.)

Maxthon 1 is ok but I do not like the beta version 2. Its options menu sucks and it keeps crashing when I use it(of course its just a beta)

There are no features in maxthon I need that IE7 pro doesn't give me. Actually the same goes for firefox.

When I used firefox I would isntall:

-adblock and filterset g updater (just install IE spyad or a host file)

-Tab Browser preferences(to make new tabs load homepage which IE7 does on its own)

-Mouse Gestures (IE7 pro)

I get all that with IE7 pro plus like I said the interface has grown on me.

Plus I have had a ton of problems with firefox 2 crashing on me. It will work fine for a week or 2 then it will become unusable because of crashing. I got tired of reinstalling it.

Maybe you would like Opera 9. Comes with mouse gestures built in and ad blocking.

I use them all. Firefox 2, Opera 8.54 and 9.20, Maxthon 1 and 2, and I have IE7 just for Maxthon to run off. I like playing around with browsers.

• Moderators

I like opera and I used it for a pretty long time when v9 came out but it has lots of mildy annoying things. The adblocking in opera 9 sucks but if they made it more like adblock it would be much better.(opera just needs extensions. :P) I know you can turn this off but opera by default will run pages completely out of its cache for a pretty long time.(I think this is why people think its so much faster) It drives me crazy because on forums it will look like there are no changes when there have been. Plus the interface for opera is just funky. I never understood the point of having 2 back/forward buttons but if you get rid of them it just doesn't look right to me.(I don't know why. I guess I'm just weird about some things)

I have all of them installed(well opera, firefox and IE) but right now I've only been using IE. Its not as bad as everyone(including me) was saying it was. The only complaint I have is that the toolbars aren't editable so if you use site advisor it has to have its own toolbar. What I did was just disable the site advisor toolbar and leave it installed because the ratings still show up in google searches.

I can't wait for firefox 3 to come out though because if it is more stable to me than IE I will definitely use it. I tried the beta and it doesn't seem that different from 2.

Well after this last security update crapsplorer is now over 65 MB and climbing. Thats 6 Operas and a couple Firefoxes. Both browsers being about 100X better. This time next year I have no trouble seeing IE being at least a couple hundred MB. That is a very large turd. MS should go into the fertalizer business.

• 1 month later...
Well I started this thread on Feb 18 2007 and as of now IE7 is just shy of 100 mb in size. They are just getting started with this piece of $hit. This last update installed at over 20 mb.

Well the two folders in the Windows folder on mine are 22Mb (IE7) and 45Mb (IE7updates) and the actual program folder 7Mb

Which compares to Firefox at 17Mb for the program Folder and and 28MB for the application data folder (two profiles).

Though thanks to checking just discovered the Google toolbar on GFs Firefox profile had safe browsing turned on with a 48Mb definitions file!

It seems every update is in the 20mb range. You know from Micrsoft's history that they will update your rear off. Imagine in a years time the size of the browser. Firefox updates are patches that don't seem to increase the size of the browser. IE updates are huge addons to the browser. Almost 100 Mb is stupid for a browser and they are not finished by any means.

Though thanks to checking just discovered the Google toolbar on GFs Firefox profile had safe browsing turned on with a 48Mb definitions file!

That is strange. I have the newest Google Tool bar for Firefox and Safe Browsing is no longer a feature becasue it's built into Firefox 2.

That is strange. I have the newest Google Tool bar for Firefox and Safe Browsing is no longer a feature becasue it's built into Firefox 2.

Yes but I've still not upgraded to FF2 (I know, I know :rolleyes: )

IE7 > Firefox and Opera together. Just learn how to configure it for your needs. I can give you a few speed up tips and tweaks that will make firefox look like turtlefox. oh and i never had this problem with IE7.

This is the funniest thing I have read in a while :lol: You are joking right?

As for you not having the bloat problem maybe you should look in the Windows/IE7 and Windows/IE7 Updates. Than compare that to Opera and Firefox. Big difference and it's only going to get bigger with each IE7 update and you now there will be many many more.