IE7 Becomming a bloated POS!

Anthony A

I took a look around my C:/Windows folder. There are two folders in there for IE7. One is simply called IE7 the other is IE7 Updates. As most probably know the last MS updates included a big one for IE7. Before the update my IE7 Updates folder was 1.2 MB. It is now 20 MB that is on top of the 20+ MB IE7 folder. So in the just over 3 months I have had IE7 it has ballooned into a 40+ MB piece of $hit. You know it's not going to stop there. I can see regular huge IE7 updates coming, because this is Micro Stupid we are talking about, and this thing is going to get totally out of hand. I could put almost 5 Operas in for the size of this IE7. Each install of Opera being 100 times better than IE7. What a joke. IE7 is the least configurable of all my browsers by far and the biggest. Anybody else paying attention to these folders I am talking about?

my ie7 updates folder was empty so i got rid of it.

my ie7 folder had 25MB in it. Opera had 66MB(due to the stuff that's cached and because of the 17MB which is full of locales(which i recently got rid of)).

edit: i also have E-Mails stored in there since i use Opera's built-in mail client.

my ie7 updates folder was empty so i got rid of it.

my ie7 folder had 25MB in it. Opera had 66MB(due to the stuff that's cached and because of the 17MB which is full of locales(which i recently got rid of)).

edit: i also have E-Mails stored in there since i use Opera's built-in mail client.

Have you checked your IE7 Updates folder since the MS updates came out last Tuesday? I have one computer that I updated and it ballooned that folder to 20MB. I have not updated the other one yet and the IE7 Update folder is around 1.2MB. Are you installing IE7 updates? I don't see how your IE7 folder could be empty.

My two versions of Opera are just over 12 MB each. This is with 11 skins installed that total 6MB. I am not using the email client and I dump the cache when Opera is closed.

The really simple solution as I did is if you don't like IE7 to the point of deeming it a p.o.s. is uninstall it, and to revert back to IE6.

Sorry but that is an even bigger POS. I keep IE installed simply because I use and like Maxthon and it needs IE to run.

Have you checked your IE7 Updates folder since the MS updates came out last Tuesday? I have one computer that I updated and it ballooned that folder to 20MB. I have not updated the other one yet and the IE7 Update folder is around 1.2MB. Are you installing IE7 updates? I don't see how your IE7 folder could be empty.

My two versions of Opera are just over 12 MB each. This is with 11 skins installed that total 6MB. I am not using the email client and I dump the cache when Opera is closed.

i checked it(didn't check hidden files though) and i couldn't find anything. so i got rid of the ie7 updates folder. meaning i physically deleted it. WIndows Updates isn't asking me to re-install any IE7 updates so i'm fine.

yeah, so do i. but i use the e-mail :D.

i checked it(didn't check hidden files though) and i couldn't find anything. so i got rid of the ie7 updates folder. meaning i physically deleted it. WIndows Updates isn't asking me to re-install any IE7 updates so i'm fine.

yeah, so do i. but i use the e-mail :D .

So you are telling me that you installed the update from Tuesday and it is not in your IE7 updates folder?

Well then, it looks like your stuck with the p.o.s. then. :lol:

Yes, the jokes on me :P . I just don't get how such a basic browser can be such a pig when there is browsers like Opera that have 100 x more features and are much smaller. Even Fire Fox is smaller with all my extensions and skins although it isn't nearly as compact as Opera. Maxthon is also very small but it's not really a full browser. It's basically a big add on to IE.

I have the IE7 updates folder - contains 2 updates (both are hidden files) totalling 21Mb (which is the same as the IE7 folder itself)

Than you are seeing what I am seeing too. That comes to a total of 40+MB and they are just getting started believe me.

• Moderators

How big are your hard drives people?!

I don't know about you all but I don't own a pc with smaller than an 80 gig hard drive.(which means I couldn't care less about 40mb being used by IE. :P)

I'm thinking that as our HDs get bigger windows and all of our software is going to start using more and more.

How big are your hard drives people?!

I don't know about you all but I don't own a pc with smaller than an 80 gig hard drive.(which means I couldn't care less about 40mb being used by IE. :P)

I'm thinking that as our HDs get bigger windows and all of our software is going to start using more and more.

Yes my smallest is also 80 GB. Thats not the point though for me. Big bloated programs that are lacking in features annoy me. Especially when there are programs that are 100 x better and a fraction of the size. Also IE7 might be 40+ MB now but it won't stay that way for long. MS will update your A$$ off and before long this thing will be a gig or more :blink: Maybe not a gig but it will get huge.

• Moderators
Uninstalling=bad idea.

No windows updates=viruses and all sorts of crap.

40mb file=who cares. :P

Ok I'm done. :lol:

Actually removing it with that commercial app seems to cripple Windows, I know because I tried it years ago on Win98 just before doing a format, but some people hate IE so much they choose to live with the crippled Windows.

Exactly, no Windows Updates from the website which would be a critical problem when Automatic Updates decides to misbehave.

Uninstalling=bad idea.

No windows updates=viruses and all sorts of crap.

40mb file=who cares. :P

Ok I'm done. :lol:

I'm with you rridgely. I've been using IE7 more then FF for some reason. Maybe it's the look :mellow: and I've noticed that IE7 uses the CPU slightly offered while have 2-5 tabbs up. I still have FF though.

People... 40MB? Who gives a crap. 80GB HDD here :lol:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

I'm with you rridgely. I've been using IE7 more then FF for some reason. Maybe it's the look :mellow: and I've noticed that IE7 uses the CPU slightly offered while have 2-5 tabbs up. I still have FF though.

People... 40MB? Who gives a crap. 80GB HDD here :lol:

It's 40 Mb now. Thats after 1 update. A few more of those and we will see how you like that. :P

It's 40 Mb now. Thats after 1 update. A few more of those and we will see how you like that. :P
Before another update I'll have a 120GB HDD and now I have 35.3GB left. Plenty of space.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• Moderators

Well, I have one old win98 pc with an 80gig in it and then 2 xp machines with 250 gig each. :)

My laptop has a 120. None of them are even close to full though because I keep all of my data on extrenal drives and dvds.(to prevent data loss)

What I want more than anything is a network enabled hard drive so that I can access the files with any pc in my network.(instead of using shared folders which is the biggest pain in the ass ever. :( )

Ok enough of my hard drive rant.

As long as IE7 doesn't turn into gigs I don't really care. :lol:

Well, I have one old win98 pc with an 80gig in it and then 2 xp machines with 250 gig each. :)

My laptop has a 120. None of them are even close to full though because I keep all of my data on extrenal drives and dvds.(to prevent data loss)

What I want more than anything is a network enabled hard drive so that I can access the files with any pc in my network.(instead of using shared folders which is the biggest pain in the ass ever. :( )

Ok enough of my hard drive rant.

As long as IE7 doesn't turn into gigs I don't really care. :lol:

Heh, I use my Mom's PC for my music storage lol. It's just back-up though. I love network sharing...

• Moderators
Aren't the ie7 and ie7updates folders backup files? I see the old IE6 in there.

The update files seem like they can be deleted if there are no problems with IE7.

One could always test that theory out, however it may be wise to zip those folders in case they're actually needed.