Jump to content
CCleaner Community Forums
wipefreespace

wipe free space

Recommended Posts

What I would like to see in CCleaner is a utility to wipe the free space in a drive. I have been looking for this extra feature in freeware and at the moment use Webroot Window Washer instead.

 

A really good cleaner should have a fast wipe free space function.

 

HDCleaner has wipe free space but its other features are not as good as CCleaner and it is not as easy to use.

 

Please see if the developers could add wipe free space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eraser by Heidi has this feature and is a perfect companion to CCleaner. It is also freeware:

 

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

 

make sure you download the latest build, 5.82 as that is trouble free (5.81 was a problematic build).

 

Personally, while I would welcome an all-in-one solution, I think that adding too many features to CCleaner would ruin its simplicity of use. Additionally, I think it may be hard to beat Eraser - it is very good at the job it does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think that adding too many features to CCleaner would ruin its simplicity of use. Additionally, I think it may be hard to beat Eraser.

Hmmmm, maybe. But I have faith in MrG. He could do it. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I really like that idea! :)

Great idea. Though, for simplicity's sake, it could also be implemented as a kind of stand-alone application (besides CCleaner and Recuva)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Great idea. Though, for simplicity's sake, it could also be implemented as a kind of stand-alone application (besides CCleaner and Recuva)

... or like Restoration (by Brian Kato), include the file shredder with the recovery app in Recuva.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wipefreespace wrote:

What I would like to see in CCleaner is a utility to wipe the free space in a drive. I have been looking for this extra feature in freeware and at the moment use Webroot Window Washer instead.

Have you ever asked yourself the question why you need wiping the actual HardDisk in use?

 

It is nonsense to do so, because you?ll never be able to completely wipe all of your user-traces out of an actual HD in use. What is OK for legal Web-Interactions.

 

I repeat - I am talking about a HD that is integrated in a System. Think over where exactly you want to wipe it and if it is necessary - as wiping is also quite time-consuming.

 

Just wipe any HD you want to give away - but asking for an integrated application to wipe any HD that is still in permanent and continuously use of your System is nonsense, because you won?t be able to obtain "virgin snow" - no matter what you intend to do with it.

 

 

Oliver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. It is true that after you have wiped the free space, once you use your pc again, the free space will become occupied to some extent, but this can be minimized by regular wiping.

 

Using Webroot Window Washer to wipe the free space, the first time you do it all 100 % of the free space is wiped. But next time you wipe the free space, it only wipes about 20 % as the rest is still unoccupied after the initial wiping. The original wipe can take about 10 minutes on a small 20 gb hard drive, but the subsequent wipes of the 20 % or so re-occupied space will only take about 2 minutes.

 

Keeping the free space as empty as possible should speed up the pc and also limit any security risk from info contained in the free space.

 

What would be ideal is a wiping function with a scheduler. Eraser does have this, but compared to Window Washer (which does not have a scheduler for wiping the free space) it is quite slow.

 

The actual CCleaner cleaner and Issues fixer are really fast compared to most other programs, so I expect a Wipe Free Space function would be equally fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Interesting. It is true that after you have wiped the free space, once you use your pc again, the free space will become occupied to some extent, but this can be minimized by regular wiping.

 

Using Webroot Window Washer to wipe the free space, the first time you do it all 100 % of the free space is wiped. But next time you wipe the free space, it only wipes about 20 % as the rest is still unoccupied after the initial wiping. The original wipe can take about 10 minutes on a small 20 gb hard drive, but the subsequent wipes of the 20 % or so re-occupied space will only take about 2 minutes.

 

Keeping the free space as empty as possible should speed up the pc and also limit any security risk from info contained in the free space.

 

What would be ideal is a wiping function with a scheduler. Eraser does have this, but compared to Window Washer (which does not have a scheduler for wiping the free space) it is quite slow.

 

The actual CCleaner cleaner and Issues fixer are really fast compared to most other programs, so I expect a Wipe Free Space function would be equally fast.

Eraser is slow because it wipes ALL the free space, every time it does a free space wipe. Any program that just wipes, say 20% because it has already has wiped the other 80% and which is still unused, must be very trusting of itself. How can it possibly know that it isn't leaving some deleted files untouched?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eraser is slow because it wipes ALL the free space, every time it does a free space wipe. Any program that just wipes, say 20% because it has already has wiped the other 80% and which is still unused, must be very trusting of itself. How can it possibly know that it isn't leaving some deleted files untouched?

 

 

I believe wiping the free space removes items such as any WinXP System Restore points.

Does anyone know of any other minor issues which wiping free space causes.

 

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I believe wiping the free space removes items such as any WinXP System Restore points.

I've never seen that happen on my system using Eraser. But then again I'm not uber paranoid to even wipe the free space whilst I own a PC, however if I were to get a new PC and thought about donating my current PC to a church or selling it I would instead just use DBAN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not 100% sure if this feature will ever be in CCleaner. It has never been brought up or discussed.

 

CCleaner is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less that a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware! :)

 

Secure Deletion is probably as far as it will ever go. Wiping free space takes time and CCleaner is all about speed. If you wipe your free space all the time, then I have this to say. Stop doing illegal stuff and being paranoid of getting caught. Other than that there is no reason to run it all the time, all it does is put wear, and tear on your HD.

 

Use Eraser, that's the only program I will ever use. I usually wipe free space every 3 months or so, why? Just do it, there's no other reason than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm not 100% sure if this feature will ever be in CCleaner.

Personally I hope not, doesn't fit CCleaners purpose (IMO).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×