McAfee is GARBAGE!(comcast)

rridgely

• Moderators

Just as the title says. McAfee is a worthless piece of trash.

I just installed it because my ISP recently(last night) switched to comcast. They offer the mcafee suite for free, so I figured I would give it a shot.Its been a while since I've used mcafee and I don't have fond memories, but I thought I would give it a shot anyway. WRONG!!!!!!!!!

I could have gotten the AV, Firewall, and some other trash. I decided to just get the AV and if I liked it I would try the others.

McAfee might be even worse then norton.

It starts up 3-4 minutes after everything else on the pc starts up(I rebooted multiple times to see).(I didn't try on my good machine but this pc has 512mb ram and a 2ghz AMD processor. Should be enough for any AV...)

For just an antivirus its running a grand total of 9 processes and using a total of 50mb ram. For just an AV? Are you kidding me?

I don't care if this offers the best protection on earth(it doesn't of course), I would rather use a virus infested computer than a computer with mcafee.

Oh I forgot to mention that if you actually try to open the AV you have to wait another minute for it to load.(while it plays an annoying animation over and over)

Stay away, stay far away.

rridgely i would have to agree with you on this one as my dad has it on his laptop (he is using McAfee full suite) and it takes what feels like a year to load and the amount of recourse that it was hogging was a surprise to me and this was even more than Norton although i must say that i am a Norton user and i have no problems with start-up speeds on my computer with it on there.

• Moderators

I was actually surprised at just how crappy this program was.

Never in my wildest dreams could I ever think a company would charge for such junk.

I can run a firewall, AV, and antispyware program in under 20mb(maybe even under 10-15), and mcaffee wants 50mb for just an antivirus?(that sucks)

I can run a firewall, AV, and antispyware program in under 20mb(maybe even under 10-15), and mcaffee wants 50mb for just an antivirus?(that sucks)

True about the size and all. But is that what it's really about anymore? With the gigantic size increases with HD's is the difference between 20mb and 50mb really all that important? It's such a small amount, considering, that quality should have higher priority. Btw - I definitely don't think that McAfee is good quality, I just don't thing that small of a size difference is a good argument these days. That's all. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I still go to your list of software to use for protection. :)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

Not hard drive space. RAM. :)

Less ram usage is better and does make a big difference in performance. I have a feeling if I used the firewall and whatever the other crap was I would have been using 100mb or more of ram just for that program. :o

I don't care how much a program uses on the hard drive. ;)

Not hard drive space. RAM. :)

:bowing: Most definitely agreed! :bowing again: LOL RAM usage is definitely important out the wazooo! Seems like I always need more. :lol:

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

Any antivirus that's using 50MB RAM is gonna run like s**t, plain and simple even on computers in this day and age. It's of no surprise that McAfee was running that badly as I've always had nothing but problems with it since circa 1998, and yeah I actually do think it's worse that another bloated av called Norton.

Another antivirus that I know of that uses 50MB or even more RAM is PC Tools Antivirus (the free edition) and it also runs horribly slow causing the system to become sluggish, although the GUI didn't take minutes to open.

i remember trying mcafee maybe 2/3 years ago.it was so frustrating and it was really aggressive trying to get me to buy its other programs.have stayed far away from anything mcafee ever since.and pretty much the same story for pc tools AV.all we can do is inform people about the best programs out there,and hope newbies dont get tricked into buying mcafee and norton and other lame programs when they get their first pc

Who watches The Watchmen?

I remember having mcafee on my old computer,it came with it already installed,

After a few weeks of slow computer and various other annoyances I uninstalled mcafee.

The funny thing was once mcafee was gone I found out how stupid it really was ,one example being ,it had blocked e-mails from itself regarding them as spam!!!! :rolleyes::lol:

• Moderators
No mention of its little brother Site Advisor. Although not perfect, are most of us in agreement that its still helpful. Better than nothing. :unsure:

Regards

SiteAdvisor has become what I call Nagware in that you have to click a link to get to the site statistics, well that only happened after they made a commercial version.

• Moderators

Nagware: I like that word. That xtra click of the mouse does fit that description perfectly.

But trouble is, once you`ve used it, it`s hard to go without it. I`ve just done an early springclean, a complete wipe and reinstall, and I`ve only replaced a fraction of what I previously had on my hard drive.

It`s easy to collect applications the way we collect CD`s.

So for now, I`m using IE7 (your fav.) and I haven`t yet replaced McAfee. But I keep looking down in the corner for that reassuring little green icon, and wondering if I`m on a site that "threatens browser security" or some other similar unpleasantness.

Will definitely reinstall it.

Regards

• Moderators

I'm really disappointed with the recent changes in site advisor as well.

It still does a good job, but its really annoying to have it take you to an ad site for the pro version instead of the info page on the website your on.

There really aren't any good alternatives at the moment.(or not at least the ones I've tried)

I tried another firefox extension(can't remember the name. I just remember it had a circle icon that was different colors) and I also tried something called firedog?(maybe a different animal..)

I know comodo has some sort of program out that might be ok, but I haven't tried it. What I didn't like was that instead of it adding just an icon into your browser it outlines your browser window with a bright green box.(which I assume turns red on bad sites)

Oh and by the way, McAfee is still the worst piece of crap I have ever tried. <_<

• Moderators
I'm really disappointed with the recent changes in site advisor as well.

It still does a good job, but its really annoying to have it take you to an ad site for the pro version instead of the info page on the website your on.

To me it's annoyance level is quickly outweighing any of it's benefits!!! ;)

I know comodo has some sort of program out that might be ok, but I haven't tried it.

I wouldn't touch another Comodo application with a barge pole even if someone were tempting to pay me. I recently formatted to completely get rid of that damned firewall and antivirus of theirs since the s**t doesn't uninstall properly which sounds very similar to McAfee and Norton garbage.

• Moderators

McAfee must have heard us talking, because I`ve just gone looking for a couple of red flagged sites. (which are not difficult to find). :rolleyes:

On both sites, left click > view site details took me straight to McAfee without the detour.

Give it a try before binning.

Regards

Edit: My son tried Comodo when he got his Laptop recently. Couldn`t wait to get it off. Played all sorts of havoc.

• Moderators

McAfee couldn't care less about what we write! Just tested SiteAdvisor by searching for McAfee Sucks on Google :lol: and SiteAdvisor still goes to the commercial page when clicking the more info link in the pop-up. Of course there's no need in complaining about it because I'm sure it doesn't exist in the commercial version which I'll never buy.

Yeah of course they don't care about what we think as they will always sell a lot of copies of there software and everyone seems to slag Norton off but it still hasn't stopped me from using it :D Doesn't McAfee get American government founding into developing there software or was that just some rummer that i heard?

If you think about it a lot of people really give Microsoft a slatting about there software but i doubt if they give two monkeys also and how many of the users that visit CCleaner forums use Microsoft, i would say that the vast majority do.

• Moderators
McAfee couldn't care less about what we write! Just tested SiteAdvisor by searching for McAfee Sucks on Google :lol: and SiteAdvisor still goes to the commercial page when clicking the more info link in the pop-up. Of course there's no need in complaining about it because I'm sure it doesn't exist in the commercial version which I'll never buy.

Strange <_< . I`ve just gone to that link, clicked on "McAfee Sucks > more info", and was taken straight to the "Web Safety Rating" page. Tried it a number of times.

Whichever way I do it, "more info" or left click "view site details" on the McAfee icon, I do not go to the commercial page.

Tried it a number of times with different sites, and goes direct each time. Tried FF and IE. Same result.

Don`t know what you guys are doing different to me, but I do not get the ad page for the pro version.

Regards

Strange <_< . I`ve just gone to that link, clicked on "McAfee Sucks > more info", and was taken straight to the "Web Safety Rating" page. Tried it a number of times.

Whichever way I do it, "more info" or left click "view site details" on the McAfee icon, I do not go to the commercial page.

Tried it a number of times with different sites, and goes direct each time. Tried FF and IE. Same result.

Don`t know what you guys are doing different to me, but I do not get the ad page for the pro version.

Regards

Anyone that actually reads the ad page will know why as it tells you there (or at least it did last time I saw it). You should only see the SiteAdvisor ad page once a month, if you're seeing it every time just allow/keep the SiteAdvisor cookie.

• Moderators
Anyone that actually reads the ad page will know why as it tells you there (or at least it did last time I saw it). You should only see the SiteAdvisor ad page once a month, if you're seeing it every time just allow/keep the SiteAdvisor cookie.

I knew that. :huh:

Just testing to see if everyone`s alert.