Cleaner Application Settings and Adobe Shockwave Player

EJJ

Today I updated my CCleaner to version 1.37.456 (updated from the previous latest version 1.34). I don't know if this has anything to do with the issue I describe below.

I installed Adobe Flash Player before I originally installed CCleaner (v1.34 something). In the "Cleaner Settings" screen, "Applications" Tab, under "Multimedia" , Adobe Flash Player is listed ok as expected.

Here is my problem: before I updated CCleaner today, I installed Adobe Shockwave Player (Version 10.1.4.20). I then updated CCleaner to 1.37.456. I have noticed that CCleaner has not listed Shockwave Player under "Multimedia" ("Cleaner Settings" screen, "Applications" Tab). Flash Player is still listed ok (it is still installed), but no Shockwave Player.

Does anyone know a solution for this that will allow Shockwave Player to be listed by CCleaner?

Is it a case that CCleaner does not recognise any applications installed AFTER CCleaner is installed?

Many thanks to anyone who can throw some light on the problem (if indeed it is a problem!) and help me to correct it.

Regards

EJJ

Here is my problem: before I updated CCleaner today, I installed Adobe Shockwave Player (Version 10.1.4.20). I then updated CCleaner to 1.37.456. I have noticed that CCleaner has not listed Shockwave Player under "Multimedia" ("Cleaner Settings" screen, "Applications" Tab). Flash Player is still listed ok (it is still installed), but no Shockwave Player.

Shockwave 10 isn't cleaned by CCleaner yet, there is a winapp2 entry for it though:

[Macromedia Shockwave 10]LangSecRef=3023Detect=HKCU\Software\Macromedia\Shockwave 10Default=TrueRegKey1=Software\Macromedia\Shockwave 10\movies

(Instructions on creating a winapp2.ini and more entries here: http://forum.CCleaner.com/index.php?showtopic=1110)

Shockwave 10 isn't cleaned by CCleaner yet, there is a winapp2 entry for it though:

[Macromedia Shockwave 10]LangSecRef=3023Detect=HKCU\Software\Macromedia\Shockwave 10Default=TrueRegKey1=Software\Macromedia\Shockwave 10\movies

(Instructions on creating a winapp2.ini and more entries here: http://forum.CCleaner.com/index.php?showtopic=1110)

Hi JD

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. I am not a Software guru I so I am a bit nervous about downloading the winnapp2 file. Is there a lot involved in this? Is it literally just a case of downloading the file and saving it? If so where do I save it to?

Any advice greatly received!

Regs

EJJ

Hi JD

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. I am not a Software guru I so I am a bit nervous about downloading the winnapp2 file. Is there a lot involved in this? Is it literally just a case of downloading the file and saving it? If so where do I save it to?

Well you don't actually have to download the winapp2 file, that has cleaning entries for many programs, you can just create one (its basically just a Notepad file) if you only want a Shockwave 10 entry.

Open Notepad, copy and paste the following into it:

; Application Cleaning file;; Notes; ---------------------------------------; LangSecRef;  3021 = Applications;  3022 = Internet;  3023 = Multimedia;  3024 = Utilities;  3025 = Windows[Macromedia Shockwave 10]LangSecRef=3023Detect=HKCU\Software\Macromedia\Shockwave 10Default=TrueRegKey1=Software\Macromedia\Shockwave 10\movies

Save as type: All Files. Filename: winapp2.ini, and click on Save. Then put this file into CCleaner program folder - usually C:\Program Files\CCleaner

If you want the additional cleaning for all the programs in the downloadable winapp2, just download it, unzip and put into the CCleaner program folder as above.

Well you don't actually have to download the winapp2 file, that has cleaning entries for many programs, you can just create one (its basically just a Notepad file) if you only want a Shockwave 10 entry.

Open Notepad, copy and paste the following into it:

; Application Cleaning file;; Notes; ---------------------------------------; LangSecRef;  3021 = Applications;  3022 = Internet;  3023 = Multimedia;  3024 = Utilities;  3025 = Windows[Macromedia Shockwave 10]LangSecRef=3023Detect=HKCU\Software\Macromedia\Shockwave 10Default=TrueRegKey1=Software\Macromedia\Shockwave 10\movies

Save as type: All Files. Filename: winapp2.ini, and click on Save. Then put this file into CCleaner program folder - usually C:\Program Files\CCleaner

If you want the additional cleaning for all the programs in the downloadable winapp2, just download it, unzip and put into the CCleaner program folder as above.

JD

your a true scholar! Fantastic, worked a treat. Thanks very much. I noted Glenn's comment in the next message that perhaps it should be titled "Adobe Shockwave Player". It's a odd one, because in the registry neither Flash Player nor Shockwave are listed in HKCU under Adobe, they are both still listed seperately under a "Macromedia" entry (plus of course Adobe still retain the Macromedia label). However to keep things consistent, I renamed it "Adobe Shockwave Player, by changing the first line in winapp2 file you got me to make. This might be worth taking onboard as a future mod to the winapp2 download zip file?

Thanks again, I owe you (but somehow I don't think I will be able to!)

Best regards

EJJ

A minor point but shouldn't the entries be renamed Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Shockwave Player rather than "Macromedia"?

Hi Glenn

Thanks for ponting this out. basically I agree, if for only to keep CCleaner consistent. See my earlier reply in the string.

Regards

EJJ

• 2 weeks later...

Question: WHAT is a winapp2.ini file? I can see that it is a simple text file, apparently referenced by CCleaner, if located in the CCleaner folder. Does it have broader meaning or implications? Is it used by other apps? Or is this unique to CCleaner?

Just curious.

• Moderators
Question: WHAT is a winapp2.ini file? I can see that it is a simple text file, apparently referenced by CCleaner, if located in the CCleaner folder. Does it have broader meaning or implications? Is it used by other apps? Or is this unique to CCleaner?

Just curious.

winapp2.ini is an add-on solely for usage in CCleaner. It allows us regular CCleaner users to make our own cleaning routines, and is graciously maintained by TwistedMetal whom adds user submitted cleaning routines. CCleaner reads the file and allows for cleaning of what's listed in it.

Also important to know is when installing new CCleaner versions it won't touch the winapp2.ini file one bit. ;)