AMD dual-core vs Intel Core 2 Duo

FETNU

I'm looking to buy a new pc and I've heard a lot about the Intel Core 2 Duo processor. However, the price difference is a huge jump when compared to the AMD dual-core. I'm in the process of debating between these two processors and was looking for some advice from the hardware gods...

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ dual-core - 2.4GHz

vs

Intel? Core?2 Duo Processor E6400 (2MB L2 Cache,2.13GHz,1066 FSB)

Any help you guys (and girls) can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

Ron

I'm looking to buy a new pc and I've heard a lot about the Intel Core 2 Duo processor. However, the price difference is a huge jump when compared to the AMD dual-core. I'm in the process of debating between these two processors and was looking for some advice from the hardware gods...

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ dual-core - 2.4GHz

vs

Intel? Core™2 Duo Processor E6400 (2MB L2 Cache,2.13GHz,1066 FSB)

Any help you guys (and girls) can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

Ron

Hi Ron,

It depends really. I'm an AMD Fan and knowing from me AMD processors are better towards to gaming and Intel is based more towards Application work. From what I know and heard "I could be wrong" but I think... Intel processors get hotter then an AMD Processor. For me AMD Processors tend to have a faster boot time and non-the-less they play games smoothly and don't tend to heat up.

Price is a major difference and I'd go toward AMD.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

It depends really. I'm an AMD Fan and knowing from me AMD processors are better towards to gaming and Intel is based more towards Application work.

Thanks for the quick reply! I probably should have mentioned that I don't do much gaming (if at all). Besides using the computer for basic, every day type stuff (email, web, MS Office, etc...) I will be using it for photo editing (PhotoShop CS2) and video editing (Ulead VideoStudio 10). I've had AMD's in the past and haven't had any problems, but I just want to be sure this processor will do what I need it to as opposed to the Core 2 Duo.

Ron

Ron,

The Intel based Processor you described should do fine but if it were me I'd go with the AMD cause it's just me and I've ONLY used AMD Processors.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

:lol: Better then my PC by far.