Jkdefrag

MajoMo

so having the hd defragged everytime the screensaver comes up seems like unneeded work on the hard drive.
but wear it out.
but its also not doing any good.
but it just seems like overkill and potentially problem causing.
Of course we each have our own opinions. :D

But...

• A defrag app. only defrag if there are something fragmented. It doesn't defrag what it is defragmented! To have or not to have a real-time defrag it is a dissimilar affair. And the Hard Disk don't stay tired... It is hard...

But...

A Diskeeper' opinion HERE.

• Moderators

First off the diskeeper people well.... just want you to buy diskeeper. :P

I didn't even read the link, I don't really care what they use to market their program. :)

I understand what your saying about its not defragging whats not fragmented but your still not going to get any real speed boost defragging every file on your pc that becomes fragmented every day. Sure if you want to go ahead, but personally I think its pretty pointless.

I'm not an expert on this topic, and never claimed to be, but I have some posts you might like to read.

There are only a few people on the internet that I trust pretty much any computer information from. One of these people is djlizard. Here are some good posts about this topic:

http://forum.CCleaner.com/index.php?showto...4&hl=defrag

http://forum.CCleaner.com/index.php?showto...7&hl=defrag

One of those threads brought up a good point. NOT defragging can make the drive search in multiple places for the various fragments of a file. Where as a fully defragmented drive has to search less. I guess there's two sides to this issue.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

There are three versions of the defragger with JKDefrag; the gui version, the command line version and the screensaver version. The command line version can easily be run by using bat files. Both the command lines version and the screensaver version allow for the use of switches, for instance:

JkDefragCmd.exe [-a N] [-s N ] [-d N] [-l "filename"] [items]

When I want to do a full optimization via the command lines version, I use these switches:

-a 4 -d 1

But for the screensaver version I do not use the full optimization switch because it will wear out the drive faster. For that I use:

-a 3 -d 1

Hope that helps clear thing up a bit.

...your still not going to get any real speed boost defragging every file on your pc that becomes fragmented every day. Sure if you want to go ahead, but personally I think its pretty pointless.

Agreed. Even if there is a small performance increase it's probably nothing you will notice.

However in the long term, after using PerfectDisk (with SMARTPlacement), I no longer had fps drops in counter-strike, my fps test result in cs source increased and my scores at pcpitstop increased. No other defragmenter did this for me.

JkDefrag is vastly better than the standard Windows one.

The Windows one will just rearrange files so they are in the best order possible with minimum effort.

JkDefrag actually optimizes the files as well as just rearranging them.