Pc Tools Firewall

rridgely

• Moderators

I just tried this neat little program out.

I read some reviews of it and found out that its a rebranded look and stop firewall.(which is an awesome program by the way)

Its a very simple program to use, its really light(using like 4mb ram on my system). You do have to register for a license but its no worse than comodo or any of the others that ask you to do that.

If your in the search for a firewall I suggest you give it a shot.

http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

• Moderators

Ok I actually like this firewall a lot now. Its been running solid for the last few hours, and is only using like 4mb of ram!

It has a decent GUI, and should be simple enough for most people who have used a firewall before. If your without a firewall at the moment or don't like the one your using, give this program a shot!

Rebranded firewall doesn't sound good in my ears.

Also, it has an ugly skinned interface, doesn't seem very cool. Seems like a noob firewall.

The website refers it to as a "New, free software utility for PC users to protect your computer from intruders and malicious network traffic.", free software? Nope, don't think so. The correct term would be "freeware" in this case.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

After experiencing problems with Kerio Personal Firewall, I decided to give this PC Tools firewall a try, incidentally I had only read about it recently somewhere, but decided to dismiss it as a viable solution for some reason.

But then after reading your recommendation of it rridgely, I thought I would give it a shot, seems ok so far.

• Moderators

Let me know if you like it in a few days CaPMan. :D

What kind of issues did you have with kerio? I really like that program, usually its pretty much set it and forget it.

Yeah comodo is a little heavy compared to a lot of firewalls. ZA and Comodo are about the same resource usage wise.(ZA pro dominates comodo, but if you want free get comodo if you have to use one of the two).

I can't be too sure that it was Kerio causing the problems, but I am guessing it was, only time will tell.

Anyway these are the problems I was experiencing:

Increased shutting down times (my computer normally shuts down in 30 seconds, but it was taking about 2 minutes with Kerio installed.

BSOD's (not often, but often enough to be a PITA.)

Erratic internet speeds.

Let me know if you like it in a few days CaPMan. :D

Still liking it at the moment.

Even to the extent that I uninstalled ZoneAlarm on the main computer in work, and put the PC Tools firewall on in it's place.

The new version of ZoneAlarm was blocking access to some chat rooms, with no way to configure it to allow access.

Plus the computer is running a lot quicker now as well, so the boss is pleased, he don't have to wait forever for quickbooks to open anymore. The computer has vastly improved in the speed that it starts up and shuts down as well.

I have not done any actual tests though, so hopefully it is providing the protection that it should be.