CCleaner/Firefox/Yahoo bug?

It wasn't really a problem for me, it never would have occurred to me to run CCleaner with any programs open. I normally run it just before I shut down the computer. I saw some posts on the Mozillazine forum from Firefox users who claimed CCleaner had messed up their browser's display. I found this hard to believe, but since I often recommend CCleaner, I thought I should look into it. I'm just glad it turned out to be so easy to fix!

Yep, I was dumb enough to run CCleaner with the mailbox open and online, my mail page on Yahoo was blank - tried IE and it was there. Firefox: Tools/Options/privacy - clear cache fixed it fine, no need to re-run CCleaner.

AND - Greenknight I support you. My modem kicked off suddenly. It was a day later so it does not count as clear proof, but it has never happened before. It would not reconnect (redialed but then nothing) in several tries. I turned off the 'puter and came back next day -all was well.

SO - I would recommend a screen upon opening the program to remind those who should know better to turn off all programs and modem before beginning.

And thanks for the program. There is a noticable improvement in start-up time.

Yep, I was dumb enough to run CCleaner with the mailbox open and online, my mail page on Yahoo was blank - tried IE and it was there. Firefox: Tools/Options/privacy - clear cache fixed it fine, no need to re-run CCleaner.

AND - Greenknight I support you. My modem kicked off suddenly. It was a day later so it does not count as clear proof, but it has never happened before. It would not reconnect (redialed but then nothing) in several tries. I turned off the 'puter and came back next day -all was well.

SO - I would recommend a screen upon opening the program to remind those who should know better to turn off all programs and modem before beginning.

And thanks for the program. There is a noticable improvement in start-up time.

You have got to be kidding. CCleaner does NOT touch your HARDWARE in any way except for the hard drive which it cleans files from that and unneeded. It simply removes files from the hard drive by CLEANING out what is JUNK.

Your modem kicked off. Oh my god, please tell me you've heard of.. *gasp!* ISP's going DOWN for some time or even dropping connections!

Dropped connections happen all the time. It's a COMMON occurance, especially if you use a free ISP such as Juno or NetZero for their free service. After 10 hours they cut you off and you can't get back on, as you'll get a weird error message.

Trying to tie those things in to software that works fine can cause paranoia. Is that what you want to do? It was a freak coincidence. Next time stop and think logically before you get yourself in a panic.

I admit, I had a good laugh over this. So did my PC Hardware & Troubleshooting professor, along with the rest of the class. Anyone else find it amusing?

Phone lines are crap. Face it. They were usually installed in neighborhoods anywhere between the 40s and 70s, and they usually don't change much over the course of 50 years [as far as upgrades and maintenance]. Also, as Tarun said, the other end could have dropped -- after all, it is a computer too. Phone lines use only two wires to send and receive, and neither of them is a grounding wire... and they are not insulated, either. Line noise is going to happen. Dropped connections are going to happen. There is a modulated analog signal which is 100x more sensitive to noise than a voice phone call is. It's insane to even think that a modem drop has to do with deleting a few temporary/miscellaneous files on your computer.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

• 3 weeks later...
This error occurs if you have Firefox running at the same time you run CCleaner. As it still thinks some of the temporary files still exist. I'm looking into a work-around for it.  B)

I too experience this bug and am able to reproduce it 100% of the time with every Firefox version (0.9 through 1.0.4):

1) Visit CNN.com

2) Have CCleaner clear Firefox cache

3) Reload page

You'll notice the CSS stylings have been lost and page reloads won't restore them. Only closing out the browser will reset things to normal. I've also experienced entire websites no longer loading after performing a clean with CCleaner while Firefox is open.

The advise of closing the browser before cleaning, while valid, is inconvenient.

admin, you may want to look in to the X 0.6.3 cache cleaning firefox extension:

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=130

It's capable of clearing the Firefox cache while avoiding the bugs others here have mentioned.

When cleaning the cache via CCleaner the files in the following folders as well as the folders themselves are deleted:

Cache

Cache.Trash

When cleaning the cache via X 0.6.3 the folders are emptied instead of deleted. But here's where the greater difference lies... After the 'Cache' folder is emptied, the follwing four files are re-created:

Cache\_CACHE_001_

Cache\_CACHE_002_

Cache\_CACHE_003_

Cache\_CACHE_MAP_

The 4 files in the Cache folder are all reset to 4096 bytes. Getting rid of these four files without allowing Firefox to recreate them is what appears to be the cause of the display bug.

There's probably nothing CCleaner can do about this because the X 0.6.3 extension uses Firefox's internal cache cleaning routine, which is capable of avoiding this bug. Perhaps CCleaner can look into ways of recreating these four files after it performs a clean?

Another thing I noticed, occassionally while using the X 0.6.3 extension to clean the cache... It sometimes moves the cache files from here:

Cache

to here:

Cache.Trash\Cache\_CACHE_001_

Cache.Trash\Cache\_CACHE_002_

Cache.Trash\Cache\_CACHE_003_

Cache.Trash\Cache\_CACHE_MAP_

Cache.Trash\Cache\other_cache_files

...thereby leaving the 'Cache' folder empty. In these instances, the four files I mentioned were not recreated in the 'Cache' folder.

The original cache files and their sizes were kept intact. Closing the Firefox browser clears the 'Cache.Trash' folder though and the four files above are once again recreated in the 'Cache' folder. I don't know why it does that and haven't been able to faithfully recreate this scenario, but it's definitely occuring.

It seems that Firefox always must have the four _CACHE_*_files to exist in either the 'Cache' or 'Cache.Trash' folder to prevent display bugs.