CCleaner/Firefox/Yahoo bug?

Following DjLizard's help in this topic http://forum.CCleaner.com/index.php?showtopic=844

he has asked me to post about this here, so here I am. :D

Not sure what info you need so if you need more please do tell me what you require.

Basically after running CCleaner and clearing out everything including the registry issues I could no longer access my Yahoo emails using Firefox.

After signing in I just got a completely blank, white screen.

Now with DjLizard's help I can do this although the page layout is incomplete.

Hope this helps and please do ask for any further information that may assist.

We're able to actually cause the problem using CCleaner. Right now, on this computer (at my workplace) I can cause CCleaner's own forums to appear screwed up (if I allow CCleaner to clean Firefox's cache). Same thing for me at home, and several of my customer machines.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

We're able to actually cause the problem using CCleaner.  Right now, on this computer (at my workplace) I can cause CCleaner's own forums to appear screwed up (if I allow CCleaner to clean Firefox's cache).  Same thing for me at home, and several of my customer machines.

Simple solution: run CCleaner twice. I've had this problem before with Firefox and CCleaner. All you have to do is run CCleaner twice, ie., press clean, then press clean again, then again just to be sure :lol: . It should work after you do that.

Hmm. I see...

Didn't think of it this way, but I'm using Firefox preloader, which keeps it loaded even when it's not open.. so that explains a lot. :P

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, put at least the temporary solution will tide us over until we can get a patch :)

I tried the temporary solution on my WinXP Prof. w/ SP2 and 'clean' several times with FireFox 1.0.2 still running and it does not work--blank Yahoo mail page (make sure you are inside the Yahoo mailbox).

The only *sure* workaround is to go into FireFox Options->Privacy and manually clear the cache. Then the Yahoo mail page reappear properly.

Pretty annoying--as I use FireFox extensively now on all my PC's. Hope the fix comes out real soon.

I tried the temporary solution on my WinXP Prof.  w/ SP2 and 'clean' several times with FireFox 1.0.2 still running and it does not work--blank Yahoo mail page (make sure you are inside the Yahoo mailbox). 

The only *sure* workaround is to go into FireFox Options->Privacy and manually clear the cache.  Then the Yahoo mail page reappear properly.

Pretty annoying--as I use FireFox extensively now on all my PC's.  Hope the fix comes out real soon.

Close all browser windows and THEN run CCleaner.

Thanks Tarun!!! You solved my problem.  "Close all browser windows and THEN run CCleaner." Open their eyes and the blind shall see! Now - how are the brainless made to think? Thanks again!

Sometimes the most simple solution is the most obvious one.

Or in the case the one right in front of your eyes. (Even as you read this message!) :D

Following DjLizard's help in this topic http://forum.CCleaner.com/index.php?showtopic=844

he has asked me to post about this here, so here I am. :D

Not sure what info you need so if you need more please do tell me what you require.

Basically after running CCleaner and clearing out everything including the registry issues I could no longer access my Yahoo emails using Firefox.

After signing in I just got a completely blank, white screen.

Now with DjLizard's help I can do this although the page layout is incomplete.

Hope this helps and please do ask for any further information that may assist.

On any java type page if you runn CCleaner and do not reboot it will wipe out the forrmating, I do this all the time to kill flashing adds.

Try these links for the cleanest, fastest yahoo , google

http://wap.oa.yahoo.com/raw?dp=mail

http://bookmarks.yahoo.com/config/set_bookmark

http://www.google.com/palm

http://wap.switchboard.com/xhtml/index.asp

On any java type page if you runn CCleaner and do not reboot it will wipe out the forrmating, I do this all the time to kill flashing adds.

Try these links for the cleanest, fastest yahoo  , google

http://wap.oa.yahoo.com/raw?dp=mail

http://bookmarks.yahoo.com/config/set_bookmark

http://www.google.com/palm

http://wap.switchboard.com/xhtml/index.asp

Just run CCleaner with all browser windows closed.

R.I.P.

These threads are dead DRVTACH, if you'd read them you'd have noticed we've posted the solution several times throughout this page. (You attacked me in another thread for supposedly not *reading*, yet here you are, not reading).

Sun Java is not Javascript is not a GIF is not a Flash animation

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

R.I.P.

These threads are dead DRVTACH, if you'd read them you'd have noticed we've posted the solution several times throughout this page. (You attacked me in another thread for supposedly not *reading*, yet here you are, not reading).

Sun Java is not Javascript is not a GIF is not a Flash animation

Unfortunately, the manual cache cleaning is the only solution for me personally because of the following:

1. I need to run CCleaner in an automated/unattended fashion. Currently I set up a Windows scheduled task that is executed every night on all my PCs.

2. I need to keep all the FireFox browser windows open without interruption at all times as I have lots of work tied to the tabs in the windows that I don't want to close. The FireFox tabs feature is what really caused me to switch browser as I can have many tabs accessible without cluttering the desktop. Closing the browser windows means I will lose all my work.

Thx for the tmp workaround but unfortunately it doesn't help in my situation.

Unfortunately, the manual cache cleaning is the only solution for me personally because of the following:

1. I need to run CCleaner in an automated/unattended fashion.  Currently I set up a Windows scheduled task that is executed every night on all my PCs.

2. I need to keep all the FireFox browser windows open without interruption at all times as I have lots of work tied to the tabs in the windows that I don't want to close. The FireFox tabs feature is what really caused me to switch browser as I can have many tabs  accessible without cluttering the desktop.  Closing the browser windows means I will lose all my work. 

Thx for the tmp workaround but unfortunately it doesn't help in my situation.

Try to run CCleaner on startup using the /AUTO command.

This error occurs if you have Firefox running at the same time you run CCleaner. As it still thinks some of the temporary files still exist. I'm looking into a work-around for it.  B)

I tested this myself. Not only did I have missing graphics, my modem couldn't dial up afterward. I had to do a system restore.

Ok that's just plain absurd.

I know it sounds absurd, but it's what happened. I tried to reconnect 3 or 4 times, kept getting the same error message, one I'd never seen before. I wish I'd written it down, but I was in a bit of a panic. I was prepared for Firefox to get messed up, had backed up profile and saved a copy of the setup file so I could reinstall the browser easily. I was totally dumbfounded when this happened.

I know it sounds absurd, but it's what happened. I tried to reconnect 3 or 4 times, kept getting the same error message, one I'd never seen before. I wish I'd written it down, but I was in a bit of a panic. I was prepared for Firefox to get messed up, had backed up profile and saved a copy of the setup file so I could reinstall the browser easily. I was totally dumbfounded when this happened.

Post hoc ergo proctor hoc. (because of this, then that) fatal error! Might be an unrelated problem, more than 1 problem, or all of the above.

If it isn't broke, tweak it.

Post hoc ergo proctor hoc. (because of this, then that) fatal error! Might be an unrelated problem, more than 1 problem, or all of the above.

If experimental results can't be reproduced, they're meaningless, so I guess I'll have to try it again - as soon as I can work up the nerve. I'll post the results afterward, so stay tuned.

Well, I tried it 3 more times, and I was not able to reproduce the problem with the modem. The problem of missing graphics was consistently reproduced, however. It didn't just affect the site I was connected to when I ran CCleaner (this one) either. Running it again after disconnecting did correct the problem. Cleaning again while still connected didn't help. So it seems my inability to dial up after my first test was a fluke, or a coincidence. I've been told by a couple of users that they run CCleaner while online, with no problems. So it doesn't affect all systems, is easily reversable, basically not much of a problem. Of course, I didn't try running the "Issues" scan while online, I'll leave that to somebody braver (or stupider) than me. :)

Greenknight I'm glad you solved your problem... I have pretty much the same problem as you... however, it turns out that just running it several times fixes the problem... we should make a topic thens sticky it....