Antivir Antivirus

Ok, my etrust still wont scan my email, so it got the boot. Im now giving Antivir a try. I like the look of it, and going to play with it a bit and will post back. Gets a lot of good reviews, but ill see for myself.

i think somebody on this site might have recommended antivir actually,cant remember exactly.i use kaspersky internet security suite myself,absolutly love it.have never had virus problems since i started using it a few years ago

Who watches The Watchmen?

Antivir is now known as Avira.

I've tried it, its okay, but the update method could be better. Another decent antivirus software is AVG Free.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

NOD32 is really the best! The only negatives I've ever seen have been the fact that it is a little confusing (default is probably all you need), however, if you follow Blackspears instruction at the linked site it is quite easy to customize. And oh yes it's quite good with emails!

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdispla...une=-1&f=16

I am the one who is using Avira AntiVir (used to be called just AntiVir before) for couple of years now...

And very happy with it.. - It's Free ..and highly rated .. and i like the design of it, etc...

In any case.. very happy with it.. ( liked it better than other Free ones that i tried earlier - i think those were - Avast! and AVG ) .. tried them .. and settled down with AntiVir at the end :D

Here's the fix to stop the Pro update nag, if anyone wants it: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.ph...mp;postcount=29

Since I was in a mood for change (see my Blink thread), I swapped out CA for Antivir today and applied the above fix. When does the nag supposedly appear?

yeah i havent had a nag screen yet-but will check out the fix. :) thanks for that!

I see no problem but I use Avast! Yes... I have heard of Antivir but I've been with Avast! for over 3 years and haven't had any problems besides a conflict with Spyware Terminator but it was over looked and fix by the developer.

Although still Antivir is a good one and so is AVG Free but AVG awhile back had a major! update problem and I was fed-up with it and found Avast! weeks later but I'm sure by now AVG has been over with that problem.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

Antivir beats avast hands down in my opinion.

Real automatic scans, better interface(even the non skinned one sucks), and lighter on resources.(I've also had much better luck with antivir detection and removal wise .)

Hmm... really? I may look in but not right now. Thx.

"But it's an opinion but coming from you I'm willing to agree"

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• Moderators

I agree Kaspersky is very good but... most of us probably just keep an antivirus for the novelty of it.(not to trivialize it or anything because they are needed.) What I mean is that I'm willing to bet that most of the people who do the stuff in this topic here probably don't get viruses. So why pay for software when you could get something for free that is basically just for peace of mind anyway. :D

Now it is true that I have a paid version of the ZA suite on my laptop right now. The simple reason for that is because ZA pro firewall pretty much still beats everything else out there and I connect to a bunch of public wifi spots throughout the day. Plus the AV in it is one I like (etrust) and in the next version it will be kaspersky. :D

I download and test a LOT of malware and upload anything unknown to sites like Jotti and/or VirusTotal. I an only say that in my experience AntiVir offers the best detection of ALL freeware AV's. Do not look any further if you're looking for a freeware solution...

I download and test a LOT of malware and upload anything unknown to sites like Jotti and/or VirusTotal. I an only say that in my experience AntiVir offers the best detection of ALL freeware AV's. Do not look any further if you're looking for a freeware solution...

Well that makes me feel good coming from such a notable Malware fighter as yourself TonyKlein.

From everything I have read, if I was to purchase an anti virus, it would be Kaspersky. But as I dont frequent "questionable" sites, and dont open emails unless they have been scanned and I know the sender, I feel pretty safe, and do not want to put out the money for Kaspersky.

I continue to be very happy with this anti virus. :)

Hi Tony,

How would you rate the AOL active shield as it uses the Kaspersky engine and free.

Here's the fix to stop the Pro update nag, if anyone wants it: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.ph...mp;postcount=29

Since I was in a mood for change (see my Blink thread), I swapped out CA for Antivir today and applied the above fix. When does the nag supposedly appear?

Well, the fix for Win2000 users didn't work for me. The startup denial for avnotify.exe is still in place. I guess I'll have to try something else.

• Moderators

The drawback to blocking avnotify.exe which I do happen to block on my system is that you cannot retrieve virus information from the Avira servers, so it seems as though avnotify.exe if more than just an advert to get the pro version of AntiVir.

cudnt get a better recommendation than off tony ;)

might check it out if i ever get bored of kaspersky

Thanks for the compliment. segrin.gif

However do take in account the advantages of the Premium edition:

* Integrated detection of ad/spyware

* Extra protection through email scanner (POP3)

* Exclusive download server for faster updates

* User-defined update intervals

* Scan function for selected directories

At only ? 20 ( $ 25,80 ) it is a relative bargain, and IMHO well worth the price.

As for AOL Antivirus Shield, I believe it has been discussed here previously (don't remember where tho...). It is a seriously slimmed down version of KAV, without HTTP scanner, heuristic detection and more.

Here's a list of what it lacks in comparison with KAV: http://www.kaspersky.com/faq?qid=194134869

It also (still, I believe) contains an unnecessary toolbar, which however it is possible to opt out of during setup.

It is still way better than NO ativirus, of course...

• Moderators
When getting updates sometimes AntiVir Notify thingy pops in.. - big deal.. it's kinda cute actually..

Just press OK on it.. and it's gone anyhow ;)

It's just a matter of personal preference, although I must say personally it f'n annoyed me which was why I had stopped using AntiVir for sometime. Only after finding out how to block avnotify.exe I started using AntiVir again.