Can't Update Anti-virus

tosh

Hi,

Just ran ccleaner for the first time - now my Norton anti-virus or No Adware software won't update the error says "Live update could not retrieve the catalog file please check your internet connection" No Adware software displays a similar message. I'm using a laptop with wireless card, I'm browsing OK, so definately on-line, but just can't update my software. My other computer conected to the hub is updating OK.

Note:Although i'm on-line the little box that normally flashes up saying "IP address retrieved" when booting up is no longer there. Have I deleted something with ccleaner I shouldn't have? I'm just using windows firewall

Any help would be greatly appriciated

Cheers, Tosh

i doubt ccleaner has done anything wrong,it seems to be a pretty safe program.im sure an admin can tell you more

you should consider getting a better anti virus and spyware program than norton and "no adware" - which ive never heard of which cant be good - AVG anti virus would suit you a lot better,and "ad-aware" or "spybot - search and destroy" would be better anti spyware programs

can get em on www.downloads.com

Who watches The Watchmen?

• Moderators
"no adware" - which ive never heard of which cant be good

NoAdware was de-listed by SpywareWarrior viewable here.

As for antivirus software if Tosh or anyone else for that matter wishes to use Norton AV that's their choice, it isn't the reason the thread was started to get replacement recommendations - although I'm not fond of Norton AV.

Possibly something each program stores in the temp folder, and perhaps a reboot would fix it.

Thx for your advice peeps, I've used norton for years and no problems ever - touch wood - same with noadware, I've tried rebooting my computer and router but still won't update :(

Help!

Thx Woody

I've read the thread and I also have the corporate edition and update through live update manually, however he was conecting but just not getting the current update, my problem is that i'm not even seeing the norton server. :( again thx for your effort ;)

Let's see.You can surf OK but both security apps can't or won't update.

Don't want to sound alarmist but some types of malware can add your security update servers to be blocked through the hosts file.

May I suggest a free online scan with the Kaspersky AV and a posting of a hijackthis log in the HijackThis Log Analysis section just to be sure.

Thx Humpty and everyone who offered help ;)

Panic Over !! would you believe a 2nd re-boot of the router and l'm back in business both software updating. don't you just love computers :lol:

is there a leading av software and adware free or not?

Thx Humpty and everyone who offered help ;)

Panic Over !! would you believe a 2nd re-boot of the router and l'm back in business both software updating. don't you just love computers :lol:

is there a leading av software and adware free or not?

I'm glad you've got this sorted out. Have a look at this.

http://forum.ccleaner.com/index.php?showtopic=7323

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse