The Countdown to Ad-Aware 2007

Humpty

Don't use it myself but many do and may find this of interest.

Quote:

Ad-Aware 2007 is coming soon to a computer near you.

Lavasoft is currently putting the finishing touches on the release candidate with the help of our loyal VIP beta-testers. The developers have been hard at work for months on the latest version of the anti-spyware tool used by more than 200 million computer users around the world today.

"Thanks to the input from our users around the world, I am thrilled to bring a new Ad-Aware product to the market that is designed to meet the needs of today's computer user," says Lavasoft CEO Ann-Christine ?kerlund. "As soon as Ad-Aware 2007 hits the market, we will be turning our attention to the next generation of Lavasoft products."

Lavasoft article

The problem is that almost none of these familiar antispyware apps are really very good at removing the current generation of ever more sophisticated adware and spyware, making use of cloaking technologies, code injection, and what have you.

AAW 2007 will almost certainly not represent a significant improvement in that respect either. The future lies in hardening of the operating system, making it more difficult for malware to infect it, and in kernel based HIPS technology (Process Guard, Ghost Security Suite and so on)

That said, I still have Ad-Aware and SpyBot installed myself as well, I sometimes think mainly for old times sake... segrin.gif

But both can certainly be useful, I hasten to add.

Aargh, I'm unable to get my Wikikpedia 'HIPS' link to work; here it is: http://wiki.castlecops.com/HIPS_FAQ

And yes, these applications ARE good, because they're not retroactive, but proactive, and much more effectively so, I might add, than say, Windows Defender or AAW real time protection.

Note that ideally you also need Registry protection, for example by GSS RegDefend: http://www.ghostsecurity.com/index.php?page=regdefend

System Safety Monitor too comes highly recommended: http://www.syssafety.com/

The apps do have a learning curve, but if you're intrerested in really effective protection, it's worth it!

yeah ive always been interested in learning as much as possible bout security for pcs,will check out all those links.i dont wanna be stuck using newb friendly programs if there are far better ones out there that require a bit of knowledge.what programs do u use yourself for ur pc?

Who watches The Watchmen?

The Wikipedia 'HIPS' link was a great read,and definitely taught me a few things.also your right about the future lying in the hardening of the operating system and in kernel based HIPS technology.you cant really afford to let yourself be infected by spyware+viruses in the first place,and then hope programs like AA or spybot or kaspersky will get rid of em,you need to be more active and have excellent programs to stop it in the first place,like these HIPS products.

also 1984 i think processguard is free.id love to know wat HIPS products and other security stuff u use tony.and if u have any more links concerning HIPS and other stuff,id love to read em.if more people knew bout HISPS(i knew barely nothing+i thought my pc security knowledge was decent) then there wud be a serious lack of spyware+other problems on ppls pcs

• Moderators

This a pretty good link as well:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/security_HIPS.htm

My problem with these programs is that like what tony said they are not dead easy to use. Sure I can use them but if I was to put it on say a computer illiterate relatives computer would it do any good? Probably not because they would just click allow to anything it asked for verification for.

But then on say someone who knows a lot about computers I'm not sure HIPS are needed still. I know I'm not likely to click on an infected IM link or email. I know that my pc is pretty much locked down, so is using a program that produces tons of pop ups for my input needed?

Whats your opinion on this tony? Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way. :unsure:

But then on say someone who knows a lot about computers I'm not sure HIPS are needed still. I know I'm not likely to click on an infected IM link or email. I know that my pc is pretty much locked down, so is using a program that produces tons of pop ups for my input needed?

As you well know, with new Windows and IE vulnerabilities being detected all the time, one sometimes doesn't even need to click a link or open an attachment in order to get infected... :P

As for "tons of popups", that's only true the first couple of days as the application 'gets to know' your operating system and its processes. You can compare it somewhat to when you first installed your firewall. Most of these applications also have a whitelist listing certain trusted applications and actions they're allowed to take.

As for some of the other questions, Proces Guard isn't freeware although it has a free trial. My own setup comprises Look n Stop firewall, Nod32, BOClean Antitrojan, and GSS (AppDefend + RegDefend) And I do still use AAW and SpyBot for scanning on demand. I'm currently also looking at Sunbelt's Counterspy.

Note that, if you're an average computer user who doesn't take frequent "walks on the wild side", has all critical updates installed, runs a decent quality antivrus, a firewall, and uses common sense, you're already doing a lot better than most... :rolleyes:

I would recommend some sort of real time registry montoring, be it Windows Defender Real Time monitoring, SpyBot's TeaTimer or something else.

well i looked @ processguard,system safety monitor,and one called defensewall i think which seemed to get good reviews.decided to settle on processguard.looks nice and seems quite decent.

i checked sunbelts counterspy myself ages ago,i heard its supposed to be one of the best anti-spyware programs,but its just so ugly,those bright yellow/orange colours all over the program!anyway gonna check out some of the programs you listed

im just wondering why you use nod32+boclean antitrojan.wud nod32 not find any trojans by itself?i use kaspersky myself,love everything about it,never have any virus problems with it

im just wondering why you use nod32+boclean antitrojan.wud nod32 not find any trojans by itself?

Nod32 does a good job there too, although admittedly its forte lies in detecting "fast moving" threats like worms and viruses. I also very much like its heuristic qualities (behavioral and generic detection of entirely new malware).

I just like BOClean a lot. It's probably the best AT available today, with a vast database, and a different approach from most others: you can't have it run an on demand scan (although you can have it scan a single file) but instead it runs silently in the background, watching memory, registry, and the file system waiting for malware to load up and then shuts it down before they have a chance to operate.

Kaspersky is also an excellent choice though. It's database is one of the largest in the business, and updates are frequent. Still, I think it's useful to have a layered defense, with one program to take over if the first fails to notice or stop an intruder.

• 1 month later...
Aargh, I'm unable to get my Wikikpedia 'HIPS' link to work; here it is: http://wiki.castlecops.com/HIPS_FAQ

Excuse me, but the link does not go to Wikipedia but to CastleCopsWiki which is a totally different thing. Even though the same Wiki package is used (hence the similarity in look), the CastleCopswiki is totally unrelated to Wikipedia!

http://wiki.castlecops.com/HIPS/IDP_programs/services

Comparison of various HIPS , many of which are free, or have free versions indicated in the table.

• Moderators
whens this new ad-aware coming out?any details on why it will be good?

I'm not sure when its coming out.

I know I signed up for the beta but I haven't gotten any emails back yet. :(

All I've seen about it is the new super ugly A icon.

I'm not sure when its coming out.

I know I signed up for the beta but I haven't gotten any emails back yet. :(

From the Lavasoft blog:

The public beta for Ad-Aware 2007 is still a few weeks away and we already have more than 50,000 people signed up, eagerly awaiting the chance to test it.

Thank you to all those who have registered and to those who plan on registering. We look forward to getting your feedback. You will be helping create the final product trusted by hundreds of millions of computer users around the world.

Visit the Lavasoft Security Center and register. (The beta is not yet listed for download. Look for it in March).

• 4 weeks later...
Shankira. :wub:

Although, I don't actually like her music. :P

Lusher look for TonyKlein at Castle Cops. I think you will find he knew what he was linking to.

LOL. What makes you think I don't know who Tony Klein is? Look me up in castlecops wiki as well.... and you will see I know more about wikis and wikipedia than Tony... Hint, the pages he linked were created by me.

BTW being knowledgeable (spyware) in one area doesn't' mean Tony can't be mistaken on the difference between a wiki and Wikipedia (a very common mistake for most people). to my knowledge Tony doesn't do wikis, while I'm a post graduate student doing a master thesis on Wikis...

To call the castlecops wiki, Wikipedia is a mistake regardless of who is making the statement!