Building a PC from newegg

Lebpride

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishli...Leb+PC+wishlist

This is my first time putting up a new computer together, I did some a lot of web searching and reading reviews from newegg about the items I'm looking to buy.

So since this is my first time (might sound like a complete noob) I think all the hardwares are compatible with each other, so if that's all good I'm looking to see if they work nicely, or if I need to get a better hardware to get a smoother response from my PC.

Also I have a XFX GeForce 7900GT PCI-E Video Card that's I've already ordered, about the harddrive I'll be looking for that later (I'm mainly worried what's on my wishlist). But if you got an idea about a new HDD that goes along with what I got please feel free to link it. Same goes for CD-ROM, not looking for one now but if you know a good one please link as well.

Any help on this would be appreciated, and I thank you all in advance.

Hey Lebpride,

Looks like a lovely system indeed. :)

I can vouch for your mobo, as I use the non-SLI version of that board in almost all of the computers I have built for others. ASUS mobos in general are great because they run cool and quiet and have very full-featured BIOS'.

Your CPU is good, but I do have a question: do you intend to do any overclocking? If not, I would recommend getting the low-power version of that CPU, since right now it costs the same as the high-powered version. If you don't overclock your CPU, the lower-power version will run just as fast, but it will consume less power and generate less heat. Just something to keep in mind.

As far as optical and hard drives go, might I recommend the following:

Hard drive - Lots of storage at a reasonable price, plus Seagate's 5-year warranty; I have two of these in my PC and they perform great.

Optical drive - Also used this one quite a few times, and it works good. Burns fast, doesn't make too much noise, and has LightScribe support, if you want to label your discs with your drive.

Let us know how your first build goes for you. Good luck!

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

I appreciate the fast response Lokoike, as far as my CPU goes no I won't be doing any OC'ing so I will go with your advice and get the one you suggested, thanks a lot for that.

I'll definitely look into the HDD and CD-ROM you suggested, and by just doing a quick glance on them they do seem pretty good to me :)

As a first time computer builder my biggest concern if all those items will work together (case, mobo, cpu, psu, vcard). Nothing is worse than having to return these items because I got the wrong one.

And again I really do appreciate your help there Lokoike.

O and here's a link to the vcard I got

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814150195

Oh, you dont get a CD-ROM drive, you get a DVD burner, preferably one with SATA interface. :)

Your memory is Patriot, rather unknown brand (atleast to me), I would go with a more well-known brand such as Corsair or something. The memory is PC6400, maybe there are PC5300 memory which is cheaper.

Note, the Intel Core 2 Duo is the CPU that currently holds the crown, though its more expensive than AMD.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

I've been updating this... a LOT actually, mind taking a look?

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishli...tTitle=Leb+PC+2

Thanks.

Also which one you guys would recommend?

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16813131031

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813131045

Also is e6600 worth the money or e6400 would be better?

Both boards listed are good boards. In the more expensive board, you are basically paying for the NVIDIA North Bridge (the cheaper board uses an Intel North Bridge). If SLI is extremely important to you, I would probably go with the more expensive board, because of the better North Bridge.

But, the board with the Intel North Bridge is still a good board, for far less money. Not to mention, it has a couple more SATA II ports to boot. :D

Just a note (a little off topic, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in here): while Intel may be leading the CPU market by a small (very small) margin, I wouldn't give up on AMD. AMD procs have always been fantastic, and when AMD releases their next line of procs, you may very well wish you had stuck with socket AM2 (assuming they retain the same socket, which I would imagine they will). That isn't to say that you should only use AMD or only use Intel, I'm just saying look carefully at both companies before making your final decision on which mobo and processor to buy. I am currently using AMD, and unless Intel gives me a really good reason to switch over, I will use AMD on my next build as well.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

Personally I would go for the E6400. I think that the E6600 is a little bit too expensive.

As lokoike says, AMD is not a bad choice. I am currently using an AMD system, I am happy with it. I also am looking to buy a new system, I am looking at Intel as they currently seems to be the better choice.

But AMD has cheaper systems. AMD will eventually launch its K8L architecture, but I don't know when, and by then, Intel will be probably having something too. I believe Intel will continue to hold the lead, they soon going down to 45nm, and AMD just recently got down to 65nm.

If you want a cheap computer, go for an AMD, else I would go for an Intel.

You don't need PC6400 memory. I believe PC5300 memory is cheaper and sufficient.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

sounds great man

get sum pix of when its built?

Yea I'll definitely post some pics of my PC when it's built I haven't even ordered it hehe.

Also thanks to lokoike and Eldmannen they helped me decide which will be better to invest in.

Regarding the Intel vs AMD "argument" I've been hearing that a lot, with the k8l architecture AMD will actually be better than Intel, however Intel at that time will be using 45nm. So yea it's a tough decision, that's why my solution is I'm willing to spend that extra $$ to keep my computer longer, which in this case so far I'm leaning more toward Intel.

• 2 weeks later...
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishli...Leb+PC+wishlist

This is my first time putting up a new computer together, I did some a lot of web searching and reading reviews from newegg about the items I'm looking to buy.

So since this is my first time (might sound like a complete noob) I think all the hardwares are compatible with each other, so if that's all good I'm looking to see if they work nicely, or if I need to get a better hardware to get a smoother response from my PC.

Also I have a XFX GeForce 7900GT PCI-E Video Card that's I've already ordered, about the harddrive I'll be looking for that later (I'm mainly worried what's on my wishlist). But if you got an idea about a new HDD that goes along with what I got please feel free to link it. Same goes for CD-ROM, not looking for one now but if you know a good one please link as well.

Any help on this would be appreciated, and I thank you all in advance.

DO NOT BUY a WESTERN DIGITAL HARD DRIVE!!!! Seagate is one of the most Reliable hard drives out there...!!

Last year I purchased a WD 80 gig drive (7200 rpm's) and used it as my "C" drive and it Crashed within 8 months. I am now using (2) Seagate hard drives: C = 120 gig and D = 200 gigs. I have owned the 120 gig for over a year and it is by far the quietest, efficient and reliable hard drive I have ever used.

DO NOT BUY a WESTERN DIGITAL HARD DRIVE!!!! Seagate is one of the most Reliable hard drives out there...!!

Last year I purchased a WD 80 gig drive (7200 rpm's) and used it as my "C" drive and it Crashed within 8 months. I am now using (2) Seagate hard drives: C = 120 gig and D = 200 gigs. I have owned the 120 gig for over a year and it is by far the quietest, efficient and reliable hard drive I have ever used.

Seagate got a good reputation. But I think Western Digital and Samsung got a good reputation too. Maxtor got pretty bad reputation though. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a WD though, I've heard good stuff about them.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png