CCleaner Changes MS Word?

Bulldog

Greetings. About the time I upgraded to a newer version of CCleaner, a few weeks ago, I noticed that the global template in MS Word 2002 - normal.dot - had reverted to Word's default settings. Whenever I changed the settings back to my own preferences, the changed settings held until I restarted my computer. After restarting, normal.dot was back to its defaults.

Clearly, something was happening while my PC was starting that was affecting Word's global template. After an extended process of elimination it turned out that the cause was...CCleaner. I have CCleaner set to run when the computer starts. When I stopped this, Word was unchanged. To confirm, I reset the global template to my preferences and ran CCleaner manually. Sure enough, normal.dot was changed to its defaults. One last experiment: I opened CCleaner and in the Applications tab I un-checked 'Office XP'. I then ran CCleaner, and Word was unaffected.

I wonder if you're aware of an issue with a recent upgrade to CCleaner and Word 2002. Many thanks for your help.

Welcome to the forums bulldog :D

There's been a few complaints about it.

For now, I would just uncheck Word in Ccleaner.

Also, not sure if you know or not but having Ccleaner run when you start up could be bad.

Especially if you've just installed a program that needs a restart to finish installing.

-aaron ;)

Welcome to the forums bulldog :D

There's been a few complaints about it.

For now, I would just uncheck Word in Ccleaner.

Also, not sure if you know or not but having Ccleaner run when you start up could be bad.

Especially if you've just installed a program that needs a restart to finish installing.

-aaron ;)

Many thanks for your reply. I am sure the CCleaner team will take care of this.

And thanks for the tip about not starting CCleaner at startup...I wondered it that, too.

Happy holidays.

• Moderators

I am sure the CCleaner team will take care of this.

Unlikely, you'll just have to untick the cleaning of MS Office, and I'd highly advise not letting any other cleaning program clean it either.

This recent thread just got into Word settings being removed:

http://forum.ccleaner.com/index.php?showtopic=8116

Unlikely, you'll just have to untick the cleaning of MS Office, and I'd highly advise not letting any other cleaning program clean it either.

This recent thread just got into Word settings being removed:

http://forum.ccleaner.com/index.php?showtopic=8116

Thank you for the link, which helped to explain things for me. Unticking 'Office XP' (in my case) does the trick. I'll continue to rely on CCleaner as I have for some time now.

One last thing, and it's off-topic: Such a fine utility deserves a better name than Crap Cleaner.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the link, which helped to explain things for me. Unticking 'Office XP' (in my case) does the trick. I'll continue to rely on CCleaner as I have for some time now.

One last thing, and it's off-topic: Such a fine utility deserves a better name than Crap Cleaner.

I think its a nice KISS.