newly bought pc cleaner

Ben Stone

bsd

usually new pcs come with a boatload of useless software and trialware, etc. just to get to start point, after you clean up the mess, takes at least half hour.

so the suggestion:

a module that scans for the usual stuff, and automatically calls the uninstalls.

for example:

• trial anti virus (symantec, mcaffe)
  • aol
  • picture managers
  • google desktop
  • ms office trial
  • ms works
  • media center crap
  • money managers

also, desktop shortcuts.

users could have an option to upload a report of the scan, to keep the list up to date.

i hope i was clear,

regards

• Moderators

Problem is until a user that is new to computers figures out there are other antivirus solutions around removing even a working trial is a dangerous step, well at least it would be without offering links to alternative freeware antivirus software. S**t like AOL can be removed without any complaints from me whatsoever.

Yeah, OEM computers always come with a boatload of junk.

Better to build your own computer. ;)

If you buy an OEM computer, format the disk and reinstall the operating system. God knows what else they sneaked into your system.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

bsd

actually removing trial av, adding some clear warning about a replacement, would actually be safer. new users don't care about av, and mostly ignore trial expiration warning. tired of seeing it.

as for oem, you don't have much choice with laptops, and not everybody has the time or knowledge to DIY desktops. oems usually make it easy to reset your pc to the same overloaded state it came in, the recovery utils themself being another piece of junk, instead of giving a folder with -exclusively- needed drivers, and some simple silent install script. way too simple for them. and hunting drivers isn't fun either.

as for myself, still planning of building a decent nlite install!