hd

ok. I have 1 hd for xp and 1 for linux .My motherb detected both ,i set xp's hd master and linux's slave(motherb detected),hwever,when login in xp ,the linux' hd doesnot show up in "my computer".(the weird thing is that i think it shows up in "divice manage".anyone know why my slave hardrive does not shows in My Computer?thanks

ok. I have 1 hd for xp and 1 for linux .My motherb detected both ,i set xp's hd master and linux's slave(motherb detected),hwever,when login in xp ,the linux' hd doesnot show up in "my computer".(the weird thing is that i think it shows up in "divice manage".anyone know why my slave hardrive does not shows in My Computer?thanks

I don't use Linux, although I did put Ubuntu Linux on my friend's computer. One thing I noticed is that Linux does not use the same types of file systems as those used by Windows (i.e. FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, etc.). So most likely, Windows doesn't treat your hard drive as a formatted drive, since it isn't formatted with a file system supported by Windows.

However, since Windows does realize you have a drive, it will still show up in Device Manager. Essentially, Windows realizes you have a hard drive plugged into the computer, but it just assumes it is a blank, unformatted, unpartitioned drive. Windows will not be able to use the drive until you format it with a Windows file system (which will, of course, remove the Linux file system and OS). So unless you create a partition on the Linux drive with a Windows file system on it, Windows will not be able to use that drive.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

Another thing. If memory serves me correct when dual booting that's what you are doing, Linux needs to have the master boot record. Windows won't know what the hell to do with it if it sees Linux in there. If you are gonna dual boot, I'd have all hdds formated for fat32. You'll be able to access all info on all drives no matter what os you use.

Good luck,

On Linux you use a file system such as ext2, ext3, reiserfs, jfs, xfs, etc. You probably used ext3 as that is the most common file system today.

Linux supports a huge variety of all kinds of file systems.

Windows on the other hand only supports FAT12, FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS.

You can't access your Linux disk from Windows because Windows does not have support for its file system. However there are third-party software which might be able to read the file system you have on your Linux disk.

Unlike NTFS, all the file systems available on Linux are open standards and could easily be implemented in Windows by Microsoft, but then people would be able to access their Linux system from Windows, god forbid!

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png