cwshredder

hazelnut

I personally don't think it's work keeping. Spybot checks for cool web searches, although I don't know if they check for the same ones. :blink:

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

It will only find old malware, however it doesn't exactly consume that much hdd space. Although it's sad that a large security firm like Trend Micro can't keep it updated, but then again they probably want people to buy their commercial anti-spyware application instead but with that said there's always Trend Micro's HouseCall which deals with spyware too and at least it's free.

It will only find old malware, however it doesn't exactly consume that much hdd space. Although it's sad that a large security firm like Trend Micro can't keep it updated, but then again they probably want people to buy their commercial anti-spyware application instead but with that said there's always Trend Micro's HouseCall which deals with spyware too and at least it's free.

Isn't it true that malware that is 1+ years old isn't active anymore anyway? I think Andy, or maybe Tarun told me that...I'm not sure. :P

My point is that if that's true then it isn't even cleaning anything that is still a threat. Is that right?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

My thoughts are that its only useful as a last resort if everything else doesnt work. As a specialty item, it probably works good for that one item, but there are too many other apps out there that cover everything.

In the past, cwshredder saved my butt on my computer. But i havent needed/used it in a long long time and think its kind of yesterdays app.

But like Andavari said, it doesnt take up much space, so i keep it as a just in case kind of thing.

• Moderators

Isn't it true that malware that is 1+ years old isn't active anymore anyway? I think Andy, or maybe Tarun told me that...I'm not sure. :P

My point is that if that's true then it isn't even cleaning anything that is still a threat. Is that right?

Don't know and can't answer that question because I'm not a malware expert, I only scan with the stuff I have and luckily I haven't had one trace of any crap for years - not even tracking cookies.

I had already tried to contact Trend Micro, the owner of the program, a couple of times to ask if they planned to update cwshredder ever again but they never found it useful to react. Now I asked them again to react to this topic. Which they probably won't do :angry: So it seems that they let cwshredder die an ungraceful death.

• Moderators

CWS is pretty much a non issue now a days.

Its all blocked by spywareblaster and most of the domains have been taken down anyway. It seems though that the same folks that were behind CWS could be behind the smitfraud epidemic. Right now the smitfraud stuff is the most rampent along with a few others.

I keep CWShreddar around just in case I encounter a pc that got infected a long time ago.

Ive always found it funny that CWShredder detects CWSMsconfig anytime you use the genuine MSConfig, its been that way for as long as I can remember and its still not fixed. For example run MSConfig and make a change to the startup entries then click apply and exit and it will prompt for a reboot and add this to the run key so that it loads again on reboot.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto

Use CWShredder and it finds CWSMsconfig and deletes the run value and then gives this link for more info :)

http://cwshredder.net/cwshredder/cwschronicles.html#msconfig

Apart from that I agree with RRidgely that CWS isnt active now and they have likely moved onto the more recent infections so CWShredder isnt that useful and is very unlikely to find anything on a infected system (unless you use Msconfig) :D