Office 2007 (non-beta) and Ccleaner ...

RonnyB

I have a question on a microsoft office setup newsgroup, and a an MS MVP has responded when I mentioned that I had used Ccleaner (current build ... v1.35.424 ) ... he said that "Please don't use CCleaner. That thing breaks Office 2007 when you ever try to reinstall."

Question: Is that true ... and if so, when will it be fixed?

Thanks,

-Ron-

• Moderators

I have no idea if CCleaner breaks MS Office 2007, however I'm a firm believer that the cleaning of MS Office should be unchecked in CCleaner and in Disk Cleaner, etc., because both remove settings in programs like Word however removal of settings doesn't denote breakage - more like a huge annoyance to reconfigure to desired settings.

Now one program that will break MS Office faster than anything is RegSeeker if you allow it to clean MS Office!

Im not sure what this guy is onto but Im using CCleaner v1.35 on Vista RTM 6.00 with Office 2007 RTM 12.0.4518. I havent experienced any issue with Office.

Also, I'm on XP sp2 with Office 2007 Beta 12.0.4407, no issues with Ccleaner that I've seen. Though I can tell you beta 1 was really unstable. RTM seems solid especially on Vista.

I have a question on a microsoft office setup newsgroup, and a an MS MVP has responded when I mentioned that I had used Ccleaner (current build ... v1.35.424 ) ... he said that "Please don't use CCleaner. That thing breaks Office 2007 when you ever try to reinstall."

Question: Is that true ... and if so, when will it be fixed?

Thanks,

-Ron-

• 5 months later...

I look after computers for a lingerie company and they have Office 2007 on 2 PCs and 1 lap. Outlook 2007 broke after using CCleaner. But a re-install fixes it.

Outlook 2007 has 2 major optional plugins which change the way the program works.

The first is Business Contact Manager (BCM), which ships free with Office 2007 Small-Business. BCM uses sql-server to share contacts with other computers also running Outlook BCM. It is quite fiddly, and can break the karma of the unprepared user, with some-times niggly bugs. If you get it stabilised, and leave it, it seems to run a bit more smoothly. Installing BCM (which is still in beta I think), makes some major changes to the Outlook facia, (well, a new folder called Business Contacts, and a new menu header with same name). The BCM contact entries have more business-style fields than the regular Outlook "Personal Folder File" (PST). The BCM contacts are stored in an SQL database, so Outlook suddenly uses multiple technologies to store it's data.

The second plug-in to worry about is Microsoft Office Accounting 2007 (MOS), which again is in beta. This program also uses SQL databases. MOS has an option to integrate with Outlook's BCM. The result links MOS financial history records to your customers in BCM. So when viewing business contacts in Outlook, you can click on a new button Financial History, and see what they have bought off you previously. Quite useful, but again, a little tricky for the unprepared, but a geek understanding of Microsoft networking may help get it working.

The problem with CCleaner was that Outlook stopped responding. The PST view came up very slowly, and the BCM view came up not at all. It may be an issue with the SQL side. I believe (hmm) the problem also occurred when the Office section of CCleaner was disabled.

love CCleaner!

james__uk