Auslogics Disk Defrag 1.1

rridgely

• Moderators

I don't know what the advantages of it would be after reading this on the screenshots page of the application website:

AUSLOGICS DISK DEFRAG USES MICROSOFT'S SAFE DEFRAGMENTATION API, AND PROVIDES AN INCREASED DEFRAGMENTATION SPEED AND DETAILED CLUSTER MAP AND DEFRAGMENTATION REPORT.

• Moderators

Defrags quite a bit faster, and I think, more comprehensively. Been using it a couple of weeks.

I'll give it a whirl then since I'm always dealing with fragmentation that's probably above normal as I tend to always work with large sized files.

• Moderators

Alright it's completely better than the default WinXP defrag util and stating it's faster isn't even fair because if I were to give a speed comparison it would go like this:

WinXP defrag speed = A bicycle going through one foot of sticky mud

Auslogics Disk Defrag = The Starship Enterprise at warp speed

• Moderators

Alright it's completely better than the default WinXP defrag util and stating it's faster isn't even fair because if I were to give a speed comparison it would go like this:

:lol:

So you liked it right? And you would use it more or would you rather use something else?

I totally agree with Andavari program is like night and day I will use is as my default at this point till something better at equal size and speed and free comes along.

• Moderators

:lol:

So you liked it right? And you would use it more or would you rather use something else?

I like it, and was actually surprised I did as most third-party defrag apps don't exactly impress me all that much. I'll be using it everytime I need to defrag whilst using my comp. The only time I don't see myself using it would be when I'm ready to shut off my PC, which I'd then instead use the good ole' batch file I have that uses the WinXP defrag util and turns off my PC.

One note, the WinXP defrag util defragments System Volume Information whereas Auslogics Disk Defrag is seemingly ignoring it.

till something better at equal size and speed and free comes along.

I don't see that happening anytime soon since most are bloated and install stuff all over the system, whereas Auslogics Disk Defrag has all files contained in its own program folder and even uses Inno Setup as the installer.

• Moderators

Well I tried this program and I must say it seems impressive.

I haven't defragged my HD in probably 6-7 months and this thing managed to do it in like 15-20 minutes at the most. :blink:

The hard drive I defragged was only 80 gigs but its pretty much full(only 5 gigs free. :D). Anyway if it actually did just as good of a job I'm happy. :P

• Moderators

I haven't defragged my HD in probably 6-7 months

I wish I could tolerate fragmentation for such a long period of time! And it's too bad ProcessIdleTasks just doesn't defrag on its own versus just dealing with Prefetch.

I don't see that happening anytime soon since most are bloated and install stuff all over the system, whereas Auslogics Disk Defrag has all files contained in its own program folder and even uses Inno Setup as the installer.

DirMS-CL ;) (No install and most thorough defrag I've found)

• Moderators

DirMS-CL ;) (No install and most thorough defrag I've found)

I looked at the description of it and had a little giggle when it stated a full thorough defrag could take days. :lol:

Although the explaination of moving all files together, whereas other disk defraggers leave large chunks inbetween them did explain something I had always wondered about all other disk defrag programs.

I looked at the description of it and had a little giggle when it stated a full thorough defrag could take days. :lol:

That is just the 'Compact' function, they recommend against using this now anyway. A regular defrag takes about 20-30 mins on my computer and gives an excellent result.

Speed really shouldn't be the priority factor when it comes to defragging your hard drive. I defrag on a twice-weekly basis, and I do it overnight. I don't know how long it takes, but I do know that there is almost always a noticeable difference in performance (Guild Wars is one of those apps/games that heavily fragments your hard drive).

IPB Image