installing a 2nd hard drive? help

mikeb

Here's the deal, I want to transfer over some files from an old hard drive to my current system. My current drive is sata, and my old drive is IDE. Now, believe it or not, I've done this before, but I swear to you I can't remember how the heck I did it! :rolleyes: The thing about me is if I don't mess with this type of stuff often I plain forget how. doh! Plus I think when I did it I had one cd drive and the one Sata hooked up.

My system has 1 Sata drive, 2 cd drives, and a zip 250 which I can either disconnect or connect the Old hard drive to (as in inline with, whatever the technical term is for shared cable.) What I need to know is what should my jumper settings be on the old HD and the ZIP if I connect it to cable after the ZIP? What would the jumper setting be if the old HD is solo on that cable? Lastly, what would the BIOS settings be changed to?

Thanks

Here's the deal, I want to transfer over some files from an old hard drive to my current system. My current drive is sata, and my old drive is IDE. Now, believe it or not, I've done this before, but I swear to you I can't remember how the heck I did it! :rolleyes: The thing about me is if I don't mess with this type of stuff often I plain forget how. doh! Plus I think when I did it I had one cd drive and the one Sata hooked up.

My system has 1 Sata drive, 2 cd drives, and a zip 250 which I can either disconnect or connect the Old hard drive to (as in inline with, whatever the technical term is for shared cable.) What I need to know is what should my jumper settings be on the old HD and the ZIP if I connect it to cable after the ZIP? What would the jumper setting be if the old HD is solo on that cable? Lastly, what would the BIOS settings be changed to?

If I understand you right. You are referring to "CABLE SELECT" Don't worry about that. All you need to do is designate one drtve as the master and the other one as the slave.

Jumpers Settings this explains what jumpers are and what there purpose is for.

Cable Select this explains what cable select is.

If I understand you right. You are referring to "CABLE SELECT" Don't worry about that. All you need to do is designate one drtve as the master and the other one as the slave.

EDIT:

Just mentioning that I got it to work, but I was having a problem getting the drive to show up in "my computer," but it WAS showing up in the Device Manager. I googled and saw a suggestion to "RUN type: diskmgmt.msc" and see if the drive shows up there. It did but it wasn't "online" so I changed that. And then I performed a quick format and it showed up in the list.

Acutally, I'd also confused my initial purpose stated to add this second drive. I didn't need to transfer files FROM it I needed to transfer files TO it, but the drive was in a pc I had installed Suse 10. So I went ahead and slated the drive in the old pc, removed it, installed in my new system, set the jumper to slave and did the diskmgmt deal. All appears good now.

Hope this helps someone out...

Thanks