So who can figure this one out? AVG A-S tames memory usage!

slowday444

So, for no particular reason, other than I hadn't scanned with it for a couple of weeks, during breakfast this morning I run the complete scan. As is always the case with my apps, I was perfectly clean! Well ever since I had some issues recently with RAM usage, I've been monitoring my process memory usage. On average, with AVG Ant-Spyware 7.5, Comodo Firewall, NOD32, PopTray, Spy Sweeper, WeatherPulse and Windows Defender all monitoring or enabled, my RAM usage averages around 50% of 1G RAM. I noticed after that scan that it dropped to around 30%. It stayed there until I shutdown (about 1hr). So when I got home from work today, I anxiously booted and usage was pretty much normal again. So about 5:00PM I scanned again and it is after 9:00PM now and usage is still around 30%. My wife was copying numerous recipes and I installed Media 11 and upgraded ie Spell (trust me I'm a Ff guy!) so it's not like my pc has been just idling away here! So what is AVG doing?

• Moderators

If you have Spysweeper uninstall defender. There is no reason to run two programs for the same thing.(spy sweeper is way better then defender anyway)

I'm not exactly sure what your saying.

You run AVG antispyware and once the scan is over your computer is much slower? Is that what your saying?

I think he's saying every time he does a scan with AVG, his mem usage drops by 20%. That's a complete mystery to me though. Makes me want to keep track of my mem usage before and after scans. :huh:

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

Back when Ewido 3.5 was released as a beta a few people over at Wilders complained that after a memory scan all running process had their memory increased quite a bit and stayed at that level.

Ewido introduced a memory dump so as to drop all unneeded mem after a scan.

Do a scan with the new Ewido (AVG) and watch the mem usage with taskmanager which will rise dramatically whilst the mem scan is running then will drop to the bare mininum required.

Or that's how the older version used to work.Not sure about the newer version as I haven't used it as yet.

See these older post numbers 215 - 216 at this Wilders link

• Moderators

I think you're noticing your memory/resources seeming a bit snappier because it's flushing allot of the other stuff out of the memory when it scans it. Ad-Aware has the same effect on my PC because after running a quick scan it seems as if I just started my computer when in fact it could have been on for hours or days.

Thanks for the comments! So I left my pc on all night and this morning RAM usage is still only 34%. Tested my download and upload speeds at three different sites and I was over 4.8mbps download and 500kbps upload at all three which is normal. The interesting thing is that it lowers usage across the board, e.g. explorer.exe from 20+k to around 10 or WeatherPulse 19k to 7k. The big drop seems to be with Spy Sweeper: both SpySweeperUI.exe and SpySweeper.exe from the high 20s for each process to like 3 or 4k!

Downloaded AVG AS and run the memory scan.

This is memory usage after a reboot of my running apps and services.

And after running the memory scan.As can be seen there is a dramatic flushing of memory from all running processess.

Downloaded AVG AS and run the memory scan.

This is memory usage after a reboot of my running apps and services.

And after running the memory scan.As can be seen there is a dramatic flushing of memory from all running processess.

Thanks Humpty! I did a Fast System Scan and it had the same (positive in my opinion) results! My next experiment is going to be just to scan memory. Even the Fast Scan lasted quite awhile, so if the mem scan is fairly fast and delivers the same results I may start doing that routinely.

• Moderators

My next experiment is going to be just to scan memory. Even the Fast Scan lasted quite awhile, so if the mem scan is fairly fast and delivers the same results I may start doing that routinely.

You could create a profile in AVG AS to just scan the memory if you wanted, that way you can use it as a "memory/resources washer."