Changing Hard drive cases

Question for you all.

I have an external harddrive which is in a case that is continuously on. In other words the case that the harddrive is in does not (unlike my other external drive) have an on/off switch. So my question is, could i unplug the harddrive from the computer, and put it into a new case that turns on/off, without losing the data on the drive? It holds all my music and personal files, and would like to be able to turn it on and off based on my need.

Thanks for the reply everyone. :)

Hmm... your wanting to Remove the drive and replace the case itself? i don't even think that is possible considering it's External.

I could be wrong cause I've never touched a External Drive before other then a CD/RW drive.

Do you have a problem when unplugging the drive? Like.. are you afraid that the drive will for some reason crash or something?

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

no, i just want to be able to shut it off so it can stay cool, no one can access it from then net, etc. its easy to take out of the case (i bought the harddrive and case separate and put them together). i just want to know if i will lose the data. not sure if this is a dumb question......

It's no dumb question. Hmm... you could try to search on Google or Newegg.com and try to find a case that can fit your Hard Drive.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• Moderators

I have an external hardrive that I just plug into a usb port to put info onto it and then I unplug it. It has no on/off switch, just me pulling the usb connection out! I've never lost anything yet. Don't know if this will help you out.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I think the ones WITHOUT a switch were designed alittle different as in shutting down. I think the Hard Drive is aware of itself and telling it not to mess up lol :)

Question for you all.

I have an external harddrive which is in a case that is continuously on. In other words the case that the harddrive is in does not (unlike my other external drive) have an on/off switch. So my question is, could i unplug the harddrive from the computer, and put it into a new case that turns on/off, without losing the data on the drive? It holds all my music and personal files, and would like to be able to turn it on and off based on my need.

Thanks for the reply everyone. :)

Hey Lordoftheweb,

So long as the hard drive is not in the middle of reading/writing, you can diconnect the power from it with no worries. As a precaution, it doesn't hurt to click the little green arrow icon next to your time in the taskbar, and select the drive from the list that appears. It should give you a message saying it is safe to remove the drive. That way you can be assured Windows isn't trying to access the drive when you remove the power.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

OK thats cool. But can I take the harddrive physically out of its enclosure and put it into another case without losing data? For instance, could i switch my two external harddrives into eachothers cases?

thanks for the help by the way guys. :)

OK thats cool. But can I take the harddrive physically out of its enclosure and put it into another case without losing data? For instance, could i switch my two external harddrives into eachothers cases?

Indeed.

The data stored on a hard drive does not require electric current to be retained. You could disconnect a hard drive from any power source and set it up on a shelf for years, and if you were to plug it into a computer later, all of the data would still be there.

And so long as both hard drives use the same interface (PATA, SATA, SCSI, etc.), they will be compatible, and switching them around won't make them lose their data. I know some hard drive enclosures have a limit for how large of a hard drive they support (I have an enclosure which only supports 400 GB hard drives and smaller), so make sure you check out your enclosure's documentation to make sure it will support your new hard drive.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!