RegSeeker customized exclude.ini file

Andavari

• Moderators

Andavari's Customized RegSeeker Exclude.ini File

to better protect the Windows registry

Updated: Thursday, September 11, 2008 @ 8:10 PM CST

This update includes:

No new exclusions were added! I just updated the installation information for newer versions of RegSeeker that now use the exclude.lst file, and how to have RegSeeker import the customized exclude.ini file. This was done to remove any confusion of how to install the customized exclusions, plus it means no more copying and pasting.

If you already have the last exclude.ini file from February 4, 2007 you don't need to download this update as it offers nothing new other than what has been mentioned above in "This update includes."

Note: This is the last an final update from me, anyone whom wishes to continue this is more than welcomed to do so!

All included files were scanned for malware before being uploaded to the Piriform Forums using up-to-date anti-malware software.

What it does:

This customized exclude file covers 804 more exclusions than that of the default one included with RegSeeker. The goal is to better protect the Windows registry and some applications from accidental registry cleaning which can result into Windows and program errors, the re-installation of programs, or worse yet Windows.

Change Log (truncated):

February 4, 2007:* Added: Paint.NET (Stops RegSeeker from removing last opened directories, etc)* Added: PC Tools Firewall (Stops RegSeeker from removing AppRules, even ifthey're invalid. This was necessary since some applications use a temporary filefor updating purposes such as SUPERAntiSpyware's ssupdate.exe)

View the included readme.txt file for installation instructions with your already installed exclude.lst file.

Main Download Sites:

If you aren't a registered Piriform Forums member the two download locations listed below are for you.

* RapidShare: http://rapidshare.com/files/144535801/exclude.zip

* MediaFire: http://www.mediafire.com/?5qhwnygwfmr

Alternate Download:

The exclude.zip download located below is from the Piriform Forums and requires forum membership/registration, and you must be logged into your member account in order to download the file.

exclude.zip

exclude.zip

• Moderators

Any differences between this one and the one you posted in the RegSeeker thread?

Yes it's different! I added:

* New: Microsoft Windows Defender (stops RegSeeker from cleaning its Real-Time Protection)

* Updated with new additions: Windows User Shell Folders (stops RegSeeker from cleaning it)

Yes it's different! I added:

* New: Microsoft Windows Defender (stops RegSeeker from cleaning its Real-Time Protection)

* Updated with new additions: Windows User Shell Folders (stops RegSeeker from cleaning it)

Thanks Andavari, I shall replace it with this one. Extremely useful and very much appreciated :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Andavari,

Thanks! Just downloaded the exclude.ini zip file.I have pasted the original exclude.ini into this customised exclude.ini file by copy paste method right at the end and moved it into my RegSeeker folder! I have removed the original exlude.ini to a backup folder! Have i done it the correct way? Seems to work coz this time RegSeeker 1.52 has picked up far fewer entries marked for deletion! :)

• Moderators

Hi Andavari,

Thanks! Just downloaded the exclude.ini zip file.I have pasted the original exclude.ini into this customised exclude.ini file by copy paste method right at the end and moved it into my RegSeeker folder! I have removed the original exlude.ini to a backup folder! Have i done it the correct way? Seems to work coz this time RegSeeker 1.52 has picked up far fewer entries marked for deletion! :)

It's fine you can move it to a different dir like the backup dir, etc. The only reason I suggested backing up the original (without really giving an explanation as to why) is in the case someone has something they uninstalled which is protected in the customized exclude.ini file for which they could restore the original which would list unprotected registry keys.

• 1 month later...

Andavari, would you mind posting to this thread when you update so we know its been updated - when you come into the software section of the forum it only shows this thread as being updated in November. I really appreciate this exclude file but have only just noticed its been updated six or seven since I last downloaded it. Thanks.

• Moderators

Sounds feasible to apply a new post for the updates.

However I don't know how much longer I'm going to do the exclude.ini file. It's became a bore, and doesn't really involve any so-called knowledge to take an educated guess on what shouldn't really be removed.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont trust Reg cleaners at all, nor do I use them because it seems like once I clean out my registry, the system runs faster sure, but sooner or later I always begin to have problems with it. So now I dont use them period, I have learned that the registry is not something to be messed with.

• Moderators

At some point registry cleaning is an actual necessity, for instance; an app can be updated and won't work at all due to outdated registry data from an old version. Now in that instance lets say it's a software that has an incident call to tech support where they charge something like $39.95 to remedy the problem via the telephone when all that was needed was to run a freeware registry cleaner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

News: I no longer use RegSeeker (actually I'm down to just using CCleaner and EasyCleaner), therefore the last uploaded update is the very last one from me!

There's no need in trying to appeal to me to continue, so don't. ;)

Anyone whom wishes to continue the RegSeeker customized exclude.ini file is by all means welcomed to do so.

• Moderators
@ Andavari: is there a particular reason you stopped using RegSeeker?

Yes. I have better things to do than track down every so-called "invalid" reference it finds which has turned into a very unappealing chore, especially when much of the stuff found wasn't even invalid to begin with so it was a waste of time, thus the bore compliment I made several posts up from this one.

Plus the progress is rather slow in only finding stuff in my registry - when such a task needs to be done by a group/community of people whom could submit exclusions into a sort of database to cover more software titles, etc.

Although it seems the customized exclude.ini file is a tidbit more popular than I could have imagined as a Google search turned up multiple pages it's mentioned in, and one person surprisingly stated it made RegSeeker 10x safer to use, wow. Anyways I just hope the developer of the program takes charge in making it even at least 20x safer because with the default exclude.ini it's dangerous especially if people delete everything it lists.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I would like to thank you for making our Internet usage safer.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user