Microsoft Sues Unknown Hacker

Mike Rochip

SAN FRANCISCO, Sept 27 (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. has sued an anonymous computer hacker whose free program allows users to copy digital movies and songs by bypassing a software protection built into the company's Media player.

The world's biggest software maker charges the hacker known as "Viodentia" has illegally obtained propriety source code to produce the program called FairUse4WM, sparking fears it could enable consumers to illegally copy digital content.

Article

I'm guessing that by filing the lawsuit M$ can now try to get a court order to try to have him identified through his ISP.

I'm not one who usually takes the side of a hacker but I think Fair Use is a valid point and you should be able to make at least one copy for a backup.

Yes, that is exactly what they are doing. They are making a "John Doe" file suit, so they can get a court order and stuff.

They also are accusing him of stealing source code and stuff, which he have denied he ever done.

I don't think they should sue him. If they want something done, they should patch their mistake. BTW, DRM sucks and WMV is gay!

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Funny, how Microsoft patched the DRM issue in 3 days when it was possible to circumvent it. But when there was a critical bug that could lead to data corruption so you loose your file, it didn't get patched until the "Patch Tuesday", a month later.

http://defectivebydesign.org/

riaa.gif

terroristmp3.gif

riaaiswatchingyou.jpg

"If consumers even know there's a DRM, what it is, and how it works, we've already failed" - Disney Executive.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png