CCleaner Community Forums
TheFiresInTheSky

best wireless router

soon we'll be moving.

ive learned that linksys routers dont work that far away, nor are they fast.

netgear routers (wirelessly) are faster than with an ethernet cable even.

which would be good for our house, 2 stories+basement?

I have the new Netgear RangeMax *240 Wireless/Cable Router and it works like a charm :)

Well, for me it works great. The Router is actually in the next room which is my brothers and the signal is having to go through a wall. The walls in the house aren't that thick though.

Linksys WRT54G and WRT54GS seems to be pretty popular.

If you have range problems in your own house with any major brand of wireless access point, it's probably due to interference. 2.4 GHz cordless phones are the worst offenders but other devices could contribute.

I have a US Robotics one level down and at the other end of the house, and get a 83 - 92% signal. Also, I can easily connect to Linksys and D-Link units in other houses in my neighbourhood (silly people who don't activate any security). All of these are B-G type ... the new N type are supposed to have greater range.

forgot to add, we had that router but the wireless range sucked!

With some routers they have an option to add an external antenna. Like mine, I use a WRT54GC. At this point in time my connect spans about 20 feet. Personally the best is WRT54G or GS, why? I replace the firmware in there with a DDR-WART. I won't suggest this to amatuers. You can brick your router. Yes, even I have bricked a few. That's if you have the money to blow.

Good Luck,

I've had two routers. My first was a linksys wrt54g and I loved it, but it got struck by lighting about two months ago.(I unplugged everything else but forgot the router. <_< ) I needed something fast and I didn't want to spend a lot of money so I bought a belkin one on sale at bestbuy and its OK. The wireless range is nowhere near as good as the linksys one but I only paid half as much for it.

its possible to use 2 routers at once, right?

just have the second one where the PC would plug into the first router?

sounds easy enough, ill try that and get back to ya guys.

thanks for all the suggestions!

Has Netgear actually started to make decent routers? I have an older Netgear and it has always been crap.