Custom PC

par0x

Yes, that is okay and motherboard has integrated graphics chipset, so if you don't play advanced games much, then you don't need buy a graphics card. But you need to buy a sound card and network card.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Yes, a DVD works. Some DVD are SATA (Serial ATA), most are good old fashioned PATA (Parallel ATA).

Both should work.

DVD works on all computers, the motherboard doesn't need support anything special.

DVD burners are cheap nowadays.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

Wow, I just got done figuring out my total my mt PC that I'll be putting together. A total of $982.85! Not bad but here are my parts... (That's good right?)

Case

Motherboard

CPU

Hard Drive

Combo Drive

LCD Moniter

IDE Cable

Wireless PCI Adpater

Graphics Card

Speaker system

RAM

Sound Card

CPU Cooler

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

New_Age, the Pentium 4 sucks. It is built on the crappy Netburst architecture. It provides poor performance, generates massive amount of heat, and needs hell of a cooling, which often results in a noisy computer.

You choose a PATA harddisk and PATA IDE cable, instead of go with SATA (Serial ATA). PATA is getting phased out in favor for SATA which provides higher performance and got slimmer cables which reduces clutter and is good for the airflow.

Your motherboard is old tech, it doesn't have PCI-Express which pretty much all of todays motherboards got. Your graphics card is AGP.

The motherboard NIC is only 10/100, most nowadays are gigabit.

The LCD monitor qualifies to TCO '99, latest is TCO '03. It's response time is 8 ms, it is good enough for use application software, but if you do games, you might want to check into one that can handle 2 ms.

Pretty cool that the soundcard comes with Audacity, which is open source, go Diamond! :)

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

Ok, I'll go back and look at the CPU's and the Motherboard. Plus for a Graphics card.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

Ok, changed mostly everything. I'm not into games all that much so...

It's total is $807.74

Case

Motherboard

CPU

RAM

Sound Card

Graphics Card

LCD Monitor

Hard Drive

CD/DVD Drive

New_Age

Why do buy a new computer?

The computer you have in signature is good enough, and by the components you choose, I wouldn't consider it worth to buy a new one, if you're looking to replace your computer. But maybe you just want an additional computer for some reason?

The monitor is 8ms, this shouldn't be any problem unless you play games (esp first-person shooters).

The motherboard is 100/100 ethernet, this shouldn't be a problem, worth to note is that most motherboards nowadays come with gigabit ethernet.

The harddisk is SATA-300, but this one is 8 mb cache, the one you picked before was 16 mb.

Also, the link to the CPU points to the motherboard.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

Well, with my PC now I'm abit upset. My Case is good but when I put my Motherboard in side it did go in but the Wireless Adpater, Graphics Card didn't seem to go down all the way into the slots which really pissed me off. I just wanna start fresh and all. I'm be giving this computer to my GF so... yeah.

Note: I had to cut off the ends of the metal for the Video Card and Wireless adpater to fit in.

2nd note: I went to Newegg and setted up a good deal better then what I got with TigerDirect. I'll post the stuff I'm going to buy soon.

Ok, heres what I got out of Newegg.

Case

Motherboard

CPU

RAM

Sound Card

Graphics Card

Hard Drive

Speaker System

LCD Monitor

CD/DVD Combo Drive

Some things to note. Just pointing out stuff.

The socket for the motherboard and CPU is socket 939. The latest is socket AM2, however I think DDR2 memory is needed for that.

The memory is DDR, the latest is DDR2, though it might be more expensive, don't know.

The soundcard is an SB Audigy, it is 2 generations old or so, I think. There was Audigy then Audigy 2 then X-Fi. None the less, it probably is a good card.

As for the graphics card, I would personally go with a nVidia, because ATI are powerhungry monsters and big heat generators, I think. nVidia probably is too, heh. :P

The graphics card you selected has a fan, most graphics cards today unfortunately have a fan, not all though. Nvidia has better graphics drivers for Linux than ATI.

As for the monitor, it is 8ms, shouldn't be a problem though unless you play FPS games. The review on the site you mentioned, said the quality wasn't all that great using an analog connection, so be sure to connect it to the graphics card via DVI.

The hard disk has 8 mb cache, WD has models with 16 mb cache too. I am not sure of the price difference or performance difference, just pointing that out. Also Western Digital SE disk is the disk that produces the least noise on the market, and is also one of the best in terms of power consumption.

As for the DVD, Lite-On have a good reputation of having cheap drives that are of quality up to par with Plextor. Good choice.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

Thx for the comment on the CD/DVD Combo Drive :)

I'm just looking into updating my computer to run Vista at a good state. I should be good but I might buy more RAM after I see how Vista runs when I get ahold of it B)

Ok, so I changed my Hard Drive. Not bad price...

HDD change!

I would like to know if all will work out as far as... will my motherboard fit into my case. Will the CPU and Motherboard work together.

The motherboard is a mini-ATX with socket 939.

The processor is a socket 939 so it fits into the motherboard.

The case is an ATX case, so mini-ATX fits into it.

The HDD is a Seagate. Seagate is the only harddisk manufacturer with a warranty of 5 years, the other have less, usually 2-3.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

Thx, I needed the advice.