No sound

I have a toshiba tablet which was working just fine & suddenly - no sound - right while I was using it. I was switching back & forth between recording some things & listening to some online videos - so I'm concerned that one of the different sound-related programs did something/changed a setting. Now I'm in a world of silence. I have a SoundMax sound card. When I check it out using the audio options in the control panel, it says it's enabled & functioning properly... NOT! If anyone has some great ideas they are willing to write out - please do!

i have a GREAT idea of how to fix it.

http://forum.ccleaner.com/index.php?showtopic=6607

thanks mike for that webpage, its not uploading on any computer here so im not sure about it.

just leave it up for a couple days so i can get it when i get back on my computer.

thanks.

man..ive tried the site 'the fires in the sky' put up....no effect.um..in my control panel under sound and audio devices, i cant shift the position of the slider as everything is grayed out!?at the top its says 'no audio device'.i hope this evidence helps.in 'services.msc' the windows audio is started and its startup type is automatic so i know tats not the problem.any suggestions?

Have you checked Device Manager to make sure it's enabled and that there are no conflicts or other issues?

You can open Device Manager by double clicking on the System Icon in the Control Panel and then clicking the Hardware Tab and then on the Device Manager button. Make sure the SoundMax card is listed in the Sound, video and game controllers section. If it is listed but there's a problem you will see a yellow exclamation mark. You can right click on it for more info about the problem. A red X means it either disabled or it's not working. If it's disabled you can right click on it and then click Enable.

If you see any exclamation marks or red Xs anywhere else check out those ones also.

@ Mike Rochip'on the Device Manager button. Make sure the SoundMax card is listed in the Sound, video and game controllers section. If it is listed but there's a problem you will see a yellow exclamation mark.'

tats the thing...when i go into device manager,there is no soundmax icon at all!!tats the surprising part.however in the taskbar the icon is there except it has a red cross around it sayin 'no soundmax audio present.you cannot use soundmax control panel'

I forgot to ask if you had Windows XP or not and if the card is built into the motherboard. Looks like it's a built in one from what I read.

It looks like a whole bunch of people have had this happen and some of them said they are getting desperate too, lol. Apparently what happened is the drivers for the SoundMax card got corrupted or disabled somehow.

It looks like this is the best thing to do. If you know the serial and/or the model number of your PC you can go to the Packard Bell website and enter them into their Support Request information box. Then it will bring up all the available help and support information that is available for your model including any software that they can provide. If you don't have either the model or the serial number they have a guide that will try to identify it for you. I went through it [i just put in random answers since I don't have a Packard Bell] and the good news is they do have audio drivers that can be downloaded. If for some reason PB doesn't have one for your specific PC there's a website called DriverGuide that might have one that will work. Many are for specific SoundMax models but it looks like they also have a few that should work on more than one model by detecting the driver you need and then installing it. Sometimes that works but sometimes the audio ends up sounding crappy or some of the features don't work as well as they did before. Their drivers are free if you register on their site.

So here's what I would try in this order:

Analog Devices makes SoundMax cards and they have a good FAQ on their website you might want to read. It explains how to fix different issues including bad or missing drivers but they do not supply drivers to anyone except manufacturers. They explain why in the FAQ.

Packard Bell has an excellent Customer Support website and they will probably have the driver you need.

DriverGuide may have it if PB doesn't. Check for drivers under both Analog Devices and SoundMax. When you put in the info you may have to scroll down a ways and then look for the Select or Selected button with the arrows > > in the lower right side of the info box. Took me a little while to find them.

Hope that gets you fixed up. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions :) .

@mike Rochip tnxs..actually i just got it fixed..i dont know how, funny story though.. if u guys got the time here it goes, oh btw this is not spam coz its actually a problem with my com..ok here goes, before i went to school in the morning i left my com on and it was downloading xp service pack 2. after i came back i installed it and restarted my com and..it gets stuck.big time.it gets hung while loading, u know,the xp bar has this 3 dots tat slide across ur screen?it gets stuck so..i had to do another system recovery..WT*?! again?ive already done like 3 recoveries so i was wonderin wat the heck man..couldnt be bothered so i just did another recovery and ..ohh behold!the sweet sound of a windows startup!!um?wat in the world happenend?why did the com hang in the 1st place?

anyway,Mike tnxs for the help..not only u,all u guys tnxs for the help i really appreciate it!

Hey that's great that you got it going again! Maybe SP2 had the drivers it needed or just fixed whatever caused the problem. I have an older PC and had lots of problems with it locking up, not booting, and stuff like that. Once SP2 came it out it's been like a whole different computer.

One thing you might want to do is make a copy of the driver for SoundMax and keep it on a CD or on the hard drive in case it ever happens again. From what I read that seems to be a common issue with SoundMax.

Besides, if your PC is anything like mine, if you make a backup copy you will never need it but if you don't it will happen again, lol. Well take it easy and and come around the forums once in a while, this is a good one.

You could copy the one on your on your PC. Unfortunatetly, I don't know exactly how to do it. It's usually a small 'dll' file or files if I remember right. It's easy to copy but I don't know how to figure out which one it is on your PC. Someone like DjLizard or Tarun would probably know the best way to do it. You could put a post in the Hardware or the Software thread and I'm sure somebody can tell you how to check it out.

You could also try looking at the Packard Bell site by putting in the Model and\or the Serial Number of your PC and it should give you the name. If their driver is a newer one or has revisions I don't know if it would have the same name as yours. If I figure it out I'll let you know.