No sound

Not sure if this is software or hardware, but i no longer have sound on my comp. the speakers crackle when they are turned on, but no sound. i turned everything off and pulled out both the graphics card and the sound card and put them back in. no change. this all after using easycleaner :(. also, my graphics are a bit slow here and there when viewing videos/movies. any suggestions? im gone to work for 12 hours so ill check this when i get back and if there are lots of ideas, man would i be happy! i can always get a new sound card if this one is fried as they are pretty cheap, but id rather not have to make the trip. thanks everyone! :)

• Moderators

Sorry to read about your problems.

Heres a few ideas to be going on with until others give you some more.

First, the obvious, you have checked the volume control by right-clicking the taskbar icon and opening the it and seeing it is not muted. (sorry but I had to ask!)

Just so you know you are not alone. http://www.computing.net/windowsme/wwwboard/forum/46305.html

Microsoft info,

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q307918

A kelly's corner fix,

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (number 371)

System restore?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

ok, the service in appears to be "started" which is correct. and i cant go back in system restore (for whatever reason) past the other day when i put in easy cleaner. i tried that, but it wont let me. hmmmmmm. as for the taskbar icon, i dont have one! where do i get one? help! i have no tunes! and i cant read lips while watching movies!

ok, the service in appears to be "started" which is correct. and i cant go back in system restore (for whatever reason) past the other day when i put in easy cleaner. i tried that, but it wont let me. hmmmmmm. as for the taskbar icon, i dont have one! where do i get one? help! i have no tunes! and i cant read lips while watching movies!

not everyone has the sounds control / volume control icon in their taskbar. Go to Control Panel and click on Sounds and Audio Devices - there is an option to place an icon in the task bar (or conversely, to remove it). Check that "mute" isn't checked. Click on Advanced on Device Volume (where those check options are) - is the volume turned up?

What audio device does your computer use? The name should be displayed when you first click on Sounds and Audio Devices (at the top of the box that apears, it's usually next to a picture of a loudspeaker).

Check those and get back to us...

hi robbie. thanks for the help. i followed your instructions. ok i did that and the "line in" was on mute. so i unchecked it, and tried some music, but it still doesnt work.

heres something weird. i put the drivers disk into the comp and tried to see if i could reinstall the drivers, and i got a message saying i dont have their kind of chip. it is definately the right cd to the right card.

my card is a Soundmax digital audio. it wasnt very expensive (about 50 canadian if i remember right).

its in a pci slot. any other suggestions? i followed that first link that hazel gave me and rebooted the computer and windows said that i had reinstalled everything properly. hmmmmm. help! :)

hi robbie. thanks for the help. i followed your instructions. ok i did that and the "line in" was on mute. so i unchecked it, and tried some music, but it still doesnt work.

heres something weird. i put the drivers disk into the comp and tried to see if i could reinstall the drivers, and i got a message saying i dont have their kind of chip. it is definately the right cd to the right card.

my card is a Soundmax digital audio. it wasnt very expensive (about 50 canadian if i remember right).

its in a pci slot. any other suggestions? i followed that first link that hazel gave me and rebooted the computer and windows said that i had reinstalled everything properly. hmmmmm. help! :)

sorry, I was hoping you were gonna come back and say you had the same audio drivers as me (Realtek AC97) as I could have directed you to some diagnostic tests but I don't know Soundmax.

All I can suggest is going back to the Sounds and Audio Devices option in Control Panel, then try the following:

on the top tabs, choose Audio - what is the Default Device for Sound Playback? Is one listed?

If so: next go to the hardware tab, find that device in the list, click on it. is it showing as working properly?

Report back asap, and I might be able to guide you to a next stage...

(it's 8.30pm here in the UK and I'll be logging off in about half an hour, I have to catch up on some TV!)

the default device (and only device) listed is:

SoundMax digital audio.

ok, followed your advice, and it shows that the device is working properly.

It says:

Manufacturer: Analog Devices, Inc.

Device Status: This device is working properly.

If I dont get back to you for a bit its because i have to go to work in half an hour, and i dont get off for 12 hours-or hopefully longer because it is a statutory holiday here tomorrow, which means i get paid double time and a quarter! :) ill work right to tuesday if i get something big! thanks for help thus far!

the default device (and only device) listed is:

SoundMax digital audio.

ok, followed your advice, and it shows that the device is working properly.

It says:

Manufacturer: Analog Devices, Inc.

Device Status: This device is working properly.

If I dont get back to you for a bit its because i have to go to work in half an hour, and i dont get off for 12 hours-or hopefully longer because it is a statutory holiday here tomorrow, which means i get paid double time and a quarter! :) ill work right to tuesday if i get something big! thanks for help thus far!

hmmm... all I can suggest now is the troubleshooting option on that Hardware tab page. Sorry I can't help any further - hope you get it fixed.

ok. and to add to the mix here is something strange. i plugged in my headphones that run directly from the computer, and they have sound! arrrghghghghgh! what am i doing wrong? but they dont work when i plug them into my logitech speakers. hmmmmmm. so this makes me think it has something to do with the speakers, not the sound card or the drivers. the speakers are fairly new, and i have never had a problem with them. i will have to see if there are are drivers for the speakers (is that a dumb thought?). also, i changed the pci slot for the sound card, and it did nothing. arrrghghghgh! i need a new computer to use while i dink around with this one!

• Moderators

Rather any of this works or not I don't know:

• If they're USB speakers unplug them from the back of the computer, and then plug them back into the USB port again.
  • Also if the speakers are powered via an electrical outlet unplug them from it, and plug them back in. The only reason I suggest this is because on my first PC the USB speakers wouldn't work after a power outage or power spike and would have to be unplugged from the electrical outlet and plugged back in to work.
  • Also if the speakers run from a sub-woofer and if the sub-woofer has a power on switch turning it off then on may help.
  • If it isn't the speakers fault check your Windows sound settings via Start->Run->sndvol32 to load Play Control and make sure nothing is muted, it wouldn't hurt while inside Play Control to also click Options->Properties and make sure the correct sound device is selected.

Hope you can fix it...!

Thanks for the replies guys. i reinstalled the card and software and did everything you mentioned andavari-no fix.

the speakers are logitech 5.1, not expensive (around a hundred bucks) and have never had a problem with them before. hmmmmm.

im gonna try to hitch up my old speakers and see if this fixes anything. ill post back later today. :)

OMG! If i ever meet Hazelnut, she will get a HUGE hug from me!

Hazelnut sent me a link in a PM of a forum conversation that advised to check which driver to switch from-meaning your computer may be set on the default driver when it should be on your sound card. I tried it and it worked!

Thanks so much everyone for trying to help me, and thanks a bunch Hazelnut! That totally made my day!

:):):):):)

All fixed brother! And thanks everyone! listening to groovy tunes right now! Thats why I love this site-everyone lends a hand till the problem gets fixed! Good times!

Glad to see you got the problem fixed. I'm puzzled how I overlooked your post above mine, it sayd

s you fixed the problem yet I seem to have completely overlooked it!

hey Robbie and all...im new, its my 1st post.im desperate for a result on my com so i registered,my problem is the same as lord of the web's except my only prob is tat no sound is being emited from my com.ive tried everytin and nothing seems to work.im using a packard bell and my sound system is a soundmax audioive trid system recovery 3 times...yes 3 times and notin.can some1 plz help me..any ques about my com's specs plz ask coz im desplerate!!??

sure bwarner.my com is a packard bell.i had to do a system recovery coz there was sometin severly wrong with my com.after recovering,i found tat my soundmax audio was not working at all?!i did the systemrecovery repeatedly another 2 times but to no avail.now im on this forum desperatly seeking help coz its been 4 days since ive heards any form of music...its driving me insane!!!!

bwarner,wats up with ur com?wat model is it?