STOPzilla....

Darkman

Just wondering..

in one of the ads here at forum ( there on top :) ), often adveritised is STOPzilla:

" Popup Blocker Download

CNet Editor's Choice Award Winner! Also Removes Spyware. Download now www.STOPzilla.com "

Just wondering if it's any good, if someone tried it etc?

I installed it yesturday just to try it.. but uninstalled it later, as my IE got messed up somewhat somehow.. (not even sure any longer if it was STOPzilla related or not .. but for now i uninstalled STOPzilla)

In any case - Anyone tried it? .. And if so - What do you think about it?

Any other comments are welcomed :P

I guess STOPzilla is quite a controvercial S/W...

Most people do NOT like it.. but there are few that say it is OK...

Here.. Google's search found me a link (among others) with many comments (on the bottom there) about STOPzilla...

My comment is somewhere there also now.. lol, at the end somewhere :)

Here is the link:

http://mcpmag.com/reviews/products/article...ditorialsID=472

• Moderators

There are much much better programs around, especially if your going to pay for them. I have heard a lot of negative things about it but I haven't ever tried it.

I would highly suggest you get ewido and/or superantispyware instead.

http://www.ewido.net/en/

http://www.superantispyware.com/

Both offer the scanner and updates for free you just don't get the active guard. These programs at the moment seem to be the kings of antispyware. :D

STAY AWAY FROM STOPZILLA!

its a bad site.

ive had many problems, it screwed up my computer, and same thing happened with 4 other people that i know.

nobody has ever recommended that site to me.

this site is questionable, use something like what rridgely suggested that we know are safe to use.

That program is spyware...

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• Moderators

http://www.download.com/Stopzilla/3640-778...html?tag=tab_ur

all i see there is bad comments

Very true but since download.com has become so popular I have noticed that the brightest of people are not the only ones using it. I have found most of the reviews there pretty much worthless. FileForum and Snapfiles are a lot better in comparison. Softpedia is ok too but I don't like the interface so I use the other two more.

I'm not saying they are wrong on this topic though, I have seen a lot of bad comments about stopzilla.

Looking back I think I did use this program a long time ago but it was just a pop up blocker and not an antispyware. Maybe that was something else though.

When I used it back in the day it was considered spyware in my book. I hated it. Caused slow down.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

To me... nope!

• Moderators

The thing with superantispyware is that its removing infections that are very hard to get completely clean. Things like winfixer, vundo, smitfraud, spyaxe, and a few others. Those are infections that hijackthis sites have been using special removers for and now this program is cleaning them up. It even got listed on spyware warriors main page of recommended apps to run if your infected.

http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-features.htm

Ewido is still my favorite out of all of them. :)

I think Ewido has some... problems removing some Spyware Don't you think?

*Off-Topic... Upon my Hijack post can you give me the low down on what's really on there that is causing the pop-ups? Please... I'm heading over there tomorrow and I want their computer fixed tomorrow. Post in my Hijack Thread

• Moderators

Ewido has never not removed something it detected in my experiences with it. What kind of issues have you had with it? The only complaint I have(small) is the new interface. I liked the old green one better but it doesn't really matter all that much.

Well, on my GF's parents computer it keeps finding the same stuff it seems.

• Moderators

Save the logs and post them for me. It may need to be scanned in safe mode(I have no clue since I don't know what the infections its finding are).

While your over there run ewido and kaspersky online and then save logs. Then post them both in your hjt topic.

Save the logs and post them for me. It may need to be scanned in safe mode(I have no clue since I don't know what the infections its finding are).

While your over there run ewido and kaspersky online and then save logs. Then post them both in your hjt topic.

Will do. Funny though. I have all the Ad-blockers enabled on Maxthon on their computer and yet pop-up Ad's still come up. Their computer must have some viruses or... something because Maxthon has the best pop-up/Ad blocker that I know of.

• Moderators

I didn't look to in depth at the last log you posted because some people were already posting in it and it gets cluttered and confusing with everyone shouting directions. Did you scan the computer with all the usual programs?

http://forum.ccleaner.com/index.php?showtopic=6329

Anyway with the ewido log, kaspersky log, and and a fresh hjt log we should be able to figure it out. :D

Some of these programs have some "Real-time protection" thingy.. (or something like that)

Would you people recommend enabling it?

Or just run your PC without enabling this.. and from time to time just scan it for adware, malware, etc?

I ran BitDefender's scan and it removed like... 4 viruses. I can't quite remember. I ran Ewido, Lavasoft and Spybot. I find Spybot to not help much cause I don't believe it removes what it list.

But I will see what I can do. I want to reformatt the dang HDD but they won't let me.

• Moderators

Depends on which program your using. Most of the programs offer the scanner for free and you have to pay for real time. Personally I don't think its worth buying.

As long as you have an antivirus, spyware blaster, keep windows up to date, and have a firewall you should be good to go. :)

Also using an alternative browser such as firefox or opera will help you stay spyware free as well.(plus with adblock and FF you wouldn't see those ads at the top of the page. :P)

Some of these programs have some "Real-time protection" thingy.. (or something like that)

Would you people recommend enabling it?

Or just run your PC without enabling this.. and from time to time just scan it for adware, malware, etc?

I use what's in my Sig. I highly Recommend Maxthon though. I think its better then FireFox and even Opera in my opinion.

• Moderators

Before firefox hit 1.0 I used to use maxthon. Firefox was too buggy back then.:(

The thing with firefox is extensions. They allow you to do pretty much anything you would ever want to do with a browser. Maxthon is the best of the IE shells but I can't wait to see what they turn into once IE7 is finalized. Worthless? Or maybe they will adapt. Time will only tell. :D

You should check out the 2.0 preview release of Maxthon... pretty dang good!!!

I just used A-Squared FREE somewhat...

(had it installed for a while now .. but hardly used it) :)

Upon checking for Update.. it upgraded to version 2.0...

And then i scanned a bit with it...

It found a bit of crap - in registry, tracking cookies, etc.. and i deleted those.. but i never went though the whole scan.. (when it went to files .. it went for long time without finding anything.. so i stopped.. cuz i know PC should be pretty clean...

but, lol - A-Squared 2.0 identified my MiRC as "high risk" IRC.Client programs... and even checked them on it's own...

hehe - i use MiRC on occasion - so i unchecked those checks..and left MiRC alone :)

Earlier i tried SuperAntiSpyware FREE version (talked about above)..

and it did find some stuff also.. - this and that.. mostly some tracking stuff, etc.. So i quarantened them too.. (or deleted them - can't even remember what the proggy did with them) :)

Found it to be pretty good actually..

Other then that - as i mentined earlier - my Antivirus is AntiVir (Free version) .. - i find it to be pretty good...

Also use Ad-aware, SpyBot, Spyware Blaster, and now i guess A-squared and SuperAntiSpyware on occasion ;)

I use what's in my Sig. I highly Recommend Maxthon though. I think its better then FireFox and even Opera in my opinion.

I was running IA 6.0 (for Win ME) on my PC...

Heard some good things about FireFox... BUT never tried it..

LOL, .. i just went and downloaded and installed, BOTH - FireFox and this Maxthon that you mentioned.. and they are both pretty Good actually :)

I like 'em..

Browsing currently with FireFox..

Maxthon installed me some WeatherBug thingy.. i actually don't mind it :)

IE is still my default one ... for now anyhow