Firefox Extensions

rridgely

Try OptimizeGoogle. It is carrying on from CustomizeGoogle.

I did, and most of that still didn't work when I tried it a while back. So have installed Greasemonkey instead and using scripts to achieve the same functions.

On a side note I wish we knew what happened to the original developer, he was a regular updater and poster on the CG Google group and suddenly without warning disappeared and never posted again. I do hope nothing happened to him :unsure:

• 1 month later...

One of the reasons I don't use a modified hosts file is I don't like that lack of control over when it's active or not (ie it's always on). Well I've just found this extension and it seems to work a treat, just a click of the status bar icon to switch between host files :) :

SwitchHosts: Allows you to manage and switch between multiple hosts file quickly and easily. Of course, the refresh of DNS is executed at once.

the Hosts file is audited, security is safe.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/14258

• Moderators

Imgur, my favourite Image Hosting Site, now has a Firefox addon which enables you to right click an image on a web page and load it straight into the link generating page ready to post a thumbnail to forums etc..

Imgur:

Extension:

I have to say this site is the slickest Image Hosting Site I've seen, and well worth looking over to check out it's features.

Yeah, Imgur is also my favorite image hosting site. Made a post on it last year: http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=142302 :lol: I think this extension for Google Chrome is similar to the extension you mentioned: https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail...gepdkjecopegkag Not sure if it works though, as I haven't tried it out yet.

Btw Dennis, this is way off topic, but if I were to use Returnil, what version of it would you suggest I use? The version you have in your signature or the latest 2010 version?

• Moderators
Btw Dennis, this is way off topic, but if I were to use Returnil, what version of it would you suggest I use? The version you have in your signature or the latest 2010 version?

I would stick with the 2008 version which unfortunately has been take down from cnet, which is where that link connects to. I'll source another download of that version if I can Ice.

To be honest, I can't level criticism at the new version, as it's probably evolved beyond the versions which gave me an unrecoverable BSOD (Disk Image to the rescue), but I wouldn't try it again, and I don't want the built in A/V if it still comes with that.

Okay, from your quick review of the 2010 version right there, and the unrecoverable BSOD, I don't think I'll try the 2010 version. And yes, it still does come with a built in AV. No wonder it seemed unusual that the 2008 Returnil download was only about 3 megs., while the new 2010 download is almost 30 megs. :lol:

One of the reasons I don't use a modified hosts file is I don't like that lack of control over when it's active or not (ie it's always on). Well I've just found this extension and it seems to work a treat, just a click of the status bar icon to switch between host files :) :

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/14258

Just to add to my previous post, have just discovered the rather excellent fact that the extensions status bar text changes colour if the hosts file is blocking a page you are trying to load. No more wondering if a page isn't loading because of the hosts file, and if it is just a single click to switch to the original hosts file. I'm really liking this method of hosts file control B)

• 3 weeks later...
Let me know if there are problems still

AJ

Nope, still there I'm afraid. Have been doing some googling (was annoying me as to why it wasn't being blocked and I have come across it on another site once before) and it turns out it's quite a notoriously difficult popunder to block (Google livejasmin popup and see for yourself). Only way's I can find of blocking it are to set a specific rule in Noscript, which I don't use as it bugs the hell out of me. Or far easier, there is a Greasemonkey script that blocks them which seems to work well on my initial testing:

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/67246

Incidentally from my Googling, if you allow cookies you should only see the popup once in 24 hours, as I restrict them it pops up with every click.

That's so weird - can you go to the Desktop backgrounds page in the Lounge and see if it does it for mine there?? When I clicked here on my initial two pictures, I was able to replicate it. But after I posted them again, I wasn't able to duplicate it.

AJ

That's so weird - can you go to the Desktop backgrounds page in the Lounge and see if it does it for mine there?? When I clicked here on my initial two pictures, I was able to replicate it. But after I posted them again, I wasn't able to duplicate it.

Did you note my last comment that if you allow cookies you should only see it once? (I found it would happen on first click, then not again UNLESS you refreshed the page then clicked it, then you would get the popup)

Also I searched the site for 'imagebam' to check other screenshots and the same popup came up with every linked pic when clicking to enlarge them.

EDIT: Just to confirm, as you asked, I just tried your screenshots in the desktop backgrounds thread and as expected they also have the popup.

I can see both your pictures.

Just a point, is your IE disabled because of 3.6? IE coral works fine.

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

I would go along with the two suggested above.

My favourite now is Imgur, which needs a little time to suss out how it works, but once you do, it is amazingly slick.

Just remember "small square" is Imgur speak for thumbnail. Quaint.