Secure erasing

I think when the secure erasing is selected, CC should also do this when wiping a file:

- clean the file's cluster tip / slack space (that's the most important one)

- scramble the file name, date, etc.

- perhaps also erase the alternate data stream if it exists (although I guess adding that could be too much hassle)

That's really secure file deleting. Of course there are tons of erasers that do that, but the point is that when a user gives the task of secure deleting of some files to CC, CC should do the task securely on its own. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think when the secure erasing is selected, CC should also do this when wiping a file:

- clean the file's cluster tip / slack space (that's the most important one)

- scramble the file name, date, etc.

- perhaps also erase the alternate data stream if it exists (although I guess adding that could be too much hassle)

That's really secure file deleting. Of course there are tons of erasers that do that, but the point is that when a user gives the task of secure deleting of some files to CC, CC should do the task securely on its own. :)

I am not a computer expert so this is a bit over my head. I would like CCleaner to security erase all of the unused portion of my hard drive. I assume that this is not done when I security erase files that CCleaner deletes. Am I correct? If so, is there a good free program to what I need?

Tom

I am not a computer expert so this is a bit over my head. I would like CCleaner to security erase all of the unused portion of my hard drive. I assume that this is not done when I security erase files that CCleaner deletes. Am I correct? If so, is there a good free program to what I need?

Tom

Yes, you are correct.

To overwrite files and erase the unused portion of your hard drive you can use:

Eraser

Yes, you should use Eraser, that was built from the ground to the top with the only goal of secure erasing.

CCleaner recently had the secure deletion feature added, it was never intended for this. See the secure deletion future in CCleaner as a bonus. It's nice to have, but if you're serious then you get a dedicated secure eraser built with the sole intention of secure erasing, such as Eraser.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png