Over-cautious? and keyloggers

sidd

I'm a newbie here and relatively a non-techie, but very concerned about Windows security and so would greatly appreciate any feedback and evaluation explained in layman's terms.

I'm operating on Windows 2000, professional version, which came installed on my laptop. I currently run CCleaner after I finish each of my sessions on the web (I sort of consider it analogous to washing my hands after using the bathroom). My main web browser (used 90% of the time) is Firefox (I will also use Opera and Mozilla before resorting to IE). I currently have Sunbelt Kerio personal firewall (paid version) running, plus my ISP's modem also has a firewall. My anit-virus software is AVG (free version). And finally I have three anti-spy software programs running: Webroot Spy Sweeper, Spybot Search and Destroy, and AdAware SE - I make a scan on each of these about once a week.

Before I installed CCleaner, my anti-spy scans would come up with a moderate amount of finds (usually cookies), but after I started using CCleaner, my antip-spy scans usually comes up with nothing at all. I'm a little concerned that since I know CCleaner isn't meant to be an anti-virus or anti-spy program, might there be something wrong with the anti-spy programs themselves, could they be affected by CCleaner or something else (I do make sure to update these programs on a regular basis)? I'm consistently coming up with a clean slate on each scan and I'm a little wary about that

So after all that, I'm wondering if any experts out there could tell me if they think I'm being over-cautious, or not cautious enough.

I'm also wondering about keyloggers - is there any simple, efficient way to detect and remove keyloggers from my system? (I wouldn't even know how to tell if there were any intursions in the first place.) I'm on a private personal laptop, and there should be no reason for anyone to be monitoring my keystrokes.

Again, I greatly appreciate any feedback and opinions anyone out there could give me. Thanks.

hey there and welcome sidd!

your scanner should come up if there are any keyloggers installed.

most of those detect almost all keyloggers.

if your running all those scanners and there was a keylogger, theres a good chance it would find it.

as for the cookies, Ccleaner deletes those.

that would explain why their not showing up on sunbelt kerio anymore.

a cookie is just a string of numbers and text saved in notepad that tells webpages how many times you viewed their page, how long you stayed on, and other information like that.

lastly, you have every right to be cautious!

its your laptop!

-aaron

• Moderators

Also sidd, if you haven't already done so have a read of this

http://www.internetrotsyourbrain.com/ccleanerbeginnersguide/

Your set up sounds reasonable and you obviously take care when online, so happy surfing!

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

hey there and welcome sidd!

your scanner should come up if there are any keyloggers installed.

most of those detect almost all keyloggers.

if your running all those scanners and there was a keylogger, theres a good chance it would find it.

as for the cookies, Ccleaner deletes those.

that would explain why their not showing up on sunbelt kerio anymore.

a cookie is just a string of numbers and text saved in notepad that tells webpages how many times you viewed their page, how long you stayed on, and other information like that.

lastly, you have every right to be cautious!

its your laptop!

-aaron

Thanks for the info on finding keylogging - it clears things up for me.

Actually, it's the scans I run on my anti-spy programs that concern me, not the Sunbelt Kerio Firewall program (which, by the way, works great - I almost never get any pop-ups while browsing the web, and a lot of irritating ads on web pages are blocked as well). Also, I already understood that CCleaner cleans out the cookies, it's other stuff that the anti-spy programs might not be catching that concerns me, hence my question: am I being over-cautious? I'd like to think that CCleaner is just a great product and exceeding my expectations of it, on the other hand I don't want to be lulled into a false sense of security and start using it as a substitute for the anti-spy, anti-virus programs I have, despite the fact that no problems have been showing up since I started using CCleaner.

Anyway, thanks much for the responses.

Ccleaner is in NO WAY a substitute for ANY anti-spy or anti-virus.

it only takes care of the crap left in your computer.

it looks like you have good scanners and i would probably be fine with that but im no expert when it comes to keeping a computer protected from viruses, hackers, malware, or anything else.

if you are truely concerned you have something on your system, i suggest posting a log.

instructions

where to post the log