Netveda Firewall

rridgely

Darn it. All was going well until it started to crash, or wouldn't load the service. I really liked it, but I'm not going to put with that.

I said it too quick. Did it just crash on its own? What happened exactlY? :mellow:

• Moderators

It crashed on it's own several times even after rebooting and I wasn't even on the Internet so it couldn't have been from some other computer causing problems.

What did it do when it crashed:

It crashed! Then Windows offered to send a report but since I wasn't online I cancelled that. I hadn't even touched the configuration after my initial setup, however I thought adding all those restricted sites may have been the problem but even after removing them it still would crash on me.

As for it no wanting to load sometimes, well it isn't the only program that has given me that problem because Paint.net was the same way along with some other apps, however I'm not infected with anything and all the hardware tests I've did come up clean so who knows what it is - possibly some buggy driver somewhere.

• Moderators

Well that sucks! I have been running it nonstop since I downloaded it and haven't noticed any problems. Maybe try reinstalling it and giving it one more chance. I was really hoping for this to be the last firewall I would ever need to try. I just hope it dosen't start crashing on me too.

To all the others who downloaded netveda have you had any issues yet?

• Moderators

Maybe try reinstalling it and giving it one more chance.

I did that, I even went as far as using a System Restore point I made before installing it to "completely" get rid of it and still had problems. I'm thinking something is f'd in my system but trying to find it is difficult.

it might not be the firewall which is the culprit but it could also be some other application which injects a dll in it so that it works. but then again, i could be wrong. i've been using it ever since yesterday and i haven't had any problems.

@Andvari: wow you actually get asked to report it to Microsoft? turn of the service. it's one of the most useless ones found in Windows XP.

@Andvari: wow you actually get asked to report it to Microsoft? turn of the service. it's one of the most useless ones found in Windows XP.

No, you don't want to disable that service because reporting those issues will allow for Microsoft to let the developers know of their software issues and fix them. Plus, when you send the report it can often tell you if a fix is available.

You should definitely read the posts here, here and definitely here.

No, you don't want to disable that service because reporting those issues will allow for Microsoft to let the developers know of their software issues and fix them. Plus, when you send the report it can often tell you if a fix is available.

You should definitely read the posts here, here and definitely here.

most of the time their software doesn't crash because i don't use their software. if i were to send a report about lets say Media Player Classic(i'm using a build from CVS :P), then it would go somewhere and Microsoft would most likely not care because they didn't make it. Besides, if anyone wants to report an error, there are forums. I'm also willing to bet that a large number of those error reports aren't even read by Microsoft CodeMonkeys :)

now back to the original topic: does anyone know how to use it to block ads? i put the HOSTS file which andvari mentioned in Deny Sites but i don't know how to activate the blocking thing.

• Moderators

How much ram is comodo using right now? I know it has a few processes and then the control center thing as well.

This program only uses like 12000k and is the lightest software firewall I haver ever seen. Its personal preference but its probably worth trying.(its not like you cant switch back if you dont like it)

Ghosted,got rid of ZAP and installed Netveda.

Took a bit of fiddling to get used to and set up properly.

Had a couple of probs that took a bit to sort out.

ATM it is rocksolid so I will leave it at that.

With ZAP,every now and then, I seemed to have some sort of net activity with no connections showing.Probably ZAP itself.

With Netveda there's no activity at all unless I instigate it.

At this stage it's Netveda over ZAP and thanks to rridgely for pointing it out. :)

Will make a ghost image and try out Comodo a bit later on.

Anyone got a winappi 2 entry to clean up any Netveda logs?

allrighty then. time to get rid of this firewall. recently, i've had a lot of problems with it that just pissed me off. the first was its ability to block slashdot's images making the entire website load slooooowly. the images never even showed up. i tried everything i could to resolve it but nothing worked. the second issue was its option to block "Active Content". that thing blocks .swf files and maybe others. when i used it, flash files didn't work. i even placed the website in the "allow active code" group and it still blocked it. i've also had various other irritations so due to this, i'm getting rid of it.

edit:btw, this firewall doesn't seem to be free. i just looked a bit at NetVeda's forums to resolve some of the issues that i had and i saw that people has an error saying "License has Expired". i also noticed that their forums isn't a good place for support since nobody ever answers :P

• Moderators

Thanks for letting us know about your issues. I don't go to slashdot so I didn't know it could cause issues but I found the setting that was causing it.

If you go to security>Content Secuity> Uncheck the box that says disable content encoding. Now slashdot will load right up. :)

What were your other issues so I can see if they can be fixed.

The license thing I will have to look into as well.

I haven't had any issues with it yet so I'm quite happy.

go to Administration > Security > Second Tab > check "Block Active Code" or whatever it was called. go to Groups and select "Allow Active Code". now put in some website that you know has a flash file on it. go back to Security's second tab and then next to the checkbox, select "Allow Active Code". Go to that website and try to see if the .swf files will be blocked. i've tried this and it doesn't work. it ALWAYS blocks flash no matter what you do. well, except if you uncheck the Block Active code ;)

• Moderators

go to Administration > Security > Second Tab > check "Block Active Code" or whatever it was called. go to Groups and select "Allow Active Code". now put in some website that you know has a flash file on it. go back to Security's second tab and then next to the checkbox, select "Allow Active Code". Go to that website and try to see if the .swf files will be blocked. i've tried this and it doesn't work. it ALWAYS blocks flash no matter what you do. well, except if you uncheck the Block Active code ;)

Well allot of the changes that take place in it can only be activated by:

1. Pressing Allow All (which disables the firewall)

2. Then re-enabling it.

Aside from the problems I had with it disabling it and re-enabling it didn't sound like a good ideal to me.

Also I was wondering if it was really "free" as I seem to remember it as a commercial application somewhere, yet the website stated it as free. Who knows.

After a couple of days I find it to be running well within my setup.

If I tick "warn possible non-standard network access" under the Internet security tab it takes about a min for my adsl connection to show up at startup.

Unticked it shows up as per usual which is almost instant.

Default user and computer are set to "unimited access",Content security is not used and Enable component trust is unticked as KAV's proactive defense looks after that side of things.

I really only need it to stop outbound connections such as WMP phoning home as I have a hardware firewall.

Alerts log always shows two entries "abnormal service termination" for every startup which I can't pinpoint.

I intend sticking with Netveda as I stated before that with ZAP there seemed to be some brief network activity every now and then.

Netveda blocks all the phone home programs and it just seems rocksolid with no little network bursts as was the case with ZAP.

Does anyone else have those "abnormal service termination" in the alerts log after startup?There is no other info provided.

Well allot of the changes that take place in it can only be activated by:

1. Pressing Allow All (which disables the firewall)

2. Then re-enabling it.

Aside from the problems I had with it disabling it and re-enabling it didn't sound like a good ideal to me.

Also I was wondering if it was really "free" as I seem to remember it as a commercial application somewhere, yet the website stated it as free. Who knows.

i've already tried that(it mentions doing that sometimes) but no luck. that seems to be the only issue that i have right now :)

I uninstalled Sygate on my Win2000 PC and attempted to install Netveda. It blue-screened near the end of the install. Windows wouldn't come all the way up and I had to uninstall what I could of Netveda in safe mode. Once I was up again, I could no longer access the net. Among other things, all entries in my Network and Dial-up Connections window were gone.

This was last week. Long story short, I had to get the OS reinstalled at a shop. (I didn't have a choice since I lost my W2k disks in a recent relocation.) I'm not sure if Netveda was to blame, but I can't believe it butchered up things to the point it did. It sure didn't like something about my setup.