sound doesnt work

TheFiresInTheSky

my sound on my laptop doesnt work at all.

i go to sounds and audio devices properties in the control pannel and everything is grayed out.

i go to device manager and nothing has an ! or X except for some video things which are working fine so im not that worried about them.

i have a satellite 1005 S157 and have downloaded the drivers from Toshiba and i uninstalled the one that was installed, installed this one, restarted, and it still doesnt work.

any suggestions?

EDIT: i think winamp caused this problem because it said there was a security update and it was strongly recommended but i didnt download it till a couple days later.

• Moderators

This may or may not work:

1. Right click My Computer and select Properties

2. Then go into Hardware->Device Manager

3. Scroll down to 'Sound, video and game controllers' and then right click it and select Scan For hardware changes.

3a. If there's no hardware changes you can optionally open each sub-component by right clicking them and selecting Properties to see if the devices are functioning correctly. You can also check for updates.

3b. If the devices are functioning properly and if there's no updates some of the sub-components can be temporarily uninstalled via right clicking them and selecting Uninstall, then reboot Windows and it will auto-detect all the hardware again and "perhaps fix it."

you sure those are the correct drivers? i dunno what kind of laptop you have of what it has inside it so i can't be much help.

this link might be the answer to your troubles but i am not 100% sure. if it doesn't work, then uninstall these drivers. http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CAR...river-391.shtml

also, i seriously doubt that Winamp could cause something like this. all it does is play music. but if it really did it, then this is proof that Winamp sucks.

and finally, go to Start > Run and type in "services.msc" without the quotes and go down the list to where it says "Windows Audio". make sure that the service is enabled. if it isn't Enable it.

edit: why did you post when i was posting :(

• Moderators

i seriously doubt that Winamp could cause something like this. all it does is play music.

Agreed, it's unlikely.

and finally, go to Start > Run and type in "services.msc" without the quotes and go down the list to where it says "Windows Audio". make sure that the service is enabled. if it isn't Enable it.

I didn't know that, just learned something new! :)

why did you post when i was posting :(

Yeah but you offered information I didn't even think about! Two minds are better than one! ;)

wow! your a god!

never even thought to look there!

i owe you, thanks!

problem solved.

EDIT: people at MG.com couldnt even figure this one out!

what's MG.com?

that's funny that it worked. when i disabled the service today, it didn't stop foobar2000 from playing :P. and yes i'm using DirectSound and not Kernel Streaming :). Maybe a restart could have stopped it but if it solved your problem, i don't care :)

• 3 weeks later...

hello and welcome.

what OS are you running? ex. 98, XP, ect..

you may need to install some drivers so we'll need to know what model and type of computer you have.

thanks.

-aaron

hello and welcome.

what OS are you running? ex. 98, XP, ect..

you may need to install some drivers so we'll need to know what model and type of computer you have.

thanks.

-aaron

Windows 2000

All I can tell you about my computer is that's a Dell(I know next to nothing about specs)

I have SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

thats alright.

have you tried andavari's post?

This may or may not work:

1. Right click My Computer and select Properties

2. Then go into Hardware->Device Manager

3. Scroll down to 'Sound, video and game controllers' and then right click it and select Scan For hardware changes.

3a. If there's no hardware changes you can optionally open each sub-component by right clicking them and selecting Properties to see if the devices are functioning correctly. You can also check for updates.

3b. If the devices are functioning properly and if there's no updates some of the sub-components can be temporarily uninstalled via right clicking them and selecting Uninstall, then reboot Windows and it will auto-detect all the hardware again and "perhaps fix it."

EDIT: optionally, if that doesnt work, you can try dell driver downloads