NetZero and/or PeoplePC

Mike Rochip

I've been using NetZero for a long time now and lately I've been being disconnected a lot more than usual, sometimes every few minutes or every 1/2 hour to an hour or so. Since I've been getting "Unable to contact our network" messages upon reconnect attempts the issue appears to be on their end. I can't find anything on my PC or the phone line that would seem to cause this.

Are any other NetZero subscribers having this happen lately?

Anyone have opinions on PeoplePC as far as usability goes?

I hope to get cable or DSL service sometime in the future but for now I have to dwell in the Stone Age :angry: ...

Thanks for any help and make jokes if you have to, someday I'll advance to the 21st century!

Monetary donations will be gratefully accepted.

• Moderators

You could uninstall the NetZero software, reboot, and reinstall it to see if that actually fixes anything, good luck. Aside from the connection problem I think all dial-up is pretty much the same, and if you can connect via dial-up networking without using or installing the typically crappy ISP software all the better.

Mike I also have net zero, it also came with a norton disk also which i finally was able to uninstall because it was a netzero version & both are bundled with malware, Mainly tracking cookies, not necesarily dangerous but a major pain, Until a day or 2 ago I also got the same error message, My problem was My phone line Awhile back I completely rewired it , It got better for awhile. Then all of a sudden I couldn,t even get online . I took My phone out & plugged it into the box on the outside of the house, in the lower portion of the box it says customer accsess , unplug the black plug , plug Your phone in & dial 1 & listen for even the smallest amount of static, If You have any at all The phone Co needs to replace that box, That Completely fixed My problem , Since then I,ve been online for 36 hours & NO disconnects, Not sure if that helps or not, But My inside phone had no static So thats what was suggested to Me, It,s worth a try, As far as people pc I also was going to get it But at the time I had a pirated version of windows with sp1, & You have to have sp2, Which I now have So I will soon switch over & let You know how it works, Good luck, Cowboy

• Moderators

Good suggestion, however the phone company will and should check the line for free here in the U.S. and they're responsible as well for making sure it's in good working order.

Edit:

* And going even one step further replacing the phone line going into your modem may be of some help.

* Something that perplexed me for days a couple of years ago was when my answering machine phone wire become faulty (didn't know about it for two whole days) it caused all sorts of connection problems - even though it was in a completely different room and wasn't even connected to the PC modem, therefore checking the connection of all phones in the house is a must.

• Moderators

$12.99 for six months and then what is it priced at?

One of the reasons I'm so reluctant to switch ISP's is because some of them actually require the usage of their software - something which I've never liked and never will.

Parvez That would be great in My opinion , but cable is not available to all people, I,m out in the boonies & am lucky to have phone lines & I think Mike Might be in the same boat, & Andavari, Yes there was no charge for what They did because it was theyre box If it would have been a problem out of the box It gets expensive real quick, Plus for some reason when they test the lines They only can test up to the box They Say, Anyway It may not be Mikes problem but it solved mine, & Your also correct about installing theyre softwate, it sucks, But In My case I very few options, & What online dialup service can You get without theyre software I,m ready to switch . As I said I am thinking of People pc but i also have to install theyre disk it also comes with norton which i despise, Are there any other options You know of. I live in Kansas Usa, Thanks Cowboy

$12.99 for six months and then what is it priced at?

One of the reasons I'm so reluctant to switch ISP's is because some of them actually require the usage of their software - something which I've never liked and never will.

After 6 months the price is $45.95 for every month. For me, before the 6 months end, there's always another great deal that comes up so I basically cancel my service and re-order for that new deal. ;) LOL! weird eh?

288olaow8888cq2.jpg

• Moderators

What online dialup service can You get without theyre software

1. You install their software, get the dialup access numbers for your area and save them into a text document.

2. Uninstall their software.

3. Click 'All Programs->Accessories->Communications->New Connection Wizard' to setup a new Dial-up Networking connection and input the ISP info including the access numbers, your user information (name, password, etc).

4. Done, you'll connect via Microsoft Dial-up Networking without the ISP software.

Note: This doesn't work with all ISP's!

Thanks everyone for the help. The connection has been pretty good lately. The phone lines seems OK so maybe it was just a temporary problem. So I guess I'll keep using NZ for now until I can afford a cable connection. If it gets bad again I'll probably try PeoplePC.

Thanks for the New Connection Wizard idea Andavari. It did connect and log on to NZ but NZ restricted access to everything but the NZ website. I think it's because exec.exe [NetZero program] isn't running.

Many years ago I couldn't get online but I could hear a baseball game from my modem speaker. I had used the wrong type of phone cord between the modem and the wall so I guess maybe it acted like an antenna for the modem. Took awhile to figure that one out.

• Moderators

Many years ago I couldn't get online but I could hear a baseball game from my modem speaker. I had used the wrong type of phone cord between the modem and the wall so I guess maybe it acted like an antenna for the modem. Took awhile to figure that one out.

LOL that would be pretty crazy. :P

My appologies To Tarun & all others about My lack of Grammer skills . I never finished grade school So I Aint real smart. I,ll try to do better. Thanks for All of the help & Your Patience. Cowboy

Parvez That would be great in My opinion , but cable is not available to all people, I,m out in the boonies & am lucky to have phone lines & I think Mike Might be in the same boat, & Andavari, Yes there was no charge for what They did because it was theyre box If it would have been a problem out of the box It gets expensive real quick, Plus for some reason when they test the lines They only can test up to the box They Say, Anyway It may not be Mikes problem but it solved mine, & Your also correct about installing theyre softwate, it sucks, But In My case I very few options, & What online dialup service can You get without theyre software I,m ready to switch . As I said I am thinking of People pc but i also have to install theyre disk it also comes with norton which i despise, Are there any other options You know of. I live in Kansas Usa, Thanks Cowboy

Cowboy , you can create a manual dialup with Earthlink without using their software. I did. Just sign up for their dialup internet service and once you have your user name and password and are in their system , you can create a manual dialup. It is far better than their software. Their tech support can lead you through the process if needed.

Thanks for the New Connection Wizard idea Andavari. It did connect and log on to NZ but NZ restricted access to everything but the NZ website. I think it's because exec.exe [NetZero program] isn't running.

When I used to have NZ, I had like 10hrs of limited usage. After that 10hrs, it would connect but allowed access to their website ONLY. :angry:

288olaow8888cq2.jpg